• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michigan - 2016 COG Event Planning

talcon

This is the MI 2016 COG Planning thread - it's a work in progress!  As we make changes, add events, etc. - I will edit this top post to reflect the current schedule.  I will also add separate topics for each event in this Forum section.  Feel free to post suggestions, etc. 

I will be submitting the following tonight for inclusion in the North Central Area Newsletter:

Apr 17 (Sunday) - 9am - 2pm - MI Spring COG Wrench Session!  - 235 Ponchartrain Dr, Fenton, MI 48430 - 810-348-0838, Lunch TBD, There is a motorcycle swap meet going on nearby on the same day until 5p - we may make a trip there after lunch.

May 1 (Sunday), 10 AM - 4 PM - All Clubs Ride and Swap Meet, Stockbridge, MI  (this is the meet up and ride, not the show - bound to be old bikes there though).  Downtown on the Town Square, off M-52.  Contact: Suzin Greenway  #517.851.7437    or    suznort@juno.com
Coffee/Donuts, visit/meet/greet, pickup a ride sheet and have fun!

May 21 (Saturday), 12 noon - 2pm -  Ride-to-Eat, The Maple Grill, 13105 Gratiot Rd  Hemlock, MI 48626,  http://www.themaplegrille.net/

June 10-12 - The MN COG has a ride to Copper Harbor in Michigan's Upper Peninsula planned: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=63896.0

June 12 (Sunday), 9am - 4pm,  Vintage Motorcycle Show and Swap Meet, Gilmore Car Museum, 6865 W Hickory Rd. Hickory Corners, MI 49060 • 269-671-5089

June 20-24, COG “Back Yard” National Rally, Helen, GA  - Rally Central will be at the Helendorf River Inn. The Backyard Rally promises to be a great time for all. Non-members, join up on at http://www.cog-online.org for a special rate after your registration.

July 8-10 - TBD - Possible long weekend ride - UP?  Canada?  Will need passport or enhanced drivers license?

August 6-7 - TBD - Another possible long weekend ride?

August 20 (Saturday) - 9am - Logan’s Heroes Charity Ride - Millington, MI - http://logans-heroes.org

September 18 (Sunday), Noon - 4pm - All Clubs Day - Stockbridge, MI - this is the antique bike show and somewhat of a tradition for the MI COG Members

I could8 be open for a ride or stop over here in Traverse City.
Could reasonably sleep 6 or 7 indoors and camping almost
antwhere around the yard or field. Have plenty pf tools
for those little problems also.

On June 12th, the Gilmore Museum (Hickory Corners, MI) has a Vintage Bike Show and Swap Meet.  I understand it is a very cool event - never been myself - and although most of our rides don't meet the vintage standard (1990 and earlier), still might be of some interest to Coggers?

delling3 said:
On June 12th, the Gilmore Museum (Hickory Corners, MI) has a Vintage Bike Show and Swap Meet.  I understand it is a very cool event - never been myself - and although most of our rides don't meet the vintage standard (1990 and earlier), still might be of some interest to Coggers?

I've been there a few times when I had the Honda 750. Good show, access to a excellent car museum, and tons of interesting bikes in the parking lot.

delling3 said:

Chris - is that a yearly bike show?  I may skip that this year as I'll be gone the following two weekends at the Nationals.  I'll certainly put it up on the schedule.  Feel free to post a topic under North Central if you're going  :motonoises:

Incidentally - that weekend is also one of two free ORV weekends in MI.

Thanks!

Randy, it is a yearly event.  The show is on Sunday, with competition in several categories judged by the public and a master class judged by moderators.  On Saturday morning there's a nice ride through the area for bikes 25 years old or more.  I've done the ride on the '77, entered it in the show one year, and attended a few others.  The Gilmore museum (created by Jim Gilmore of Foyt/Gilmore racing fame) is a real gem of southwest MI.  Tuned to a general love of motor vehicles, it has vintage bikes, classic cars, race cars, the first and last Checker built in K-zoo, an original Tucker, and lots to look at.

Here's a link.
http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/event/vintage-motorcycle-show-swap-meet/?instance_id=197

RWulf said:
I could8 be open for a ride or stop over here in Traverse City.
Could reasonably sleep 6 or 7 indoors and camping almost
antwhere around the yard or field. Have plenty pf tools
for those little problems also.

RW,  pick an open weekend and I'll pitch a tent.  :great:

I agree with Randy,"it's too close to the National". I have been
there and it's a great way to kill a day.
Flat-spot Lets let Randy see if he can work something into the
program on one of those TBD dates.

I see that the Ogemaw Hills bike week is only 4 days this year - July 21-24.  I would assume the AMA Pro Hill Climb is still going to happen that weekend?  I have another ride tentatively scheduled with a buddy of mine for that weekend - but I'll keep checking on this if anybody is interested?

I told my wife I was going to every event on the list!  She said," Sure honey, you have a good time! :)"

Should I be worried??  :??:

SilverConnieRider said:
About time you guys come to this side of the State.  :great:

Holland is only about 20 miles or so from me.  :great:

So lets plan something around August for a RTE in Holland.
Will be keeping any eye open for when the Business is up and running.

Karl,  there have been a couple of get togethers at The Clifford Lake Inn in Stanton in yrs. past along w/ the Hickory Corners wknd events.  :nananana:

DeansZG said:
SilverConnieRider said:

Karl,  there have been a couple of get togethers at The Clifford Lake Inn in Stanton in yrs. past along w/ the Hickory Corners wknd events.  :nananana:

Not sure what your point is?

Stanton is closer to the middle of the State vs. West MI (Holland) only being a few miles to Lake MI which is as far west as you can go in MI.  ;D

Just seems that I have seen very very few get togethers (AKA RTE's) on this side of the State.  Then again I've only been a member for a year.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to taking a ride now and again.  If the weather ever becomes Summer like. 
40° and rain here today, not my idea of FUN.  :banghead:

SilverConieRider find a place. Pick a date. Let Talcon know.
And if we can we will be there.
You've see few, I live in traverse City I plan my own RTE and
show up. It's a hard life in the frozen tundra.

SilverConnieRider said:
>>>SNIP<<<

Stanton is closer to the middle of the State vs. West MI (Holland) only being a few miles to Lake MI which is as far west as you can go in MI.  ;D

Just seems that I have seen very very few get togethers (AKA RTE's) on this side of the State.  Then again I've only been a member for a year.

Karl,
My bad... as I thought you had hung around here a bit longer than a year....

Stanton, for me anyways(I live about 1.5 miles from the Detroit River, just north of it's merging with Lake Erie), is on the west side of the state..  and as Richard has mentioned, he also has set-up our Traverse City weekends (from '09: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=18500.msg68484#msg68484) for a couple of years... 

If I remember my dates correctly, I also rolled out a Michigan coast-to-coast sunrise-to-sunset ride back in '05.  The ride started 5:45 a.m at the pier in Port Sanilac & ended at sunset in the St. Joseph area.  Never did see the sun as the day was a wee bit soggy  :(  ended up w/ 750 miles for the day however... ;D

There have been assistant area directors for the west side of the state & as far as I know/remember, they've only scheduled 2-3 get-togethers max..... :-\

Randy's been on the job for awhile now & is doing a bang up job of it too!! :great:    But.... he needs your(meaning: all members) input & suggestions!  After all, it's such a highly paid job.... :D

Hi all - I had a possible long weekend ride on the calendar for this coming weekend, but I hit a deer with my new bike last week, and now that's off the table for me while the bike gets insurance repair work done.  I can do a ride-to-eat possibly on Sunday if there is any interest?  Hopefully something fairly close as I'll be on my DRZ400.  I'm working on getting my Connie road-worthy again also, so that will be my backup bike while the deer damage gets fixed.

I also had a long weekend ride scheduled for the first weekend in August, but now it's looking like I'll be in Mexico for work that week. 

What do you Michiganders want to do?

talcon said:
Hi all - I had a possible long weekend ride on the calendar for this coming weekend, but I hit a deer with my new bike last week, and now that's off the table for me while the bike gets insurance repair work done.  I can do a ride-to-eat possibly on Sunday if there is any interest?  Hopefully something fairly close as I'll be on my DRZ400.  I'm working on getting my Connie road-worthy again also, so that will be my backup bike while the deer damage gets fixed.

I also had a long weekend ride scheduled for the first weekend in August, but now it's looking like I'll be in Mexico for work that week. 

What do you Michiganders want to do?

WOW hit a deer? Damage to the bike? but not to you?  you walked away without a scratch?  if so, your a lucky man.

Got any pictures of the damage to the bike?

I still don't know when I will be able to ride again.  6 weeks ago today I had my last surgery.  I see the Doctor in 1 more week
and hopefully he will clear me to start putting some weight on the broken leg.  Then more PT.  When I can hold a bike up for about
2 minutes (like at a traffic light etc) then I will consider riding again - just don't know when that will be.

So if you guys do any RTE's or other get togethers take pictures, please.

Good luck getting your bike fixed. 

SilverConnieRider said:
WOW hit a deer? Damage to the bike? but not to you?  you walked away without a scratch?  if so, your a lucky man.
Got any pictures of the damage to the bike?

Yes I was somewhat lucky - it did about $1700 in damage to the bike.  I wasn't going very fast when it happened as it was cold out (46 degrees) and I knew they would be moving around that morning so I was just taking it easy.  I was already grabbing brakes when I actually hit the deer (I T-boned it probably doing about 20-25 mph).  I was on track to go behind it, when it suddenly reversed direction right into me - stupid animal!  :)  It destroyed my front fender, lifted up and broke the fairing, and took out my brakes - I stayed up the entire time as I coasted over to the shoulder.  I did sprain my wrist - probably from grabbing brakes or anticipating the impact, but it's fine now.  Forks and front wheel seem okay.  I'll post pics at some point.

Glad to hear you're healing up Karl!  Don't let it get you down - get back on that iron horse and just keep riding!    :motonoises:

SilverConnieRider said:
talcon said:

So I've been periodically checking on progress of the Holland Giordano's.  It recently opened.  Yelp reviews alternate between 1 star for slow and inaccurate service, and 5 stars for great pizza, and give them a pass for not being fast when it takes time to bake something that thick, and they're still getting trained.

My take is that in a few weeks they will have some bugs worked out and not be as slammed with business, and might be a good RTE destination.

Glenn, check it out and if it's good set a date. I'll do what
I can to be there. Don't care for Chicago but will try there
pizza.

RWulf said:
Glenn, check it out and if it's good set a date. I'll do what
I can to be there. Don't care for Chicago but will try there
pizza.

same here - sounds good Glenn.  Thanks for keeping an eye out.

OK, Here's where I'm at.  I'm not going to have a chance to check the place out in advance, but AccuWeather is predicting 67 degrees with clouds and sun for this Saturday, Oct. 15th.  I re-checked the Yelp and Trip Advisor feedback, and there were negatives on the service, positives on the pizza, except for those who went to a Chicago style stuffed pizza place and wanted thin and crispy, or something other than pizza.  :-[  With stuffed pizza, one slice there will be a pretty good meal, 2 will hold you over for the weekend. ;) [/size]  It will take time to bake, and a new restaurant may take time on service.  I think we have time. 

My feeling is if you go to Giordano's, you assume it will take time to bake, and for us that would mean more time to talk bikes, life, or whatever.  My thought is to have a big / late breakfast, meet up at 1:30 or 2pm, after the lunch crowd thins out, and be ready to hang out together for a while. 

If anyone is interested in going, post it up.  I'm not sure if my wife is interested, she definitely won't want to be the only woman in a bunch of guys talking about riding, but if other significant others or female riders are coming, she might be persuaded.  Holland is pretty much her idea of a long ride. 

I'd be coming up from the Portage/ Kalamazoo area if anyone wants to meet up here or along the way.

Sorry but I won't be able to make that. Last chance to float a river.
Jordan Valley can't miss it. The colours should be good.