• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lowering the C14 and suspension upgrade at Traxxion

Beachbumbiker

Contemplating getting a penski shock and their cartridge etc for the front this year. My bike is a 2012 with original components. I stopped in there to visit last fall and was really impressed. They can also set the bike lower up to 1" and have the shock built for that drop.

Just wondering if anyone has had any ground clearance issues....speed bumps, cornering etc.

Thanks.

I had cornering clearance issues stock with a 50 series tire. Any lower would be a huge negative for me. I swapped to a 190/55 rear and did a fork rebuild with new springs and it's still a scraper, but much better. The shock performance, even with the sag set in the correct range, is poor at speed. That's where I'd spend money, i have no issues with the refreshed fork performance, though i do run a soft compound (diablo rosso corsa) front for feel and sharper steering carcass geometry. TLDR: Shock yes, bike runs out of angle before fork performance is an issue.  :great:

With the stock suspension and tires I occasionally drag my boots now. I was contemplating a 1/2” drop just for a little more leverage as my inseam is 30” and I notice the top heaviness. Had the C14 going on 8 years and still greatly enjoy it. I’ve demoed the hell out of just about everything else and other than the new wing (too much $$ ) I keep coming back to the C14 and thinking, damn what a fine machine. It needs a suspension refresh so I’ll give some more thought to how far, if any, to drop it down.

Dave, I lowered mine using Muzzy Links and raising the fork tubes.
The Muzzy's lowered the rear about 1 1/4" which I felt was too much.
So, I built my own Links and changed the drop to 3/4"..
In my case, less seemed to be better.

I'm not Joe Rocket, but I feel like I'm capable of a pretty good pace and I didn't have any lean problems either way.
I do drag my toe occasionally, but not a peg dragger.
I've never drug the headers when passing over a speed bump etc either.

Final note; Regardless of how much or which manner you choose to lower the bike, be sure to set the sag.
Many have it set too soft and drag, because of shock compression in the corners etc...

Ride safe, Ted

I removed 1" from my center stand, and heated/bent the side stand out slightly.
That slight bend allows the bike to lean over the correct amount when the side stand is used.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I removed 1" from my center stand, and heated/bent the side stand out slightly.
That slight bend allows the bike to lean over the correct amount when the side stand is used.

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Ted,
Any weakness you've detected in the sidestand since doing that? Thanks.

I've had no problems, and I did it twice/twice.
  {I did it on multiple bikes. My C-10 and my C-14}
    I heated/bent it on both bikes when I initially lowered them, and then heated/bent it back slightly when I changed the height
        {back up a little}.

I used 4 steps to as I was concerned it might be an issue.
  * I bent the stand about 4" above the foot. Not at the top of the side stand.
        I feel that bending it there puts less stress on the heated area.     
  * I heated a 2"-3" area (not a tiny area) so the bend spreads over a wider area and is less tight .
  * I used a propane torch {because it was all I had at the time} and barely got the stand hot enough to glow red.
        The propane torch raises the temp more slowly and spreads that heated area out.
  * I allowed it to air cool.

NOTE: I did the bends with the stand on the bikes. {It takes very little bend to accomplish your goal}
        Bike on Center-stand, remove spring, wet rag over top of the side stand and direct the flame down and away from the bottom of the bike, "fire extinguisher handy", * heat, bend and test...
          {** If you have a buddy to hold the bike} Have him lean the bike away for you, heat the area, and work together to allow the weight of the bike to bend the stand the correct amount.

Ride safe, Ted

I lowered my 2017 with a set of adjustable lowering links from soupys they worked fine. But you have to remove center stand so I bought a set of links off a zx1400 and reinstalled the center stand.The Zx1400 link lowered the bike to much so I found a set of used Muzzy lowering links they are just right for me but they don't make them anymore and I can use the center stand again.