• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michelin Tires

KC 61

Mini Bike
So bear with me, I'm a new Concours owner. Need tires and have decided on Michelin. Should I get the PR3, PR4 or the newest Road 5?

Thanks

Most Michelin fans here will tell you the 4, but the older 3 is still produced and many prefer its lower price. I ran the new Road 5's on a 1250 Bandit which there were designed around and they were awesome, some have tested them on the C-14 but they are not specifically designed for a heavy ST. I just ordered Dunlop RS-3's for my ride and can't wait to try them. (I must say that the Michelin Power RS's that i am running on my ZX-10 are so good, I LOVE them! And would try them on my C-14 for a track day...so what if I get 3K out of them...they stick and feel so good, but then my ZX-10 is 250 LB's lighter.)

The Michelin rep at the COG National last month discussed this at length.  PR4GT is Michelin's current recommendation for the C14

Says the 5 is not designed for the C14, wait for the the 5GT 

I like the PR4GT's, just road them from CA to PA for the National and then back. Flawless on the freeways (so much freeway) to the twisties and with life left in them at the end.

(I have used 2 sets of Dunlop R3's and like them equally well)

^^^^ this!  I'm a new fan of the PR4 GT's! Last few long rides I've done feels great in the twisty corners as well as the freeways. Hoping not anytime soon that is but would like to see how it handles in the wet roads. Past few years was on the Angel GT A-specs and love those! I think it was time though to try something new. Just need to see how the miles add up compared to the Pirellis over the years. :motonoises:

Well, I watched the video on Revzilla where I ordered the Road 5's from and they seem to be a step up from the 4's. I will do a little more research on this but it's too late to cancel my order. Free returns so I will decide when they get here. I'm sure they will be fine.

PR4Gts for me . The GTs have a stiffer side wall, Im told, which works best for the weight of the C14.  Dont know much about the 5s

Here's the tire thread on the 5s that a few are using now. From what some are saying, it's best to wait for the 5GTs as it will be designed for the C14 and touring. Nothing wrong with using the normal 5s though if you have the $ and guts.  ;)
http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/michelin-road-5-gt/

Paul said:
Well, I watched the video on Revzilla where I ordered the Road 5's from and they seem to be a step up from the 4's. I will do a little more research on this but it's too late to cancel my order. Free returns so I will decide when they get here. I'm sure they will be fine.

WANDRNG said:
The Michelin rep at the COG National last month discussed this at length.  PR4GT is Michelin's current recommendation for the C14

I like the PR4GT's, just road them from CA to PA for the National and then back. Flawless on the freeways (so much freeway) to the twisties and with life left in them at the end.

I thought that presentation by the Michelin Rep at the National was awesome and I could write a lot from what I learned. The GT recommendation for the C-14 has nothing to do with the weight since the non-GT has the same load rating. The GT for the C-14 is recommended because the rear suspension is soft. You want the stiffer GT tire to counteract that suspension. The softer non-GT is recommended for stiffer sport suspensions. You basically want the the tire and suspension stiffness to oppose one another. Soft and soft not good. Hard and hard not good. See I learned something!

WANDRNG said:

Just my 2 cents - if a Mich rep says to wait for the 5GT instead of the 5's that's what I'd do.

I agree. The Michelin presenter said if they don’t recommend a tire for a motorcycle, don’t use it. They don’t want you to be unhappy. That said, the info they presented on the PR 5 is impressive. The same performance as the PR4 after 4000 miles and the rain performance improves as the tire wears and is better performing the last 20% of its life due to the way the rain sipes get wider as the tire wears. I’ll be buying the the PR5 GT’s.

I asked a question about why Michelin doesn’t mark the heaviest part of the tire with a dot that helps to balance the tire. The answer was, that if the tire has a heavy spot it’s defective and they destroy it and it never leaves the factory. An impressive answer.  He did admit that because of that, you will use more wheel weights on a PR tire.  Many tire myths were put to rest at the presentation.

Kreton'sLC said:
Just my 2 cents - if a Mich rep says to wait for the 5GT instead of the 5's that's what I'd do.

The rep did say the 5's will work fine and are safe. They just aren't intended for the C14 and not the "best" choice. That's why until the 5GT  is available, Michelin still recommends the PR4GT.

I wonder how a properly set up rear suspension (i.e. one that’s not sprung for a 12-year-old Japanese girl like the stock shock is) affects this decision. For those of us running the Penske rear shock with the proper rated spring, I wonder if the non-GT version then becomes a viable option? Also, did they give any indication at all when the GT version is due out?

Staylo said:
I wonder how a properly set up rear suspension (i.e. one that’s not sprung for a 12-year-old Japanese girl like the stock shock is) affects this decision. For those of us running the Penske rear shock with the proper rated spring, I wonder if the non-GT version then becomes a viable option? Also, did they give any indication at all when the GT version is due out?
I'd like to know the answer to this as well as I have Ohlins suspension on my C14......
(ppssssss....... don't tell anyone, but I've been running the non-GT Michelins for years....)

Staylo said:
Also, did they give any indication at all when the GT version is due out?

December 2019 is the official date for PR5GT...  "maybe" as early as Oct.

Well damn, the Road 5's will be here tomorrow and this is what Michelin said

Thank you for your interest in MICHELIN® tires! We’re happy to help you find the right tire for your specific driving needs. The Road 5 tire is not a recommended tire for your bike. It will not support the weight of the bike. The Pilot Road 4 GT would be the recommended fitment for your bike.  Thanks again for your inquiry about MICHELIN® tires.

Guess I will be returning the 5's

Paul said:
Well damn, the Road 5's will be here tomorrow and this is what Michelin said

Thank you for your interest in MICHELIN® tires! We’re happy to help you find the right tire for your specific driving needs. The Road 5 tire is not a recommended tire for your bike. It will not support the weight of the bike. The Pilot Road 4 GT would be the recommended fitment for your bike.  Thanks again for your inquiry about MICHELIN® tires.

Guess I will be returning the 5's

You won't be unhappy with the 4GT - they're a great all-rounder that you should get a lot of miles out of.

Turtle said:
Road 5's are fine, I'm at 8400 miles and counting on my set.

Well, I already got the RMA from Revzilla for the 5's and went ahead and ordered the PR4's based on what the Michelin Man said. Gotta love the internet, there's as many yes's as there is no's. But thanks for letting me know the 5's are working.

Maybe the PR5's are so awesome they make up for the deficiencies of not being the recommended GT version.  The timing is right for me so I can wait for the PR5 GT's in December :motonoises: 

+1
Although I don't run Michelins, I do run the A-spec PirelliAngel GT's, and with the upgraded suspension (Ak20's, and Ohlins Rear) with a heavy spring for two-up riding, the setup has been giving me FITS.

Missing link???

Interesting.

gr

The Pope said:
Staylo said:
I'd like to know the answer to this as well as I have Ohlins suspension on my C14......
(ppssssss....... don't tell anyone, but I've been running the non-GT Michelins for years....)

ghostrider990 said:
+1
Although I don't run Michelins, I do run the A-spec PirelliAngel GT's, and with the upgraded suspension (Ak20's, and Ohlins Rear) with a heavy spring for two-up riding, the setup has been giving me FITS.

Missing link???

Interesting.

gr

As the Amish would say, "Vots the issue?"

The Amish use metal tires. Just passed a tractor today chewing up the roads nicely. I bet they get an infinite number of miles and their suspension is really soft to counteract those stiff sidewalls. :rotflmao:

Staylo said:
ghostrider990 said:
+1

Missing link???

Interesting.

gr

As the Amish would say, "Vots the issue?"

Honestly, I think Traxxion WAY oversprung my setup.  :-[

That, or they didn't put fork oil in the Tubes, because no matter WHAT I set the front or rear on (sag or otherwise) I CANNOT dial out the front end Judder.  :-[

I'm going to have to go visit them for a baseline, because it's beyond my skills to solve, and i''ve tried everything.

gr

If you can get to them reasonably easily, that sounds like a good idea. Something definitely sounds off.

I guess I'm a little slow on the information line, but I saw yesterday that the PR5 GT was out so now I'd like to see some reports on how they ride. I have Angel A spec's on the bike and really have liked them but before them ran nothing but PR4 GT's. I won't need to replace the tires until March next year but it's going to be difficult for me to not get another set of Angel's. Like the way they dive into corners but did notice that the quick fall in to a corner went mostly away by 3000 miles. Don't know what to do.

Fork

Fork said:
I guess I'm a little slow on the information line, but I saw yesterday that the PR5 GT was out so now I'd like to see some reports on how they ride. I have Angel A spec's on the bike and really have liked them but before them ran nothing but PR4 GT's. I won't need to replace the tires until March next year but it's going to be difficult for me to not get another set of Angel's. Like the way they dive into corners but did notice that the quick fall in to a corner went mostly away by 3000 miles. Don't know what to do.

Fork

I hear you re: PR? vs Angel A-spec. Since the stock wore lonnngggg ago, I've only selected between the two and lately the Angel GTs due to a better price-point for me, but let's see what the future holds ...