• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michigan Tech Day / Wrench Session Sunday, April 17 @ 9am

talcon

Hi everybody!

I'll be holding a MI Tech Day/Wrench Session at my house in Fenton, MI on Sunday, April 17, 2016, so mark your calendars and plan to attend.  If you don't have any work to do, come out anyway and meet the COG folks in the area!  Maybe you can help or learn from others as they work on their bikes.  I will help where I can!

We'll get started around 9am and go til 2pm or whenever everybody gets hungry - no problem if you'll be coming in later that morning. 

Address is:  235 Ponchartrain Dr, Fenton, MI 48430  (blue house)

I am right off the Silver Lake Rd Exit and US-23 in Fenton.  Go east on Silver Lake Rd. from the exit, and you'll see a self-storage yard on the South side, I'm the next street past that, 3rd house from the end on the right.  In case of rain, I have a 2-car garage we can work out of.

Drop me an email, pm or reply here if you're planning on coming and give me an idea of what you'd like to work on.  Plan on either bringing the materials you'll be in need of, make prior arrangements with me, or let me know if you would like me to arrange to have other tools or equipment on-hand.  I have friends with lifts, etc.  I even have a trailer - so let me know and we can try to get your bike here before-hand if needed the day before or earlier that morning.

As for food - I was thinking I could cook burgers/dogs on the charcoal grill if everybody could chip in a few dollars.  Let me know your preference!  There is a motorcycle swap meet at Rocky's on this day till 5pm.  There is also a great mexican restaurant right next to it if you prefer.

Lastly - if nobody has work to do - we can ALWAYS go for ride!  :)  It's nice country-side here, with lots of lakes.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Will try to make it if it ain't snowing,raining or cold as hell!! :mad: Put me down for a maybe?  :-[

Mettler1 said:
talcon said:
Tom - it's going to be at least 80 and sunny!  (POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!!!  :D )

Bet you get disappointed a lot!! :mad:

I agree with Tom.

We'll get started around 9am    Starting at 9am would mean we would have to leave GR at about ~6:45am or so.
I can guarantee you at 7am it will not be anywhere near 80° in MI on 4-17-16.  :D
Might be borderline if it's above freezing.  Here I thought this was going to be planned for LATE April - not the middle of April in MI. Yes I HATE cold weather.

• Tom and Karl,  'getting started' should be loosely translated.

In Latin, and when in context of a tech day, 'getting started' specifically means:
    • You can get there anytime you want between 9 and the stated end time.

Other proven facts (determined after lengthy and exhaustive study):
    • You may find no 'work' has actually begun, although it is probable.
    • Missing lunch is not in your best interest (when is it ever?)
    • There WILL be lying, fat chewing, blather and general mayhem commencing at which time the first two attendees are in proximity.
    • All lying, fat chewing, blather and general mayhem will be of the highest quality and worth the trip in itself.
    • Its always fun and if you miss out you'll have no one but yourself to blame.

There, its all clear now.  :)

Stasch said:

In Latin, and when in context of a tech day, 'getting started' specifically means:

• There WILL be lying, fat chewing, blather and general mayhem commencing at which time the first two attendees are in proximity.
    • All lying, fat chewing, blather and general mayhem will be of the highest quality and worth the trip in itself.

Thanks for making that all clear.

However, I think you missed the part about I HATE cold.  I know some people don't mind it - but I do.  Brrrrr.

Arriving in a frozen state and taking 3 -4 hours to thaw out is not my idea of a good time - only to do it
all over again on the way home.  You have to remember that I'm the only one in the group with a C14 so I would freeze
before you guys on a C10 as everyone says that the C10's have better protection from the elements, right? 

Thank God the National Rally is in June and in the South.  It's very rare that I complain about warm weather - I would rather Mow then Blow snow any day.  :great:

Miracles happen all the time and if by some miracle it's a low temp of 55° that day then there is a strong possibility I could ride there.
I live about 13 miles east of Lake MI so it would take a while to get to the other side of the state for me.

Oh well when is the next meet - in warm weather?  :D

Yes - as Stasch said roll in anytime..  we had pretty good weather last year for it.  If you want to wait a couple hours for the temp to rise, no problem.  If it's still going to be too cold, drive the car :)  Indiana Mark made it here last year on his C14, or was it the year before?

Anyway - I will have fresh ground hot coffee waiting... and probably donuts - I never met an apple fritter I didn't like.

The idea is to get the last minute work done on your ride *prior* to the great riding weather  :)  :great:

We have a May 1 meet up in Stockbridge, and a May 21 meet up in Hemlock west of Saginaw.

Stasch said:

YUP!!

I am begining to wonder about this session.
Stan is sponting wisdom, from where I don't know.
Randy is serving " probably donuts"?
I've had all kinds of donuts but "probably donuts" ??

RWulf said:
I am begining to wonder about this session.
Stan is sponting wisdom, from where I don't know.
Randy is serving " probably donuts"?
I've had all kinds of donuts but "probably donuts" ??

Yes!  Probably donuts :)    Apple Fritters for sure!!!!

talcon said:
If it's still going to be too cold, drive the car :) 
Anyway - I will have fresh ground hot coffee waiting... and probably donuts - I never met an apple fritter I didn't like.

May 21 meet up in Hemlock west of Saginaw.

Too cold drive the car?  What fun is that?  Although I'm sure it would be a good time when I arrived - but then I couldn't
go on a ride with you guys and that would suck.

Anyway - I will have fresh ground hot coffee waiting...   I know I'm in the minority here but I don't drink Coffee, never liked it.

May 21 meet up in Hemlock west of Saginaw.
  Now your talking as it might very well be warm enough by then.
Weather man today said first half of April or more would be colder then average - May (he thinks) will be warmer then average.  :great:  if it comes true.

Still not ruling out coming up - so Maybe is what I'll say for now. 

SilverConnieRider said:
Anyway - I will have fresh ground hot coffee waiting...   I know I'm in the minority here but I don't drink Coffee, never liked it.

So....... Scotch?

talcon said:
Okay everybody - weather is looking FANTASTIC for Sunday.. looking forward to it!
  Had a great time at tech day kicking tires and hanging out most of the day with some great  Concours owners. Thanks, Randy!!

Randy, thanks for hosting this years tech day. It was great to see everyone again and meet some new member, always a good time. I don't think we could have asked for a better day except for one thing, I didn't get any probably donuts dang-it. lol  :great:

Thanks for organizing this Randy. 

I got there late when the group was already at the swap meet and restaurant and had a great time.

Seems we're always so glad to get out of the winter cave to this first event of the year that we just have a great time and sometimes a little work gets done.

Since I got there late, I asked what work had been done.

I was told a saddlebag was removed from a C10, therefore the event was still officially a 'Tech Day'. 

:beerchug:

Thanks Randy, for taking the time to set this up and ordering GREAT weather as well  :great:

In case anyone forget what you saw or couldn't make it to the meet ............

In case any of you don't know what "Probably Donuts" look like - these are them.  ;D

We filled up his driveway some.......

The award for the most expensive bike there.........

The swap meet was at this place.

This brings back memories for me as I believe I borrowed a Honda 750 Four to get my motorcycle endorsement.  :great:

Need any dirt bike tires?

I like the little girl getting exposed to motorcycles at a young age.

Lots of stuff inside the store to look at...........this is some of it.

For the fishermen among us - this looked cool.

Motor right in front of you?

This is where we ate.  Yum.

Our bikes in the parking lot at lunch.

Had a good group of guys.  Needed 3 pictures to get us all in.  One additional person came - sorry no picture of him.

Well that's all I got.

Thanks again Randy.  I like it when miracles happen.  One week before this it was snowing.  But this weekend it was in the 70's in the afternoon.  :great:

Till next time............

Stasch said:
Thanks for organizing this Randy. 

I got there late when the group was already at the swap meet and restaurant and had a great time.

Seems we're always so glad to get out of the winter cave to this first event of the year that we just have a great time and sometimes a little work gets done.

Since I got there late, I asked what work had been done.

I was told a saddlebag was removed from a C10, therefore the event was still officially a 'Tech Day'. 

:beerchug:

Always glad to host this! 

In my defense, it is really hard to put the key in the saddlebag lock for the antler in the dark in order to take the saddlebag off the bike.  It is also a gamble, as I have a mix of A & B locks/keys. 

I'm sure you would agree!  :D

SilverConnieRider said:
Thanks again Randy.  I like it when miracles happen.  One week before this it was snowing.  But this weekend it was in the 70's in the afternoon.  :great:

Till next time............

You are more than welcome!  I am happy to do it and you took some awesome pictures Karl!  Thanks so much for documenting this great day!  :) n

I had a ball !!!!

Not seeing any wrenching going on - but looked like a fun time.  Sorry I missed it.  Hope to make the Hemlock trip.