• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

More Work to Plan For

IBAJIM

Well, after I do a valve check & adjust, sync the throttle bodies, replace the fuel filter, and rebuild the calipers,  I'm planning on installing a set of RaceTech compression & rebound Gold Valves with a custom shim stack for both that matches my weight and type of riding.

Since I have only 15K miles on this '08 that I bought last year, I think I'll wait a few years before I send them my rear shock to be rebuilt & re-valved and also have a heavier spring installed.

BTW, RaceTech has some very good step-by-step directions on how to install these kits at their website.  Each kit comes with an "access code".  You go to the RaceTech DVS page, enter the access code, your weight and riding style, and it tells you what shims to install and in what order.  You don't use all the shims supplied.

I installed a GV compression kit and Gold Valve Emulator on my Honda ST1100 and it's not that complicated of a job to do.

I bought the two GV Kits off Amazon at a discount compared to the list price.  This is what you get for $123 each  ( list price is $180 each ).

Attachments

• RT_Comp_ GV.jpg
    RT_Comp_ GV.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 102
  • RT_Rebound_GV.jpg
    RT_Rebound_GV.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 91
I installed a Gold Valve kit on the compression side of my C14 front forks. I actually did not have a huge problem with the OEM forks, so I thought just doing the non-adjustable(compression) side would be adequate. Not a difficult job, need a  couple special tools. Instructions were a bit vague, I had to study a couple different sets of instructions to make sure the final assembly was 100% right.
The valving stack itself was easy using the access code. I was surprised at the size of the OEM valving stack. The Gold Valve had fewer shims(valving), and the disc is much more open. So I am expecting the compression side to be much less harsh. Cannot give actual road test data, still waiting for the thaw.
Best surprise was how easy the fork seals were to do.

Ya,  RaceTech claims their set-up results in a "firm, but plush ride".  That was about the result after I did my ST1100.  I have a certain "bump" in town that I use for comparison purposes.

BTW,  the Traxxion suspension tools are a heck of a lot cheaper than the RaceTech tools.  For the spring compression tool that Fred uses in his video and the "slip-in" holder ( they come together in a kit ), the cost was $30.  For the cartridge "bleeding tool" , ( rod with female threads on one end ), When I did my ST1100, I made my own using a block of aluminum threaded at both ends, length of threaded rod and a piece of aluminum attached to the other end to grab onto.

RaceTech thinks the top-out springs ( located inside the front fork cartridges) are too heavy.  They recommend lighter top out springs so the bike will handle "better in mid corner".  I'll take their word for that.  So I ordered their replacement top-out springs and nylon washers - $10 a pair.
I'll install them when I install the Gold Valve Kits.

Attachments

• TopOutSprings2.jpg
    TopOutSprings2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 90