• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michelin PR5 GT

jdsco

My Pirelli Angel GT A-spec's are at the end of their life, this season. <5000 miles
I've run through three sets of these, so far. This last set went fast. All of it was mountain passes and switchbacks.
Good tires but really change in performance when they're down to the wear-bars. They all do!
It would appear that these Pirelli's are not available this late in the season.

I like the Michelin PR4 GT's but the front is loud, with heavy braking, thanks to that lateral rain siping.
They wear similar to the Pirelli's.
I'm a former Michelin PR3 & 4 fan with both C14's that I've owned.

Looking to buy a set of Michelins PR5 GT's.
$75 more than the Pirelli Angel GT's.
Cannot find any wear reports on these PR5 GT's from C14 riders, specifically.
Anybody out there with a report on the PR5 GT performance?

Thanks

My Pirelli Angel GT A-spec's are at the end of their life, this season. <5000 miles
I've run through three sets of these, so far. This last set went fast. All of it was mountain passes and switchbacks.
Good tires but really change in performance when they're down to the wear-bars. They all do!

I like the Michelin PR4 GT's but the front is loud, with heavy braking, thanks to that lateral rain siping.

Thanks
I put a set of the PR5 GT' s on my 08. I have approximately 4600 miles on them now. 4200 of those miles were a 2 week trip from Nebraska to Georgia for the RWTW and then to north central Arkansas for three days of riding and to Missouri for the Spider Ride. I really liked the tires for grip and rain but I was hoping to get more miles out of them. They are close to the wear bars, they might have 500 miles left on them. As much as I really like the way they feel not sure I'll spend the money for another set.
HTH
Dale

I've never rode the angels but seems many like them. I rode 2 sets of R5's non GT spec. I've been riding PR's since the 2's. On my now 2nd set of GT spec. Love 'em. Get close to 10k for me. Usually heavy loaded ether with luggage or the counterweight. Mostly western roads that seem pretty gentle on tires. Rode from Hendo NV to the PA Nat and home then a couple close events and the Devils cut. 55 rear profile. I like 'em

I've been keeping track of tire prices and reviews for a couple years now. I have nothing against the Michelin Road 5 but they are overprized compared to other tires. It's supply and demand. You're paying a premium for the name.

Just a thought - -go to Revzilla and check the customer ratings. I think you'll find the Continental Roadattack 3 tires have a higher rating.

Chris

I personally won't put another Continental on either of my motorcycles. Wore to fast on the 900. The C14 was gettin 1/4 inch horizontal cuts/tears in the rear tire. This was in the patch are that the tire contacted the road. Finally had to question the safety of that tire.

Your exprience might be better

I called Michelin. They actually call it the Road 5 GT. They dropped the "Pilot" for marketing reasons.
I'm going to try the Road 5 GT's. I was hoping that the price would come down, this late in the season, but no.
Michelin claims that the Road 5 GT has a greater wear life relative to their PR4 GT
My experience showed the Pirelli's are a great performance tire UNTIL they begin to square-off.
The PR4's were actually a better performing tire through the life of the PR4, relative to the Pirelli Angel GT A-spec.
I anticipate that the Road 5 GT MIGHT be comparable wear to the Pirelli's but I won't know until I try. I don't like the price of the Road 5's.

Thanks for your input

I've been through 3 sets of non gts and 2 sets of gts. They are a good handling tire but don't last any longer than any other tire. Maybe not as long. The continentals are no good at all.

I would give the Dunlap RS 3's a try. These stay planted and gives me confidence the Michelins never did. And I went through the Pilot Road 2's 3's and 4's. Took off a well used PR4 GT but no done to put on the RS 3's. WOW what a difference. Peopple are saying the current RS 2's are also pretty good. These can be had fairly cheap. I bought a set to have on hand when needed because they were so cheap.

Thanks
I just killed a pair are the PR fives and I did not get 6000 miles before the cords were showing on the rear. I just replaced with PR fours

I could be jinxing myself here, but I never had a flat running the Michelin’s on my C-14 after the original Bridgestones died out early in 3500 miles. Been through a few tires PR3’s and lately PR4’s in 74,000 miles getting about 8500 miles out of each pair. The rear goes before the fronts. I added a 2019 Versys LT Plus to the stable and had two rear flats in 3000 miles on the OEM Bridgestones. Swapped them out for the PR5’s and so far they handle well and wear well with no flats and 3000 plus miles.

I would give the Dunlap RS 3's a try. These stay planted and gives me confidence the Michelins never did. And I went through the Pilot Road 2's 3's and 4's. Took off a well used PR4 GT but no done to put on the RS 3's. WOW what a difference. Peopple are saying the current RS 2's are also pretty good. These can be had fairly cheap. I bought a set to have on hand when needed because they were so cheap.
I'm glad you mentioned Dunlop. I have Dunlops on my KTM and Husq and they're not inexpensive for knobby's.
You have them mounted on your C14?

Luv my 5's (in the 55 profile flavor) 'Nuff said.
I was fortunate enough to have participated in the COG Inner Fender group buy with Murph.

Do you have that rear inner fender mounted with that 55?

Clearance is 10mm

I'm glad you mentioned Dunlop. I have Dunlops on my KTM and Husq and they're not inexpensive for knobby's.
You have them mounted on your C14?
No. Road Smart 3's are competent street tires that tames the beast.

To give you an idea...Several months ago I would reguarly ride to radation appointments and back. One day I was in a passing lane and passed a slow moving car at a reasonable speed. Then the SOB sped up. I found myself in a gental 45 degree turn at 100+, tar snakes and all trying to get away from that car shortly after the passing lane had ended.

Me doing a 100+ in any turn was unheard of. The tires hung on and I found it was very doable and with confidence. I don't look foreward to that situation again but with the any of the PR's I probably would have gone off the road. For me the best Michelin was the PR 3. but the Dunlaps are a huge improvment. For me anyways. I enjoy the C14 again. The RS 3's feel completely planted in the rain.

Not sure yet of the mileage the RS'3's will gve me but kind of a messed up year for me getting out and about. I always got great mileage out of the Michelins. But the question for me is mileage or handling? In my mind handling takes priority.

I don't think knobbies would last long on this Fat Ninja. Wink, Wink|

No. Road Smart 3's are competent street tires that tames the beast.

To give you an idea...Several months ago I would reguarly ride to radation appointments and back. One day I was in a passing lane and passed a slow moving car at a reasonable speed. Then the SOB sped up. I found myself in a gental 45 degree turn at 100+, tar snakes and all trying to get away from that car shortly after the passing lane had ended.

Me doing a 100+ in any turn was unheard of. The tires hung on and I found it was very doable and with confidence. I don't look foreward to that situation again but with the any of the PR's I probably would have gone off the road. For me the best Michelin was the PR 3. but the Dunlaps are a huge improvment. For me anyways. I enjoy the C14 again. The RS 3's feel completely planted in the rain.

Not sure yet of the mileage the RS'3's will gve me but kind of a messed up year for me getting out and about. I always got great mileage out of the Michelins. But the question for me is mileage or handling? In my mind handling takes priority.

I don't think knobbies would last long on this Fat Ninja. Wink, Wink|
So, typically this late in the season, these rs 3's aren't in-stock, Revzilla, RMATV or Motosport. Good price point, though.
They're not available in GT but my Mich PR4's, not GT either, lasted 6k.
I live in Colorado and we have a newly paved Cottonwood Pass on both sides, now. Was dirt on the west side for 17 miles, 35 miles total. My Pirellis on my C14 wore quickly thanks to my style of riding and all of the switchbacks. 5k versus 8k? Fairly severe wear on the sides, down to, now past the wear-bars and the center tread is able to go that extra 3k

Knobbies don't stand a chance and now I'm having to trailer them over the pass.

Thanks TimR

Thanks
I had the original Angel GTs on the C14 and a Triumph STR, and they were they were great. I tried the Angel GT2 on the STR and they were terrible. The center rib followed tar snakes and the front wore out quickly. Meanwhile, I had a set of Road 5s on an FJ-09 and loved them. So I tried them on the Connie and they are great on that bike, too. They handle awesome in wet weather and I find them to be neutral in handling. The front and rear wear evenly, so when the rear is getting close to the wear bars, the front has started to lose it's profile. I generally get about 5000 miles from a set, no matter what tire I mount.

One real surprise I had was the OEM tires mounted on a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, the Dunlop D222 Sportmax. Excellent grip but I never road them in a storm. I have several times on the Road 5s and found them very good in the wet.