• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mixing Bias and Radial Tires

denneyr

Moped
My Dunlop D205 front tire is badly cupped and not much tread left on it.  The D205 on the rear still has good usable tread.  I am considering putting a Bridgestone BT023 radial on the front and later installing a Bridgestone BT45 rear when the D205 is done.  No Bridgestone radial available to fit the rear of the C-10.

I have searched many sites and find anywhere from never mix bias and radial on the same bike to some bikes come from the factory that way.  I have seen posting on this site that people are mixing them with no discernible issues.

I know the old advice was never mix the two but I am thinking maybe the advice needs to be updated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ron Denney in Alabama - Great two lane roads for the Connie in Alabama

2000 C-10 w/43k miles. 

My opinion:
Anything is fine till it is not.  The trick is to figure out when it's not before it kills you.  I have not figured that out so I ride the tires that the majority feel will keep me the safest.  Right know that is only Avon for me.

I am one that does it with no discernible issues.  Michelin Pilot GT on the rear for about 2k miles with a Metzler ME-Z6 on the front, now another couple thousand with a Michelin PR2 on the front....

After reading all the info on the forum I decided to go with the Avon Storm 2 Ultra in the 120/70ZR-18 in the front.  I had it installed today and the handling improvement from the Dunlop 205 in the 110/80R-18 was immediately noticeable.

I've got a Pilot GT (bias) on the rear now & a D205 (radial) up front on my 03 Conours and it works fine for me. (I just clicked 87K mi. this week)
I've run a 777 bias rear & the OEM 701 up front & that was OK for me too.
Unless you're willing to spring for a 17" rear wheel conversion (or run Avons) you might wanna be a bit flexible.
JMHO.