• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

mountain run augusta to greeneville tn

maverick9611

“tryin not to get old”
takin 28 out of augusta. scoot around anderson sc and pick up us178 at northlake sc. take us178 all the way to us64, hang a left and turn right on nc215(one of my favs) stay on 215 all the way to canton nc. pick up thickety rd. which turns into crabtree mountain rd. this will dump you out on nc209 (the rattler). head north to hot springs nc
head east on us25 to nc208. head north 208 turns into tn70 which takes you into greeneville. we leave friday. gonna do some great ridin in northern tn also.
more to come....

ride report
sorry for the delay. we left auguata at 1300 and made out way up 28 to anderson. this way is a tad slower but when ya hit us178 at anderson sc things start rolling. us178 to rosmannc is quite nice as the twisties start getting quite good. we always get gas at the exxon on old rosman hwy. not many station around, so its a wise decision to fill up b4 going over the mountain. head west on us64 for a couple of miles and pick up nc215. folks 215 kicks ass. great over the mountains run, nc215 has it all. sweepers, super tight twisties and beautiful scenery. the colors of the trees super evident near the top. you can also access blue ridge parkway too if ya feellin the urge. 215 rolls into canton nc and time for out next quest which would be nc209(the rattler) well getting there ended up being quite the hoot. we picked up thickety rd to crabtree mountain road which dumps out on nc209. crabtree was a very narrow backway mountain road which had bad roads, gravel in the corners and very sharp switchbacks. thats my kind of riding. great practice to better yourself. picked up nc 209 and headed for hot springs. the rattler is great as always. rolled into hot springs at dusk. met some indy riders on bmw's at sara jo's gas station. talked bikes n loops and headed for greeneville via us25. picked up nc208 and headed north. turns into tn70 at the state line. made it to greeneville at dark.
day 2. a little rain started the morn which we waited out. decided to do a mini copperhead loop up by beanstation, sneedville, and rogersville. tn 31,going up the mountain and tn 66 comin down. 11 west back to tn 66 back to bulls gap and 11 east back to greeneville. north tenn. mountain roads are wonderful. a true gem.
day 3(return trip)
went south to marshall and picked up nc251. this runs right next to french broad river all the way to asheville. nice view/scenery. asheville traffic a nightmare as usual. a real mess, took i26 down to clinton sc and took the back way back to augusta. ride done. 643 miles.

That's a good run. I know you know this but for those that don't; instead of turning left into Greenville on 208, turn right on 212 and go to Erwin. I've never spent much time up north of Bulls Gap but it looks interesting. BTW, Bulls Gap has the highest banked dirt track I've ever seen, they run Late models and occasionally sprint cars. Also BTW, my daughter used to live 2 miles south of 276 on 215.

Thanks for the report, I need to spend about a week down there again.

it's greeneville with a E as the locals would say. yes I've done erin loop too. we were pressed for time ( georgia game at 1530, tenn. game at 1900)😉
thanx for the tip