• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

More Biker Mice

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Here's what I pulled from the engine compartment while changing my air filter.
It was in there prior to me wrapping my bike in a plastic sheet.

The mice did not chew into the wires as they were packing their own lunches from all the sunflower seeds found in the battery compartment. The pink stuff is insulation that was laying on the opposite side of the garage. Two big handfulls carefully placed below the air box. So far, so good.

Attachments

• Mouse nest.jpg
    Mouse nest.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 137
BTDT  :mad:
nXqL5hhDCXgWcJgt4HRKoi40JzBOhf9s-z4g5uauwYHJeyoO3rl39MoVc7HBgzbMs-wSXu6dhWtPo3d1JBr64AkoXtO0uVTkoKdaeSiYsJI6VJ-HpZkhPo3eLeARbw7QcpneMA4laSBAgMS5DzAVZwuRM9dqDhIxg2NbOiK-G-q5PgHTftAqqfLsCRSmxpagJEsBW1RXax6KzulbKHimlnM9hIwolPQsGqycM0eqFYVWznhyymyM4OgYupMsptstL6xx6rIStunWZhTsTAj9nn8GA8VJ2ltIwMrDf1Pls6PpOmVtuXPejM6pnUSVA1GRdvcoouqQaeXzq6LFQNzhqNpmWte_VuXALIfYrkmbXjLvC2w2IyU4TzBqk4Wvqp6-UDE4dmV1irtun1H6e-I0xLkZ9_R6cFpd8u1Dx7gBhUU7If0JMCW6NpNXHh8M8SvMhl_Q1L_AcIO7BvdUEpbEflb_xFq42V6GEds_FPnp0d1z0MS1AyzH6HyhCjxS4RKAzJhEHOKskVmJsdnjUwf3SjriP50GQx9X1sDr4MevneFRyWMiRUHkjmFl5fJxEEan0EpaonhD5MR25dmAhZDv_bugkGCLvEdfO7RXdRY2_iIcNqlC9lpNTqYQGzDj5Q45T2u1t5OWnn8aG2ZQgM1Cd0W7GpIeNUNa7MRGwR724qQSJRP_xe33IXykK8V31NgHDotwscCarC3jLCV3Q19xCijN=w1033-h1835-no

They love insulation and air boxes. The old Tacoma was a home for a nest of 'em when we lived in Michigan for a few years. All the dead babies ended up in my AC/Heater fan. Kind of smelly until I got 'em all out.

You are lucky they haven't destroyed anything. Maybe they will let you borrow their bike for the summer. ;) Now go get a cat.

Try not feeding the cats, does wonders in motivating more feline like hunting traits.Now if I could only train my cat to eat those big green horned tomato worms I'd be a happy camper

A good Rat Terrier will do a much better job than a Cat.  They don't kill to eat, they kill to kill,  and they live for it!

^+1 Watched a terrier mix dig up a chipmunk once. The little rodent had thought it got clean away. Only succeeded in showing the dog where the nest was. Quick work with the entire family. They get crazy though when they find a rodent in the house...

The last time we had a mouse in the house, the cats just went what the? And sat there. Now we have a fairly young female we added after one of my daughters took her cats. . The female kitty, Annie, goes after bugs and flys. She has come close to knocking end table lamps over chasing a fly. Our old tom isn't interested in such things.

So far I have not had a mouse problem in the garage I keep the bikes in.

So the wife had neighborhod cats using her flower beds as a cat box. That up set her so whe went out and bought a bunch of mouse traps and bobbie trapped her flower beds with them. Then she found out just how a mose trap kills a mouse. She picked up all her mouse traps so a cat needing to use the flower bed wouldn't get hurt. I know she gave a lot of mouse traps away.

Last edited:
I was at a family function last summer when I got an urgent phone call from one of my area buddies/fellow Valkyrie owners. One of his friends (also a Valkyrie owner) had a bike that died on the side of the road and wouldn't start back up - even though all systems looked normal at first glance. I offered some things to check but they ended up flat-bedding the bike home.

Long story short: Hard to get enough air through the motor when the air cleaner housing is completely filled with kernels of cat food. I still have the picture on my phone...

Placing a bowl of mothballs under the bike helps. The mice can't stand the smell. I haven't had any problems with mice since I started using the mothballs, but I have run over a few plastic bowls.

When I winterize my C-14 I remove the battery and bring it in the house connected to a tender.

In place of the battery I put in a poison mouse bait trap. Gives em something to chew on, for a little while anyway...

I need to make a few of those bucket traps. What are you using for the rod across the middle? Metal or wood and are you putting antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket?

I use a coat hanger that I straighten out. Old yard sticks work well for the ramp. I just use water. They don't make it out alive.

Search on YouTube.
You will find endless design variations.
The videos also go well with adult beverages and popcorn.

I use coat hanger wire, soda bottle, scrap wood, and 5 gallon bucket.
Smear peanut butter around the center of the bottle.

Let the log roll of death begin.

I use a coat hanger that I straighten out. Old yard sticks work well for the ramp. I just use water. They don't make it out alive.
I used to use antifreeze but one of my building isnt used much and it got pretty nasty. Now I just put sawdust down. I guess it cushions to much and they cant jump out. At any rate it works.

I made one of those bucket traps a few years ago. Coat hanger, tin car, and peanut butter. I didn't put any water in the bucket though. The next day I checked the bucket and sure enough, there was a mouse in it. As I bent over the bucket to look the damn mouse jumped straight up, scaring the crap out of me, got a hold of the edge of the bucket and made his escape. o_O

My neighbor has a shed that he keeps all kind of junk in that's become more of mouse brothel or breeding house. I set up a water bucket ride with a dab of chunky peanut butter for them at the end of the ride. Checked it the next day and there were 8 of the little wire chewing bastards in there, all of them dead and well marinated to be tossed out for birds or foxes to enjoy. That's the other great thing about the water bucket, multiple kills without having to reload it and you can discard the mouse to the local scavengers without poisoning them. We've seen some red tail hawks just fall out of trees dead from eating mice that were caught with poison.

See video image in post #5. I have the same setup with about 4" of water in the bottom.
You want them buggers to drown so they can't hop out.
They don't carry life jackets or snorkel gear.

I made one of those bucket traps a few years ago. Coat hanger, tin car, and peanut butter. I didn't put any water in the bucket though. The next day I checked the bucket and sure enough, there was a mouse in it. As I bent over the bucket to look the damn mouse jumped straight up, scaring the crap out of me, got a hold of the edge of the bucket and made his escape. o_O
Thats why I put a few inchs of sawdust in the bottom. They cant jump off the soft stuff.