• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mettzler Marathon ME880 and ME888

tgodrich

OK, so I have not been on this forum for many years.  I have been riding a 1998 Concours since about 2000.  I actually just retired my second one.  First one got me to 141,000 before #3 cylinder started blowing oil.  Second one was at 147,000 when I just retired it.  So I have a few miles on these bikes.  After trying several tires, I landed on the Mettzler ME880 many years ago, and then the ME888 when they came out with it. 
I am not an aggressive rider.  I leave that to my off road riding.  I ride 70+ miles a day to and from work in commute traffic.  Nothing in the twisties.  Cornering is not really something I need performance in.  I have gotten near 20K miles very consistently on these tires over the years. 
Yes, they are hard, and with my mostly freeway and in town riding, I wear the rear flat in the middle.  Front wears more evenly.
So, onto the question...
I just bought a 2009 Concours.  The tires on the C14 are much lower profile than the older Concours.  Most on this forum probably know this.  Have plenty of wear left on these tires, so not critical yet.  However, I am thinking of going to my Mettzler Marathon tires when I need them.  Noted at Revzilla I could not select a 190/50-17, but I could select a 200.  Looking at the rear clearance, I think this would fit, but am curious if people have tries a 200 on the back if it fits.  Hate to order one and have fit problems.
I want a high mileage tire.  I put on 1500 to 1700 a month, so I do not want to be changing tires every 6 months.
Suggestions, comments?
Tony

There is a really high mileage option.  I'd mention it, but then I'd have to go in the witness protection program. :-X :-\ ;D  Hint.....there is a thread on the other forum. ;)

I have seen a couple of C14's with a 200 tire, they are noticeably bigger. They apparently fit though. Can't say anything about handling, mileage or anything else for that matter.