• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Manicouagan Crater Lake

Tour1

Have any of you been up around this lake?  It was formed by a meteor impact and it's on my wish list of things I'd like to see.  I took a quick look at a map and it's way north, 977 miles from Long Island to a town on the east side called Relais-Gabriel so a summer vacation trip seems most possible.  Is it fairly civilized up there, or would it be an expedition?
In my original post I didn't pick a town & google maps found it but couldn't get there.
Now it says 18 hours.  The place is about twice the distance from Boston to the northernmost bit of Maine,  and if you look at that scale the crater shape is visible.

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Quebec_Route_389 said:
Route 389 (R-389) is a challenging road to drive. The road alternates between sections of asphalt and gravel. In places it is narrow and twisty. There are few services. You often have to share the road with lumber trucks that can go really fast when they are heading north empty.

The longest secondary road in Quebec, it passes the Manicouagan reservoir and large hydro-electric dams along its way to some very remote mining communities.

It begins at Route 138 in Baie-Comeau, which is connected to the rest of the Canadian highway network through Quebec City.
So it's a lot of gravel road and Relais-Gabriel is a dozen buildings, many of which look like the metal Quonset hut style.  The ring shape of the lake is surrounded by creeks and coves with no road access.  The only real road on the map is Quebec Route 389 going past the east side then continuing north.
The article advises to bring gasoline and potable water.
:confuse:
Probably not good for the Concours, SWMBO, or beginners.  Maybe a good exercise for the hearty canoe, jet ski or trailer boat camping type.  At 35 miles diameter it would be about 110 miles a lap, a 5 to 10 hour trip at mellow powerboat speed (yeah an hour and a half at 70 but what if you hit something in a place with no cell service etc).