• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MotoGP rule changes for 2013

krumgrinder

Street Cruiser
Well it was pretty obvious this past season that the whole CRT thing just didn't work out the way it was hoped.  Even amongst the factory teams, in any one race the number of bikes with a reasonable chance of winning was less than a handful.  Here's a link to an article about changes to the rule set for the upcoming season to try and bring back some excitement; 'hope springs eternal,' eh?  :-[

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1442038-2014-motogp-rule-changes-will-save-the-series-from-ruin

Well something has to be done. MotoGP is in trouble when you start to loose riders like Stoner that think the premiere call has become a joke. I think the CRT's have their place but in a separate race before the prototypes.

There are so many issues with GP. One of the reasons I read Stoner left was all the politics and constant rule changing. It was also interesting because even thought he was very successful he said that the electronics have gotten to be too much. I would agree with that. I miss the 1000cc days 10 years ago when it was way more the rider then the bike package. Another issue is tires. Because there is no competition bridge stone is not having to push themselves. Think what got us here. There were 2 tire companies fighting for riders. Bridgestone did the best they could for their riders and came from back of the pack to dominate brand. However now that there is no push quality and development have slowed down considerably. I just hope they done screw up WSBK like they have GP.

I'm fine with the elctronics but not for closer racing as they like to talk about, but for making it safer for the racers.  It's nice to see high side accidents a thing of the past

My biggest complaint is the damnCRT bikes they need to get these non prototype bikes out of the same class and start there own

I don't wanna be off-base here & I certainly hope I don't offend anyone, but these have always been my thoughts on sports in general...
I'll get this outta the way first- We all know why things are "the way they are"... MONEY. Period! It's like asking why the NCAA and their Division I college football has some BCS polling crap instead of a real playoff system like every other division of american football that exists from Pop Warner to the NFL. It's all about the MONEY! Don't ever let anyone tell you that this is not the case... With that being said, it is then about the sponsors. The team sponsors, the tire sponsors, the series sponsors, the gear sponsors, the TV sponsors, the list truly does go on & on... My simple question has always been this: Why can't all top-tier professional racing series around the world(whether it's F1, Nascar, MotoGP, Supercross, whatever...) be based on a "run-whatcha-brung" format? I personally want to see the best athletes in the world(with the biggest nutsacks) wrestling the meanest machines that current technology can produce turning the fastest lap times humanly possible! That's what they did when racing any sort of machine started wasn't it? I want Rossi to be able to choose whatever particular tire he wants/thinks will benefit him the most at any given track on any given day. I also want to see circle cars hit 300mph if that is actually possible! Don't get me wrong, I'm not for needlessly endangering any athlete in any sport., but since when has listing your chosen profession as "professional motorsport racer" been considered a safe occupation? There already is every safety feature known to man built into the premier tracks & machines, yet people still die every year in racing accidents within those series. I know it's only a pipe-dream, and I can definitely see having certain classes/displacement rules, but I think when any type of racing is carried out on this platform it makes for much more spectator interest. Shoot, I even wish they had "steriod" classes in the summer olympics! If there are athletes/people out there that are willing to(maybe even stupid enough), then let's see what they can do! In theory, there would be a threshold where the machines & tires peak, and there would also be a cut-off point(from fear of losing their life) for those who are indeed willing to push their machines/bodies to those particular set of limits. As far as motorsports go & if it ever got to that point, then build new tracks to accommodate the elevated speeds! I was at the Indy GP last year & saw the CRT bikes getting lapped. ::) I either want to see every rider on the grid on the same exact bike with the same exact tires, or I want to see who makes the outright fastest machine with the absolute best rider on board. Just think of the Isle of Man TT for a minute... what rules(besides displacement classes) actually hold those riders/teams back? How long has the TT been in business & what kind of draw/spectator interest does it have? Case in point...

Amen LT. In 1915 people weren't worried about airbags, DOT helmets, horsepower limits or crash barriers. They wanted to go faster. Faster than what you ask? Faster than the last guy. Guys like Gretzky, Montana, Jordan, Ryan (Nolan), Schumacher, DuHamel or Rose didn't live to uphold the status quo. They lived to be better, stronger, faster, smarter and perform at a higher level than their predecessors. Let people race!!! If you can go 300 on the front straight then do it!!! If you're willing to risk you're life for millions then so be it!!! It's your choice!!!  There are people out there that are willing to jeopardize their health to go 43 mph on a bicycle in France for gods sake. Why can't I see a 2000 cc 2 stroke go 270 on the front straight at Indy? There are politics in everything and that will never change but I sure don't see the harm in letting people push the limits. That's the only thing that drives improvement. Who knows. If people rode right and broke in their bikes like real men then maybe their water pumps would seal correctly  and they'd be able to ride instead of wrench. Lol!! Lol. Love you LT and I agree entirely.

Hey you, ya farginbastage! Was with you up 'til this point...

farginbastage said:
Who knows. If people rode right and broke in their bikes like real men then maybe their water pumps would seal correctly  and they'd be able to ride instead of wrench. Lol!! Lol. Love you LT and I agree entirely.

Guys like Stoner, Hayden, & Rossi... they might ride "right" and only spin tires. I ride so hard & so"right"... I spin water pump seals!!!  :)) Mark my words farginbastage, one day you will whine... "It's because his 2012 C14 has KTRC/ABS & my 2010 doesn't..." :'(

It was a good race at Quatar today, Rossi came back to attack Pedrosa and Marquez in the end, Dovi having a good start and showing on the Ducati, Lorenzo like always up front.  Looks like a start to an awesome season.  The footage was really good as well

Definitely was a good race at Qatar... I'm lookin' forward to watching & seeing how the whole 2013 MotoGP season plays out-