• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mirror extension - Wind protection

jb_cb900

Street Cruiser
I have an upcoming trip which includes high altitude riding and needed additional, temporary, wind protection for my hands to help on the frosty mornings.  The mirrors provide partial protection (I have bar risers) but I still get a blast of air on my outer digits.  The goal was something easy to install/remove and could be packed easily.  I wound up using a scrap piece of 1/8" clear plastic sheet and cut it so it would fit on the front side of the mirror.  It currently extends 2 1/4" below the mirror.  There are 2 slits cut in each corner to thread velcro straps through.  Because of the shape of the back side of the mirror, the straps are pulling in opposite directions and hold the deflector firmly to the mirror  (no movement at all).  This is just the prototype (please excuse the rough edges), so I may be able to lessen the overhang and still get the protection I'm looking for.  I'm also going to add some thin strips of rubber so it's not actually riding on the mirror frame.  The best part of all this is it packs flat and takes up virtually no room in my luggage.  Also, it can be installed/removed in about 2 seconds.  The outside taper in the backside of the mirror means you only have to undo the inside strap to slip it on/off the mirror.  I searched the forum and didn't find anything similar to this, but if someone has a better solution, I'd be very interested.

Attachments

• mirror1.JPG
    mirror1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 164
  • mirror2.JPG
    mirror2.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 189
  • mirror3.JPG
    mirror3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 153
Great suggestion.  But, I'm looking for 1 1/2" more of deflection below the very ends of the bars and I don't want to loose any protection on the upper side.  The average temp, in the morning, is 30 degrees and my hands get cold quickly so I also made little pockets that have a loop to go around 1 finger, so they stay in place, that will hold "Hot Hands" packets on the backside of my hands inside the glove.

I like the mitts.  Do you have these?  My only concern is whether or not they would apply enough pressure to the front brake lever to actuate the brake light.

Yes, I do use them (and a couple other Connie riders I know) and have had no problems with grip or lever interference. The opening to the mitts is adjustable and holds it's shape, which is nice, makes it easier to get your hand on the grip(s) if you take your hand off for some reason.  Plenty of room inside to manipulate the controls, just something 'different' you have to get used too. IF you get them, try them out around the neighborhood a few times before embarking on a road trip.

Update:  Rode into work this morning with a defector on left side, only.  The air flow is now past the end of the bar about 1/2", and below the bar about 1 1/2".  Left hand was comfortable while the right was starting to get chilled when I pulled in the parking lot.

Hey Jim if you want to try the mittens I'll ship you a set for the price of a cold beer the next time I see you face to face. :beerchug:

Update:  Mirror extensions are holding up well.  They survived 600 miles of 25 mph headwinds while cruising at highway speeds last weekend back and forth from the hill country.  Also, these combined with the handlebar mitts that Chuck graciously sent to me, and Hot Hand packets inside my gloves resulted in no frozen fingers while riding in 35 degree weather this morning.