• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MADSTAD Install

RangerRay

Installed the MADSTAD windshield bracket on my '21. It was tough to make out the directions and more hardware came in the package than what I apparently needed, but after a lot of second guessing, I think I got it right.

It gave me the extra height I desired and moved the windshield further away from me, but I think a wider windshield would be better to use with the bracket. It's infinitely more adjustable now and it's going to take some trial and error to see if I really like it.

mad1.jpg

mad2.jpg

mad3.jpg

Madstad brackets work great, I've had them for quite a few years. I do have a very small MRA Vario shield, I can't speak for large shields.

Some members were reporting that a CalSci windshield impinges on the fairing panel immediately behind the shield. Might this be a good fix for the issue? What about them being used with a heavier shield - any durability problems?

It would definitely give you substantial clearance. I wonder sometimes if it’s not too much, but I’m still getting used to it. Just the added clearance alone has changed the airflow, even adjusted to the original slant.
And it’s definitely stout enough to handle a larger shield. It’s well made for sure.

What about them being used with a heavier shield - any durability problems?
Keep in mind that the bracket in which the windshield mounts to on the bike is a casting and has been known to brake. That part is not a service part and the entire windshield lift/lower assemble would have to be purchased (New or Used) OR the bracket will have to be repaired (not a simple or easy task).

Yea, I hadn’t thought about that. If the additional space between the shield and the lift arm created by the MADSTAD bracket increases forces on the lift arms, a larger shield might be pushing it to the limit. I’m no aeronautical engineer and don’t really know, but like I said before, that additional space the adjustable bracket creates definitely changed the airflow.

A smaller windshield (such as those supplied on the '08-09 models) shouldn't have enough area to put sufficient stress on the OEM mount when MadStad brackets are used. 2010-up probably won't, either - if the shield is kept in a lower position (or the bike isn't ridden at insane speeds o_O ).

When it's cold enough out that I have to use my oversized CalSci, I'm not going to ride at ton-plus velocities. I'll take back roads whenever possible and ride at a leisurely pace. It's worked well with the stock mounts, though I do have a set of Baker Air Wings mounted to serve as auxiliary deflectors.

Just for the record, a new windshield mechanism is $692.15 at partzilla. That's 7 percent below msrp. We all have different levels of tolerance to risk. It's an individual choice. It's also good to know what it costs when things don't work out like we planned.

I just checked Partshark out of Indianapolis and their price is $595. They have become my go to online parts house. They even answer the phone and will alter the order, as long as its not to close to shipping time. I used to use Ron Ayer but looked elsewhere when they quit answering the phone.

I just bought a mirror bracket for a friends bike. Partshark was $115, Partzilla was $158. I went with Partzilla because they had it in stock! Everybody else was 3-4 weeks.

Sorry to highjack but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Also, I run a giant windshield and made a new slider bracket when the original showed signs of failure. This one is a spare if anybody needs one. And I would make more if there's any interest.

Attachments

• 20210930_141016[3712].jpg
    20210930_141016[3712].jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 154
A smaller windshield (such as those supplied on the '08-09 models) shouldn't have enough area to put sufficient stress on the OEM mount when MadStad brackets are used. 2010-up probably won't, either - if the shield is kept in a lower position (or the bike isn't ridden at insane speeds o_O ).

When it's cold enough out that I have to use my oversized CalSci, I'm not going to ride at ton-plus velocities. I'll take back roads whenever possible and ride at a leisurely pace. It's worked well with the stock mounts, though I do have a set of Baker Air Wings mounted to serve as auxiliary deflectors.
When you say “oversized CalSci,” what do you mean? Do you have the large or the extra large? What are the dimensions of your shield? Can you post a photo of the CalSci shield?

Installed the MADSTAD windshield bracket on my '21. It was tough to make out the directions and more hardware came in the package than what I apparently needed, but after a lot of second guessing, I think I got it right.

It gave me the extra height I desired and moved the windshield further away from me, but I think a wider windshield would be better to use with the bracket. It's infinitely more adjustable now and it's going to take some trial and error to see if I really like it.

View attachment 30519

View attachment 30520

View attachment 30521

That looks very interesting! Now you've got me thinking about the larger screen being a possibility, especially riding during the colder months of the year (even in TX it gets chilly).

How much jacking around did you have to do to get the screen mounted and secured once the bracket was installed?

Thanks for sharing this project with us! Loving it!

That looks very interesting! Now you've got me thinking about the larger screen being a possibility, especially riding during the colder months of the year (even in TX it gets chilly).

How much jacking around did you have to do to get the screen mounted and secured once the bracket was installed?

Thanks for sharing this project with us! Loving it!
Like I said, the instructions weren’t very clear to me, but I’m no mechanic either. The challenge was figuring out which screws and washers to use. I can’t begin to explain, but I had some screws and some plastic washers that came with the bracket that were not used. That was confusing. Installing the bracket to the bike was fairly straightforward.

When you say “oversized CalSci,” what do you mean? Do you have the large or the extra large? What are the dimensions of your shield? Can you post a photo of the CalSci shield?
I think it's 4.5" taller than "stock" (for an 08-09) in the lowered position. Next time I have that shield on my '08 (which will happen soon, given fall and winter riding is almost upon Ohio) I'll take a couple of pics and post them.

No need to post your replies on the CalSci shields. I've already got one. I ordered the standard width because I thought I was getting one actually 2" wider per side, but because I measured on a straight plane instead of allowing for the curvature of the shield, the standard width was nearly exactly like my stock shield. It worked out, though, because the additional 2.5" in height made it just right.

And by just right, I mean that with the CalSci windshield AND the removal of that MADSTAD windshield bracket. The bracket just wasn't for me.

I'm now probably going to sell the MADSTAD windshield bracket. I don't think I'll ever want it again. It works as designed and may be useful to somebody else, so I'll probably post it up for sale.