• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Metzeler ME888

RoadKillHeaven

Throwing it out there for group to dicuss.
After reading about new version of ironclad tire ME880, I got curious. What about ME888.
Has anyone given a thought of running such tire on Connie?

Cheers...

I looked at the Metzler website and they do not offer a 190/50/17 in the ME888. I have always been told that the ME880 is a very "hard" tire and not for sporty  bikes. And as you can tell from the replies that not many people run them. Unless you live in Kansas (very few turns)  :??: I would not try them. Just my .02 cents.

Bill

Unless they have changed over the years HARD is why most don't run them.  Feel great till you hit a stripe or water or cold or...

One of the absolute worst as far as hard to mount with my tools tires. Very hard and stiff, good for a C*** but not a bike tire. It was easier to put a car tire on a Goldwing that the 3 or 4 ME888's I have mounted.

But hey, some HD guys get 20-22K out of them...just the center portion.

Is this a belted or radial tire?
I have a 888 on my C-10, but (16") was only available as belted.
I think on a 17" it is available in a radial, which may be a softer tire?

Ride safe, Ted

I ran the wing size Metzler 880's, I got over 20,000 miles out of them, they were a harder tire yes.

Im running the ME 888 on my Vmax. I have burned through a few of the older ME 880 in years past. As others have said, they are a hard rubber. Couple this with the torque of the Vmax, and it easily spins.

Sailor_chic said:
Im running the ME 888 on my Vmax. I have burned through a few of the older ME 880 in years past. As others have said, they are a hard rubber. Couple this with the torque of the Vmax, and it easily spins.
Pardon me dear, my curiosity got the better of me. Do you still ride V-max?

RoadKillHeaven said:
Sailor_chic said:
Pardon me dear, my curiosity got the better of me. Do you still ride V-max?
I had 2, a 2004 and a 2006. Loved 'em both, and cannot wait to buy one again. VMAX lover till the end. I remember falling in love with that bike when i was 6 years old (1986/87), and I saw one for the first time, shinning through the window of a dealership. I would stop by that place every day, and promised I would have one, one day...and so I did! Selling the 2006 was one of the things I still regret to this day :(

JD, I share the same feelings about the Gen 1 Vmax. I bought my '06 used in '07 and have been through a lot of great times, and some not so good times with this bike. It handles like a turd, and the brakes are mediocre, but the sound of the exhaust and arm stretching torque when twisting that throttle are simply amazing. Guaranteed to put a smile on one's face! So in response, yes I still have this bike, and it will easily smoke the ME888 tire. Like the saying says..... Vmax, keeping tire companies in business since 1985

Attachments

• 20181105_214610.jpg
    20181105_214610.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 122
Sailor_chic said:
JD, I share the same feelings about the Gen 1 Vmax. I bought my '06 used in '07 and have been through a lot of great times, and some not so good times with this bike. It handles like a turd, and the brakes are mediocre, but the sound of the exhaust and arm stretching torque when twisting that throttle are simply amazing. Guaranteed to put a smile on one's face! So in response, yes I still have this bike, and it will easily smoke the ME888 tire. Like the saying says..... Vmax, keeping tire companies in business since 1985
Hahaha!
Everything stated in your comment is true! It does handle like a turd, although cruising down the highway, I remember I could dance atop that thing while riding with no hands at 130 km/hr, steady as a rock, straight like an arrow.
The max in my opinion is as "I bought it out of love, not practicality" type of bike as it gets! A tank that goes 220km if you are lucky, brakes that are quite poor, bakes your parts when you get stuck in traffic (then again, a bunch of bikes do), and that seat...that seat is a separate chapter altogether; the pain I felt after riding for an hr on that thing, I'll never forget it. Thank God for the VMAX Corbin seat; otherwise I would've never kept it as long as I did.

Sometimes I still browse the ads, trying to find a nice 06 with not much use... someday I'll get another one! Hope your shoulder is better Nicole! Mine, after 2 surgeries this year, I still cannot lift my arm past my hip :(

I have had two 1998 C10's with >145K miles on each before retirement.  I tried many tires over the years, and landed with the mettzler ME880 many years ago.  I ride 70+ miles daily, and these are definitely a hard tire, but for freeway riding work well.  I have gotten over 20,000 miles on them. I went with the ME888 when they offered one in the C10 sizes (only back available for the ME888). 
I now have a 2009 C14.  I just bought a ME880 for the front, radial.  Stock size.  I am putting it on this weekend. 
I have not yet ordered the rear for this bike, but will also be a ME880, but I have to go a little wider and taller to find a size to fit this bike.  Will give feedback once I get this tire and try it out.
Bottom line is that I have been very satisfied with the ME880/888 for well over 250K miles now.  They do wear flat in the middle, but that is due to my freeway riding almost exclusively. 
I buy mine from Revzilla, and have for years.  They seem to have the best prices and deliver to my door for free.