• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

melted instrument bezel

daarkangyyll530

Has anyone else experienced the condition where the sun shining through the windshield focuses and melts the instrument cluster bezel?
I have to cover my windshield with a pillowcase to prevent the condition from occurring again. I currently have the V-Stream windshield equipped.

Wondering if raising the windshield slightly when parked would help the issue as more air could move around.

ie; When you shut the bike down, push the windshield button briefly to stop it from lowering automatically.

Ride safe, Ted

Wondering if raising the windshield slightly when parked would help the issue as more air could move around.

ie; When you shut the bike down, push the windshield button briefly to stop it from lowering automatically.

Ride safe, Ted
Ted, It may still be a problem unless it reduces the focal point of the deadly heat rays. Might be worth a try and costs nothing.

It doesn't matter the bike, I always cover the instrument cluster as standard operating procedure if the sun is out. Restoring a Guage cluster can be one of the most expensive parts in a restoration...and it's pretty easy to protect (at least when the bike is parked).

Way back when (2010-2011 time frame) there was a member making dash visors. These were fashioned from ABS sheet.

I bought one for my new-to-me 2008. Fast forward to 2012: They were no longer available when my '12 came home. I used the '08's visor as a model and constructed a plywood forming jig. I then cut and sanded a piece of ABS sheet, secured it to the form then heated the contraption in my oven.

It's functional but I could have done a bit better of a job. If I ever make a third (or more) I'll put the lessons learned to good use.

Perhaps someone else will begin making them commercially again.

I like the pillow case idea. Inexpensive and easily replaceable. Most of the time, I would just throw my riding jacket over the dash

I like the pillow case idea. Inexpensive and easily replaceable. Most of the time, I would just throw my riding jacket over the dash
I put my gloves over the instruments when I'm parked in a secure lot at work, but wouldn't anywhere else. I don't know if anyone makes a piece of fabric with elastic around the edges like a fitted sheet that might work? If so, I'm in!

At work I cover the entire machine then at home ā€˜Blueā€™ is garaged. Stopping at a rest side, attraction / park or lunch stop I try to drop my gloves on the dash but often I forget I see the prism of light projected onto the dash, luckily I have not experienced any damage at all.

Does anyone know what length of time it takes to create the heat needed to melt the plastic materials?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thanks for reminding me about the V Stream, I just put it back on after 7 years because I have an extra rider from time to time now,

I trimmed a little off the top long ago and was thinking about trimming a little off the side near the top where It gets wider.

I will cover it from now on.(y)

Does anyone know what length of time it takes to create the heat needed to melt the plastic materials?
Just focus the sun's rays from a magnifying glass onto your hand. You will become quickly educated.
As a kid, Didn't you ever burn ants with a magnifying glass as they came out of the ground?

burningants.jpg

I normally keep the bike under shelter, but last winter I was leaving in front of my house and putting the 10-year-old cover that I never use just to keep the dew off, well since my cover was so old a strip that was installed over the seam underneath came off where it covers the windshield, that seam area went over the little windshield attachment at the top of the big shield, It crystallized that strip where the seam met the windshield.
I bought a new cover;)

That's why your Scary Harry...

I have a little Russell terrier rescue with long hair I renamed Hairy.

Just focus the sun's rays from a magnifying glass onto your hand. You will become quickly educated.
As a kid, Didn't you ever burn ants with a magnifying glass as they came out of the ground?

View attachment 33055
I did not burn ants with a magnifying glass, lol.. nor did I make fire from ice forming a piece of ice into a focused lens. I have heard of both.

I was more into burning rubber!

I did though place my hand where the prism was being projected onto the C14 cluster and did not feel any sensationā€¦.

So again my curious mind - is it only certain aftermarket shield designs or materials, certain sun locations in relation to the shield or accumulation of time thereof above?

I know weā€™ve discussed this several times on the site, seems to fade at about this point in the conversation - just not enough observation gathered so we resign to sticking gloves, socks, shower caps, curtains, covers, etc over the cluster and ride another day.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Another useful and fun gadget to pick off ants with is a 'megger'. But that requires more skill and is getting way off topic from the OP.

Now ya done went and done it Harry.
It's all your fault! (as usual)

My wife's outside, laying on the grass with a magnifying glass, trying to zapp ants.

Ride safe, Ted

Of course not.
She's smarter than that.
She knows that RED ants are "too fast" to catch.

Bumm, ba ba Bumm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ba-Bum, Ba-Bum,,,
,,,,,,,,Bumm, ba ba Bumm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ba-Bum, Ba-Bum,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Can't touch THIS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now, Try to get that BEAT out of yer head..

Err, I think we might have gotten off the subject?
Nahhh!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I always have the micro fiber towels , if its hot i will toss one over the gauges but i still use OEM shield and not to worried about it happening.
I also do this. Place a microfiber towel over the gauges and lower the windshield on it. I use the dirtiest towel used for bug cleaning. Have not lost one yet to wind or people. I use a 10 and above stock shield most of the time. These seem not to have the melting problem.

Hmm very interesting...

I have a 2010, came with a v stream. Still has a v stream. When parked outside screen is always in down position. Makes me wonder if the dash attachment i have mounted above the instrument cluster is blocking the heating effect.

Attachments

• 16565504762842637916088659090942.jpg
    16565504762842637916088659090942.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 16565505378503116320901985486148.jpg
    16565505378503116320901985486148.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 103