• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motegi GP!!!

Hogboy

Street Cruiser
Well, wasn't that an eye-popper race fans?!?!?  Lemmee see if I can remember it all:

- Rossi gets squeezed on corner 1 (or 2), goes down, takes Spies off track, and leaves dastardly Larenzo unscathed

- 3 dudes (three!) get nailed with false starts and do a stop-and-go

- now would they happen to be back markers?  Nope - Sic and Dovi were in the top 5

- then Stoner (leading of course) pulls a super-duper tankslapper worth of Connie with worn tires, pops the brake pads, and goes off the track

- meanwhile, Hayden is doing great but runs wide.  Same thing for Bautista (watch this guy next yr) who was 3rd at the time I think

- that little squirt Pedrosa wins, Lorenzo gets 2nd and Stoner blows minds on a great drive back to 3rd

Great Race!!!!!!!!

Well, since I'm stuck in a hotel in Philadelphia that doesn't carry Speed channel, I'll have to wait until Wed to watch the races on my DVR.  :(  But I already read some updates on this race as well as WSBK so there will be no surprises.

Stoner's a freaking alien, I stand by my previously stated opinion.  He will be one of the greats.

I meant to watch it yesterday afternoon. But I was watching the NASCAR race and forgot about it!  :mad:

The only reason I ever watch MotoGP is to see if Stoner runs away with another one. BOOORRRRIIIINNNGGGGGGGG.

I loved MotoGP when they were 2-stroke monsters breathing fire, and Rainey was king, and Kacinski was super fast and threw his away every race. Lived for the USGP in Laguna Seca for years, always a part of the drunken screw crew.  Same camping spot on the hill overlooking the track for 5 years in a row.

Now all it is, is a one or two chassis makers and one or two engine makers, and million dollar riders. Zero relevance to me. Not that 1990's 2-strokes were any more relevant.

I do try to catch WSB as much as possible. Though I'm wondering wtf Kawasaki is doing, since they can't seem to podium even if their collective lives depended on it.

Cap'n Bob said:
I meant to watch it yesterday afternoon. But I was watching the NASCAR race and forgot about it!  :mad:

What's NASCAR?  :steeringwheel:

I was out in the shop re-assemblin' the Turbo and I forgot too.  :beerchug:
Sounds like we both missed a heck of a race. Wish I had a DVR or sumpin'.

Privateer said:
The only reason I ever watch MotoGP is to see if Stoner runs away with another one. BOOORRRRIIIINNNGGGGGGGG.

I loved MotoGP when they were 2-stroke monsters breathing fire, and Rainey was king, and Kacinski was super fast and threw his away every race. Lived for the USGP in Laguna Seca for years, always a part of the drunken screw crew.  Same camping spot on the hill overlooking the track for 5 years in a row.

Now all it is, is a one or two chassis makers and one or two engine makers, and million dollar riders. Zero relevance to me. Not that 1990's 2-strokes were any more relevant.

I do try to catch WSB as much as possible. Though I'm wondering wtf Kawasaki is doing, since they can't seem to podium even if their collective lives depended on it.
Actually, I've found the racing pretty good this year.  Seems that there are 3-4 guys capable of winning, although I agree that Stoner seems to have the right bike/tires/team/rider combo around.

Sometimes the real racing is further back in the pack and I've found watching Simoncelli to be a transcendent experience.  He's on a B-team bike but seems to be in the thick of things in most races.  He reminds me of Yvon DuHamel (papa of Mario and Miguel) whose brain seem to be composed of fissionable materials when he blasted off the line.  Win or crash time.

A couple of related thoughts:

- as Matt Oxley points out whenever he puts pen to paper, MotoGP seems to have become a competition of electronics as opposed to riders and bikes.  Traction control, anti-wheelie this, anti-drift that - I amazed there is actual racing going on at all.

- watch the 125 and Moto2 classes if you want to see insane racing.  I think they have a package bike/tire combo, so it's all about the riders.  Great stuff, and there's even Helmut Bradl's son, Stephan, out there fighting for the Moto2 championship

- too bad about AMA "racing".  "Nuff said.