• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MotoGP anyone?

smithr

We are having a MotoGP weekend COG event here in Austin.  Here is what I know so far. 

FIRST ANNUAL,  Tx MotoGP Weekend:
April 19-21 2013  Near Austin, Tx.

Details are still being worked out.  Check calendar entry for updates and details often. 
You must get your own tickets, parking passes and lodging.  Please register at the club calendar so I know how many are coming.
We should be able to have a ride and a meal so look for those details soon.

Tickets: for the MotoGP event at Circuit of The Americas go on sale Oct. 16, 2012,
will range in price from $133 to $199(reserve seat) and $89 general admission(grassy knoll) for all three days.
There is a menu across the top  "Home, TICKETS, About..."  click on the Tickets link again and it should have a pull down menu
with MotoGP as a choice.  Be sure to get your parking pass too.  $30 mc, $60 cage.  You must buy them before race day.
www.CircuitofTheAmericas.com/tickets

Camping can be at:
McKinney Falls State Park.  It is the closest camping to the race track and rally hotel.  You must reserve your own site EARLY. 
Cancel policy is >3 days you get charged $5. 
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/mckinney-falls

Lodging:
This place is not perfect or cheap but it is the best over all for location and amenities that we could find.

Microtel Inn and Suites Austin Airport
7705 Metro Center Drive, Austin, TX 78744 US
Phone:1-512-386-7800
1-800-337-0050

We talked to Brian.  He reserved a total of 15 rooms at $118 for two doubles (6 available) and $126 for a queen suite (9 available).
It's reserved under COG.  Mention COG or Concours Owners Group to get the room.  Please consider sharing rooms.

http://www.microtelinn.com/hotels/texas/austin/microtel-inn-and-suites-austin-airport/hotel-overview?areaCode=&searchWithinMiles=50&areaType=1&destination=austin&state=TX&country=US&checkin_date=02/21&adults=1&rooms=1&checkout_date=02/22&children=0&teens=0&ratePlan=BAR&useWRPoints=false&rate_code=&corporate_id=&iata=&campaign_code=&affiliate_id=&partner_id=&variant=&hotel_id=32007&brand_id=MT&force_nostay=false&tab=tab1

Forum thread:
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,38474.0.html

Calendar Entry:
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetailPublic2.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=175442&mo=4&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013-04-05%27%7D

Definitely interested, work schedule looks clear at this point, as does the personal calendar.  Dates added!  >:D

SO...
McKinney Falls State Park is the closest camping to the race track.  I can reserve a screen shelter for $40 a night(sleeps eight) but not individual tent or RV sites.  Cancel policy is >3 days you only get charge $5. 
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/mckinney-falls

The thing is I may not camp and they may want the person that reserved the site to be there.  Is there anyone that is fairly sure they would want to camp that would be willing to make the reservation?  Let me know asap.  This place will book up fast for that weekend.

I figure those that have RVs or do not want to be in a screen shelter can make individual reservations but party central can be at one we reserve.

I can now start looking into hotels but Austin has tons.  None are going to be all that close to the track.  Should I be looking for cheap, close or both?

Motel/hotel for me as well, cheap and close is fine, with emphasis on close.  ;D

Google Maps could not find the address CoA has on their site, but the coordinates Wikipedia gave me were right on the money- switching to satellite view you can zoom right in on the track: 30°7′58″N 97°38′28″W.  Looks like a 22hr ride each way for me, but I am long overdue for a road trip.  Looking forward to scouting the area when I visit 11/24-29, may have to make the race trip into a week of vacation just for fun.

Well Crap the F1 is allready sold out, maybe I'll try and make the Austin MotoGp.  I've seen the Inaugural MotoGP at Laguna (2X), Indy and Miller AMA, maybe I should keep the trend going

I'd be willing to host the Wildflower ride again this spring, and I think I'd like to hold it on the weekend of April 6th - 7th, which is the weekend after Easter (Easter falls on March 31 in 2013). This would put it two weeks before your Moto GP event. This also puts the Wildflower Ride in the peak of the Wildflower bloom, which is when it should be.

I'd also consider holding the Wildflower ride on the weekend of April 13&14, though this moves it a bit beyond the peak of the flower bloom.

OK we'll pencil in Big Bend for the 23rd, 24th, and 25th of March, 2013.

With the Wildflower on the 13th and 14th I think it works even though there's some close spacing on events.

Craig

I just got my general admission MotoGP tickets!  With fees it came to $100 a ticket.  Not to bad for three days I guess.

I still think we can use McKinney Falls State Park as the camping and RV venue.  I think you can book those slots now.  I have not had anyone interested in a screen shelter so far.

I was thinking of using a Super 8 as the hotel but they ticked me off wanting to run the price up and not giving us a block easy so screw them.

Next up is the Microtel by the airport.  Rooms have been blocked there for COG but I have to say we are still looking.

Bob, I'm doing something wrong. Where did you go to order your tickets?
I went to the address in your first note and don't see Moto GP.

Ted

Hey Ted, go back to the link in the first post and once there there is a menu across the top  Home TICKETS About...  click on the Tickets link again and it should have a pull down menu with MotoGP as a choice.

Parking Pass!  Crap now how much is that and how did you get one?  Ratafratensoalsuckinsobs

Can we all sit in your lap?  I could only spring for general admission.  I bet I regret it in the end but who knows.

I bought the $30 parking pass. , could not justify the $60 pass . Going to email the track and see what I am allowed to bring . Hoping to bring a folding chair and cooler .

I emailed them to ask about the need for parking passes for motorcycles and got no reply yet.  I also do not see where to buy one anyway.  Dave?

FYI,  We do have a block of rooms but I am still searching for something better and cheaper.  Once we make a final choice I will announce the results.

Bob I found the parking pass option at the same site where I bought the ticket . They gave you a choice of $30 or $60 pass I bought the $30 .

smithr-scad said:
FYI,  We do have a block of rooms but I am still searching for something better and cheaper.  Once we make a final choice I will announce the results.
Not sure I can do it yet, but if I don't miss out on getting tickets, I can stay at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary in one of their "motel" rooms for $25.  It IS an awesome deal for seminary alum.  Of course it's a seminary room though... no phone, no TV, no radio, yes to electric lights, AC, shortish twin bed, WiFi, and cement floors. :)

Dave I have asked twice and looked twice where you got parking passes and I have yet to find where.  Are you sure you did not get passes for F1 race?

I tried asking about parking for motoGP though email but no reply, at least yet.

We have one block safely in place but rooms are just over $100.  I am still looking for cheaper place that is nice enough.  I have two locations that I need to find time to drive across Austin to look at in person.

Some answers to a few questions from  the track owners .
All parking lots are near an entrance .
Are coolers and folding chairs going to be allowed at the Moto GP ?
A decision has not been made but there will be no coolers allowed at the F1 races .
How long before I receive my tickets ?
Tickets will be printed later this month .
I was told to sign up for the email notices to get more info .

Called to get a room from the block, they had no idea what I was talking about.  I asked her if she had any reservations for a Bob Smith and she said she had 2 reservations for Robert Smith, but they were done "over the internet" and not part of a room block?

I got a room reserved anyway... I think I got the last Friday night room available as well as Saturday (there were a number of rooms still available for Saturday).  She sounded not terribly sure of herself.

Did you mention "COG"... that is what the block is under and what I think I said in the announcement.  I will check it out.

Yes, that's what I said first.  No joy.  I had her look at COG, Concours, Bob Smith.... she found no such blocks.

I did check on the block and it is in place as COG and Concours Owners Group.  If you run into incompedent staff again let me know.  I will take it up to corprate. LOL

LMAO!  Go get 'em, Bob!  I'm reserved and everything so I'm not worried about it.  I think my room was $3 more.  It's still a good price and I'm happy to be around other COGGERS.

F1 race went great.  Traffic was better then I expected and the track is great.  Get your rooms and tickets now or your going to miss a good one I think.

Did you get any pictures? I'd love to see general photos of the track.  I see that google maps has updated the sat photos to show a completed track.

Mike did you watch the race on Speed channel?  That is all I did.  I talked to a guy here at work that went and local news coverage for my assessment.  The local coverage was quite good.  They had a 2 hour pre race special and I go to see all I wanted.  I should have gone but maybe next year.

Photos
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/media-center/photos

I just axed about when I will get my actual tickets and COTA/Ticket Masters said not until about a month before the race...  OK :/

Bob,
Have you found any cheaper hotels?  Is anyone looking to share a room at the hotel you have blocked for us?  I have decided to try and make it to the Moto GP.
Thanks,
Ralph

I can probably find you a cheaper hotel but it will not be anywhere near the race track.  If there is one than it will be a dive in the worst part of town.

I had about 10 people originally show interest here in the threads.  Of the 10 I think only one has booked at the location we found.  As soon as I find out what the release date is for the rooms I will ping everyone again.  If I don't get more bookings or more registering on the calendar I may drop this as an event and just meet up with those that show at the race if possible.

Bob,

Pamela and I will have to bail on the Moto GP event.

We've tried to work it in, but with BB and Wildflower it is the odd man out.

Craig

The COG hotel block arrangements for the MotoGP race weekend April 19-21 are set to be released on April 5th.  So far only one person has booked a room.  Even though it does not expire soon I encouraging you to book a room now.  You can always cancel.  I have agreed to allow another riding group to book under our block starting next week and if we do not book soon they may get the jump on a room you wanted.

Just thought I would share some facts after attending the F1 Grand Prix last November.  At that time there wasn't much "grassy knoll", just a lot of dirt, so take something to sit on if you are buying general admission tickets.  If you are buying grandstand tickets I can tell you that after testing every bleacher on the course my recommendation would be Turn 9 from the mid-level on up to see more turns/action.  Even in November the sun was direct and hot, so be prepared with hats/sunscreen for sure.  If you are using their shuttle bus instead of self-parking be prepared for a mile or so walk into and out of the track from bus parking.  Also, be prepared for very crowded walks from one side of the track to the other particularly up & over the single pedestrian bridge.  You can't carry food/drink into the track and be prepared to over-pay and wait in line for food and drink vendors.  Hopefully things are better organized than at the very first event I attended.  Having said all that - it was a great course for the racers and spectators.

Reserved my room for Friday and Saturday at the Microtel . Brain is not longer employed at the hotel but they are still honoring the rate .

About the general admission tickets, do they allow you access to just one area of the track or can you go to any general admission area? Anyway, I've ordered tickets and it's nice that the 30 buck parking pass is motorcycles only. See you there.

Pat

Major issue: you are not allowed back into the event if you leave at any point. So, let's say that you get there really early in the morning to watch the bike prep and warm ups. Then, you want to leave to go have lunch with friends, take a quickie ride, etc. You come back to the track expecting them to let you back in - no go. It's for "security" reasons and you're not allowed back in for the day. For us, we've been planning this since it was announced and are/were planning on bringing our 3 yo daughter. But ... no nap time? Really?
So far, our experience with the management of Circuit of the Americas has been pretty bad. Rules and policies have changed several times, seemingly at whim. Also, found out that motorcycle parking - that you pay $30 for - is unpaved parking.

I know J.  I have been getting mixed signals also.  I was told that you could pass out and come back but still did not believe it. 

I did get my tickets yesterday.  I will try to put out an email about my plans as soon as I get a break from the hell that is my life.

J said:
So far, our experience with the management of Circuit of the Americas has been pretty bad. Rules and policies have changed several times, seemingly at whim. Also, found out that motorcycle parking - that you pay $30 for - is unpaved parking.

Wow........do you even get a kiss?!!?? ::)

Unfortunately everything's commoditized these days....this to excess IMHO.

I'll watch on TV and root for ABR - anybody but Rossi!

Craig

Just found this on the FAQ

21. Does Circuit of The Americas Allow Re-entry?

Circuit of The Americas allows re-entry as long as you still have your ticket stub.

smithr1 said:
Just found this on the FAQ

21. Does Circuit of The Americas Allow Re-entry?

Circuit of The Americas allows re-entry as long as you still have your ticket stub.

That's good Bob, I might try to go next year after you trailblazers learn the ropes.

Thanks for putting this together Bob, and we'll see you  and Leslie at the WF.

Craig

Here's what a friend got from their customer service when he asked about the re-entry policy:

You do have access to the parking lot, the tickets are re-scan able. You cannot have your vehicle leave the parking lot without having to pay to come back in.

Take care,
Alyssa Harris
Call Center Representative
Circuit of The Americas

A few of us from MN are setting up our plans to go down to the race.  We are going to trailer the bikes as the weather is too unpredictable and we don't have the extra vacation days to ride.  Not sure where we will stay yet, but hope to decide by today.  Also hope to spend a couple of days riding the hill country after the race. 

Anyone else from MN going down there? 

I am about to email the track with questions.  If you have any let me know and I will include.

Two of you that are registered responded to my email.  Having more response to my questions would help.  Here are the main two questions.

Do you want me to lead a local ride Saturday morning?

Do you want to meet at the Catfish Parlor Saturday night?

I am coming down for the race!! Have to fly in, but at least I get to be there. Would like to meet up with COGgers on Sunday if possible... it'd be a great photo op for the Concourier!

Extremely psyched for this race!! Hope to see some of you there.

Update:
I have been sending update emails to the addresses you are registered for the event with.  If you have not gotten updates by email than check that account.

The morning ride I was planning for Saturday morning is now canceled.  I still have no replacement leader so far.

We can meet Saturday night @ 7pm at the Catfish Parlor down the street from the hotel.  This will be informal but some commitment and head count would help.  Please let me know if you plan to attend.
http://catfishparlour.com/south/south-store.html

Track did not reply to my last set of questions so I will just have to find out Friday and send another update email Friday night.

For anyone that can not get email but can see this. 
Last Update:
Hi Gang,
Spent the day at the track today.  We are so tired but it was fun.  Here is the short and long of it.
Short:
No leader was found, my bike and I can not make it so the ride is canceled, you are own your own with that.

Dinner at the catfish place at 7pm is the only event now and I am sad to say we will just have to go and hope there is room for us.  Gather at someones bike outside and we can go in together.

We will try to have a spot picked out in the turn 19 general admission area tomorrow.  We have a John Deer green blanket and two dark blue chairs.  Stop by for a sit.

The easy way to get from the MicroTel to the restaurant is to go south on 183(like going to the track) and turn west/right on Burleson Rd.  Where Burleson ends at Ben White/71 just turn Right and the catfish place it right there.  You actually pass the back entrance to the place before you get to 71/Ben White.  If you turn right on 71 out of the parking lot when you leave it goes right back to hotel area.

Long:
From where we parked to the only gate we could enter was a mile at least.  Expect to walk A LOT!  Track area is huge.  Pedi cabs from parking are there for a donation.  No free shuttle.

Only gate open I saw was at the NW corner of the complex.

We could pass out and go to the car for lunch or whatever but I do not think anyone will actually want to walk that far for a sandwich or something.  We will have water till it runs out but all food is own your own.

Just to the left of the Amphitheater stage, not up high but low and right next to the stage is a bathroom and water fountains.  Up high and only 20 yards away the fancy trailer bathrooms were packed.

Turn 9 was a long walk from where we parked.  It did have a good view of some hot turns but no TV monitor and you really needed it to have a clue what was going on.

Turn 7 has a screen and a leader board and is an enjoyable area.  It may be better for us on Sunday just due to crowds.

Turn 19 was good TV and sound.  View of turns was alright and you could see the last turn before the finish.  It was close to concessions and Industry tents.  I expect that area to be packed Sunday.  We will see you there.

Day one experience = awesome.  The track is really good IMHO.  My buddy and I are in turn one stands with a great view of the front straight and a bunch of turns in both directions.  Some other friends are in the turn 15 stands which also have a great view of a bunch of turns.  As long as you are up high you can't go wrong in either location.  Of course this is for future planning because I think they are sold out for this event.

Ate dinner just outside the track at La Tapitia.  Excellant Mexican.  I'm from MN so I don't usually get great Mexican chow like this so it was fantastic. 

Didn't see many bikes on the way down until just south of Waco when a big group of Connies went past us.  Whoohoo!  I can't wait to unload mine.  I don't usually trailer the bike, but MN is still covered in snow.  In case you didn't hear, 8-12 inches on Thursday.  Glad I'm here.

Had a STUPID good time, other than the drive back.  J, Bill, super nice to meet y'all.  Bill you come back anytime.  :)  Bob, that was a fine fish place you suggested!  Always a pleasure to see you.

Race weekend was AWESOME!! Got tons of great pix, and a great time meeting my South Central brothers and sisters at the Catfish Parlour. Loved Austin -- may have to move there someday!

Great weather, prototype racing technology, access to the paddock + pits, too much bourbon, and The Girls Of Texas!!! Doesn't get much better than that!
:great: :beerchug:

Attachments

• AustinGP_COG-1a.jpg
    AustinGP_COG-1a.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 127
  • AustinGP_COG-2a.jpg
    AustinGP_COG-2a.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 115
  • AustinGP_COG-3a.jpg
    AustinGP_COG-3a.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 123
  • AustinGP_COG-4a.jpg
    AustinGP_COG-4a.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 145
Nice shots Bill.  I almost caught a pic of the ladies passing through the cheap seats but got there 1 second late for a good shot.  You must have had the best of tickets to get some of those shots.  They didn't let us pee ons anywhere near that part of the track.

Good pics Bill - enjoyed everyone's company.

Have we found a new 'COG Photographer in Chief'?

It is better in Texas.........

I've had a great time here in TX.  Spent the last 3 days riding around Kerrville.  The three sisters and other places.  Great riding.  The MotoGP was terrific.  There were some niggling complaints about the operation but that's to be expected for the first year of operation.  Overall great job.

I saw a black C14 and a greyish C10 today on the Sisters.  Anyone here? 

Made it to the track on Friday and Sat. Other obligations kept me from attending on Sunday but I did get to watch the big race on the tube. COTA is a top notch facility and the prices for concessions and other stuff reflect that. One just has to resign himself to the fact that your going to drop a few bucks there. Overall it was a good experience. Really was nice on Friday being able to ride through tunnel 2 and park in the infield parking lot along with about 500 other riders. Saw just about everykind of bike you could think of there.
Great to watch the best racers in the world. These guys (and a few women too) have allot more courage and skill than I do to ride like that. Amazing!!! Looking forward to next years racing. Sorry I missed you fellow Coggers, guess I was too busy watching the action on the track. Spent a lot of time in the area around the amphitheater sitting on the grassy berm. One of my neighbors used to race with Ben Spies several years back at the club level. I think it was the Central Road Race Club. Not sure if that is still around or not. So I kind of had a local to pull for. I believe he finshed 13th in the
GP.
Pat