• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Memorial Day Weekend, Parkersburg & Marietta

gsjay

I had this posted over on the North East page, but thought I'd share it here.

Our gang from Johnstown always goes on a trip over the Memorial Day weekend...............
I want to invite my COG friends to join us.
No registration, no agenda, just ride all day and socialize all night!

We will be staying at two different locations this year as there were no rooms available at the Lafayette Saturday night.

We plan on staying Friday May 25th  & Saturday May 26th  at the Red Roof Inn , Parkersburg, WV
You can book your own room on the Red Roof site. Rates are very low………
We plan on taking a Taxi or Uber to downtown at least one evening, most likely Saturday.

We plan on riding Saturday and Sunday. Trying to get to as many of the Ohio Windy 9 as I can.
http://athensohio.com/category/ohios-windy-9/

Sunday evening I have 20 rooms blocked at the Lafayette Hotel, in Marietta Ohio.
http://www.lafayettehotel.com/
The block is held under motorcycle group. Rate is $83 plus tax.
You have to  call Hotel directly to get his rate.

Home Monday.
Please share with anyone you think that would like to join us.
Jason
COG #32

No interest from anyone?

I'd love to do a big COG event in Marietta some day. Great town and great riding.

jason

I wish i could, but Denise never has enough calendar time for everything we want to do.  Belpre is my boyhood home and Denise hasn't experienced the high culture of the area.  :rotflmao:  I spent a lot of time on Rt 47 heading east out of Parkersburg.  no idea if the road is any good now.  interestingly, I never did the 26 and 260 areas heading up river from Marietta.  I guess I need to get back and experience some of that in my old age.  :)

Great Riding area!  Only time I did these roads was on a Rental HD Superglide that had dry rotted rubber grommets on the triple tree so the bars were loose and would speed wobble unless I had both hands on it and was powering on. Rode it like I stole it

Would love to take those roads on the C14.

Sport Rider said:
I wish i could, but Denise never has enough calendar time for everything we want to do.  Belpre is my boyhood home and Denise hasn't experienced the high culture of the area.  :rotflmao:  I spent a lot of time on Rt 47 heading east out of Parkersburg.  no idea if the road is any good now.  interestingly, I never did the 26 and 260 areas heading up river from Marietta.  I guess I need to get back and experience some of that in my old age.  :)

Had a farm lease for many years up near Stafford, and I can say without a doubt, 26, 260, and all the paved roads in that quadrant are some of the best roads in Ohio technically I have ever seen.. awesome hours of enjoyment.. highly recommended..
Hopefully I can swing enough cash to make it down there for Jay's ride,
Back in time, rt 26 was one of Road and Track's "Top Ten" roads in America, for pushing a Corvette to its limits.... and that makes for fun motorcycling even moreso.... it degraded over time, but all those roads have been getting new pavement recently, and pretty much provide what we call ...fun...  check them out using Google maps, in satellite view, and in Street view.. many curves, many smiles.per mile.

I have done the Michigan Sport Touring Association event there in August each year out of Marietta, OH.    Around 130 riders each year, excellent roads.    Not sure if the event is happening this year though.  Keep us informed if the Memorial Day Weekend event is still happening in Marietta, OH.
Thanks.
Roger 

Roger B said:
I have done the Michigan Sport Touring Association event there in August each year out of Marietta, OH.    Around 130 riders each year, excellent roads.    Not sure if the event is happening this year though.  Keep us informed if the Memorial Day Weekend event is still happening in Marietta, OH.
Thanks.
Roger

Its a thing...for sure...
Jay just doubled up and made it open for both areas to see, there is more to read here...
http://forum.cog-online.org/northeast-events/memorial-day-weekend-wv-s-e-ohio/msg623900/#msg623900

Yes, this event is happening........

Friday and Saturday at the Red Roof in Parkersburg, Sunday night at the Lafayette Hotel. Home Monday.

Come join the fun.

jason

Well 16 friends and I had a great weekend riding the Windy 9 and all the great roads North/East of Marietta...………

Such good riding! So little traffic!

I can't believe we can't get an official COG event planned for this area!
Many years ago we did a rally at Burr Oak, SP.

Marietta is just a great town. We love it almost as much as Stuanton, Va.
Jason
cog 32

My wife's name is Marietta. She joined me on a business trip to 'Lanta one year and we took a day drive up to Road Atlanta raceway and then over to Marietta. The cops were cool and gave us stuff with the name on it, and we ate at a local diner and both got food poisoning from the fish...go figure. Wish we had time to rent a bike there.

ZXtasy said:
My wife's name is Marietta. She joined me on a business trip to 'Lanta one year and we took a day drive up to Road Atlanta raceway and then over to Marietta. The cops were cool and gave us stuff with the name on it, and we ate at a local diner and both got food poisoning from the fish...go figure. Wish we had time to rent a bike there.

And what does this have to do with the topic???
Jason
cog 32

Oh, and looks like a great organized ride and time in OHIO!

Ride the OHIOIOWAIDAHOHAWAII HIGHWAY.