• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lowering links for c-14

The only ones that are available that I know will work with the center stand are the T-Rex Links.

I built my own Links as the Commercially available ones lowered the bike more than I wanted.
  {I had Muzzy's}

NOTE: After lowering the bike, it took Hercules to get the bike on the Center stand.
              To solve this, I shortened my Center stand.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted understood, From what I have been reading Soupys will definitely not work with centerstand could be some others as well.
I do know how to weld so that may not be that big of a problem or carry a a piece of 2x6 with me.
How much did the muzzys lower your bike?   

I think it was about 1 3/4". 1 3/8"..
NOTE: Only way to know exact drop is (before you change the links) measure axle to frame (with the bike on the stand).
          Next; install the links and re-measure.  (axle to frame with the bike on the stand)
              Then find the difference. (That difference is the "actual" drop).
          Many measure ground to frame, but because of too much sag, that is not a proper measurement.

To build mine; I bought some ZX-14 links, shortened them, and welded back together.
My current drop is 3/4".
    I like 3/4" much better.

Most like the 1 3/4 1 3/8", but was too much for me as I drug too much in the corners.. <grin>

NOTE again; The ZX-14 link cut was much harder than I expected (as the material was so hard).
                    We wore out 3 mills cutters doing the cut.
If there is another way to do a precision cut, the ZX-14 Links would be ideal as the links can be found for about $20, and cut to whatever drop a person wants.
Another major issue is the welder must be very good to assure a good weld.
    {A broken weld could ruin your day}
Luckily, my Buddy is an expert.

Final note; Some buy ZX-14 links and use them as is, but that is a major drop!!!
                    I didn't install/measure, but I suspect about 3"..

Ride safe, Ted

Ted 1.75 is excessive trying to get 1.25 to 1.5 looking at getting a RDL made and just try to be prepared.
Already have a short inseem

My OOps;
  I went back and checked my old notes. Appears the Muzzy was 1 3/8"...
        My guess is the T-Rex are the same.

My home made Link is between 5/8 and 3/4"..
  My seat is also lower, and I added preload to set the sag after I installed the Links.
    {Most stock C-14's the sag is soft. Actually adjusting pre load to suggested setting will raise the seat height of the bike}..

Ride safe, Ted

Buy a T-Rex and it should be fine.
It is fine for most. Was just more than I wanted.

I suggest, {after installing it} also drop the front about 1/2"-3/4" to keep the geometry closer to stock, and (more importantly) set your sag..

Ride safe, Ted

TEd thanks for all your info, may have found a set of project d links  will see what happens with them.
Seller says 1.5"lower,had planned on raising forks already.

Scot, when you get the new Links, please do the measurement's I posted and let us know what they were.
Also can you please measure the {hole to hole} length of the OEM and new Link's?
      Would be interesting to see what they are.

NOTE: The difference in the length of the Links will NOT be the same as the drop due to the suspension geometry.
              {The Lowering Links will be longer than the OEM}
                      (I suspect about XXX longer)

PS: I did calculations based on the Muzzy's to determine the final length of my home made Link.
            Your numbers will help me check my calculations.

Ride safe, Ted

Haven't made the deal yet but when and if it goes thru will post what I find out.
Dows anyone know anything about plastic washers that are used with the links or is this just a Project D thing?

I tried the Soupys but missed center stand so bought a set for a z 1400 to low found a set of used Muzzys they work great for me.I used the soupys adjustable side stand.