• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michelin Gift Card Rebates through 3/31/2020

gilbysan

I just ordered a set of Road5 GTs for Connie through RevZilla and submitted the claim for a $50. gift card from Michelin.  The program runs through 3/31/20 and includes Road4, 4GT, and several other tire types offered through Michelin.
If you don't already have an account at Michelin, it will ask you to set one up so you can track the claim, and of course they can track you...
Gift card supposed to arrive in 4-6 weeks, hopefully I will be here to collect it...

Front Tire cost - $176.99Rear Tire cost  - $245.99Sub-Total        - $422.98
Tax (WA 9%)  - $  38.38Total              -$461.36____________________
Gift Card        -$ -50.00Net Paid          -$411.39
Not too bad overall, I like the performance of the original Road5s and am looking forward to seeing how the GT version stacks up, particularly regarding wear.  Currently, I have about 8K miles on the Road5s with another ~2K left on the back and ~4K on the front if my calibrated eyeballs are working correctly. Why the difference in wear?  Because I pick up a sliver of steel in the front after about 2K miles and decided to replace it, using the perforated tire as a back up if needed.

Ride Safe!
Gilbysan, aka- Fat Ninja

Thank You for sharing this rebate find!!!

Separate but related did you ever have the PR4GT’s before going to the regular PR5’s?  If so was your tread life improved?  I may consider the PR5GT’s - love the stick of the 4’s but tread life little short. 

The rebate is nice...but it only brings the Michelin tires down to the non-rebate price of other top-rated sport touring tires.  If you will only buy the Michelin Road 5, then by all means, take advantage of the rebate while you can. 

The Continental Road Attack 3 is the same price as the Michelin Road 5 with rebate now.  Last year, in April, Continental offered $60 off on a set of tires.  That's another week away.

Chris

gilbysan said:
I just ordered a set of Road5 GTs for Connie through RevZilla and submitted the claim for a $50. gift card from Michelin.  The program runs through 3/31/20 and includes Road4, 4GT, and several other tire types offered through Michelin.
If you don't already have an account at Michelin, it will ask you to set one up so you can track the claim, and of course they can track you...
Gift card supposed to arrive in 4-6 weeks, hopefully I will be here to collect it...

Front Tire cost - $176.99Rear Tire cost  - $245.99Sub-Total        - $422.98
Tax (WA 9%)  - $  38.38Total              -$461.36____________________
Gift Card        -$ -50.00Net Paid          -$411.39
Not too bad overall, I like the performance of the original Road5s and am looking forward to seeing how the GT version stacks up, particularly regarding wear.  Currently, I have about 8K miles on the Road5s with another ~2K left on the back and ~4K on the front if my calibrated eyeballs are working correctly. Why the difference in wear?  Because I pick up a sliver of steel in the front after about 2K miles and decided to replace it, using the perforated tire as a back up if needed.

Ride Safe!
Gilbysan, aka- Fat Ninja

If you can live with Bridgestone T-31 EVO tires you can get two complete sets for really close to this money from Rocky Mountain ATV after $60/set rebate. I got two sets for my 650 Versys for about $380. Smaller cheaper rear tire but same size front.

2andBlue,
I rode on several sets of PR4GTs before making the transition to the PR5 and now the PR5GT.  I very much liked the PR4GT for their stickiness and the Road5s were just as good if not better.  Road wear has been about equivalent, if I can get 8-10K out of a set of tires with my riding style which is dominated by high speed city freeway, and secondary travel I am pretty satisfied.  I don't weigh much, 155 wet and carry 22 lbs in the right bag and often 50 lbs in a tool backpack, I keep the tires at 41-42 cold which seems to work well.
Daboo,
Good info, thank you.  I am not so worried about the cost of a tire, to a limit of course.  Since tires are a mission critical component, I don't let price guide my purchase decisions.  Not so much loyal to a Brand, rather, loyal to my positive experiences with Michelin over the years with our cars and Connie.  Kind of like helmets, it is not much of a cost consideration for me- safe design and rating, comfort/fit, relative quietness, appearance...then price.
Take care everyone!
Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

Dunlop is offering a $60 or $40 rebate on the Roadsmart III tires through 4/30.  $60 rebate if the dealer does anything else to the bike.  $40 rebate if you don't have any kind of service done.

They even mentioned that if your dealer is installing the tires, to have a separate line item on the bill show the installation, or balance, or anything.  As long as there's a separate line item on the bill for something besides the cost of the tires, they'll give you the extra $20.

I thought it interesting that there are no online purchases qualifying for a rebate.  But Cycle Gear was listed as one of their authorized dealerships.  So I guess just go into the store, buy the tires and then you'll qualify for the rebate.

Chris

Appreciate you sharing Gilbysan...but I have to agree, Michelin is REALLY proud of those tires!!  :-\

Every year I have the same conversation with my local shop:  Offer me a decent / comparable deal on tire and mounting vs. the internet, and I'll buy tires from you.

And EVERY year, they tell me the same thing: the tire manf's are SUPPOSED to provide pricing protection against the big box stores who buy truck loads of tires, and sell them cheaper than the local boys can.

This isn't a unique scenario - it happens everywhere with all sorts of commodities.
Interesting that Dunlop is actually ATTEMPTING to help out the local guys.  That's a start.

Now if my local shop would actually CARRY Pirellis.  :-[

gr

I hear you Ghost Rider, they are proud of their products, just like pretty much every item whose creators detect the buying public cherishes.  My local Kaw dealer sells tires at the same price point at the online vendors thereby confirming the price protection schema they use, again, just like many manufactured items.

I will say that it is not the most fun thing I do on Connie, but I have taken to changing and balancing my own wheels.  If I am being honest with myself it is because I am defraying the cost of the rubber by not paying a min. of $25 for each tire mounting and balance, IF I take the wheels in to the dealer or cycle gear, whatever, which also has a cost in time and distance. Given that I seem to do this at least two times per year, it makes sense IMO for me to master this job. I would do this even if I bought a cheaper tire, so that negates my rationale for DIY.
I just looked at a way to mount a tire on a wheel from advrider using strap clamps.  Going to try it when I change the tires to the 5GTs.  It looks simple, hopefully it will make it easier to get this job done. The tire in their example may have more flex to it, but we will see...
https://advrider.com/f/threads/mount-a-motorcycle-tire-without-using-tools.299597/
Take care!
Gilbysan

I'll say this for Lynnwood Motoplex.  When you order tires from them, they look up the price on Revzilla and that's the price they charge.

If you buy through them, you pay less for mounting and balancing than if you bring your own tires in.  However, after they almost doubled the price they charged, I decided to give it a try changing them myself.  When I was a kid, I got a flat tire each day from the thorns there.  Admittedly, it's a small version of a motorcycle tire.  When I was going through college, I worked at a service station and changed hundreds at least.  None of that is the same as a motorcycle tire, but the principle is the same.

I bought some Motion Pro BeadPro tire irons.  They work well.  Breaking the bead takes time, but is very doable.  Getting the tire on isn't the easiest, but technique makes all the difference.  I was getting an aerobic and strength building workout the last time and then when I was exhausted, sat back.  Looked at what I was doing.  Went back to the basics...and the tire slipped on just fine.  Next time, I'll try that before getting the work out.

What also surprised me, was the tire balancing.  The first time, I decided to follow the example I saw at my first Bun Cooler where one of the guys in true COG-er tradition, changed his rear tire in the KOA parking lot.  He used balance beads, so I tried them too.  They seemed to work great.  But on the following two sets of tires, I've left out the balance beads and the tires seem balanced just fine without any weights.  Hmm...

Chris