• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mountain Runner Flash

busamike

Big Wheel
Pulled the ECU a few weeks ago and sent it to Steven in FL for his Mountain Runner flash. The man is a wizard! It’s hard to improve on what has already been said about his work, but I’ll add my 2 cents worth. Currently I also have a 2003 Hayabusa with a Brock Davidson pipe, PC3r a K&N filter and small airbox mod. It puts 184 hp and 101 ft/lbs to the rear wheel. I bought it new in 2003 so I’m familiar with decent performance. The C14 is a great bike as it was with the exception of fueling. Thank you Steve! In short, deceleration is very good with this flash. Clutchless shifting is great, even at low rpm. High rpm throttle transitions on-off-on are smooth and predictable. I’ve noticed added power everywhere below 9000 rpm. After that it matches stock power, understandable, the bike is stock. Bottom end grunt and part throttle midrange are what surprise me the most. The last thing to mention is the gas mileage. My previous best was 48 mpg. That was done very carefully on back roads not exceeding 50 mph. Any playing at all killed that. At 60-65 the mileage started to fall off.  Now at 60-65, fresh tank and then right back on the highway it went up to 52 mpg. This was riding solo. Even if the mileage isn’t accurate, the % of change would be. Now when I do play with the throttle and then go back to just cruising the mileage recovers much better.

With the Hayabusa, the must do changes are pipe, power commander, K&N and airbox mod. With the C14, Steve’s flash is the single must do mod. Again, I’d like to thank Steve for the hard work he put into this.

2003 Hayabusa
2009 C-14

My ECU is in route as I type this. Anxious to get it back and put some miles on. Have heard many good things about his flash. It was great talking with him last week too.

G,  You can tell from talking to him that he cares about what he does, and it shows in his flash! One-up or two-up riding my C-14 is transformed.  Mike.

Here's another way to look at it. (Back story) I bought running shoes once. The salesman listened to what I wanted/needed then proceeded to bring out the shoes. We went through them for basic fit and narrowed them down to just 3 pairs. Next he put me on a treadmill and we mixed and matched until I had the right pair. At one point I had a mixed pair to compare. What I found was with one shoe I noticed things that were wrong, the other one I just didn't notice.

When I got the C-14 I noticed things about the performance and driveability I didn't like. Now that I have Steve's Mountain Runner flash I simply don't notice anything (until I twist the throttle - All's Good) and I can just enjoy the ride.

Mike.

2003 Hayabusa
2009 C-14

busamike said:
When I got the C-14 I noticed things about the performance and driveability I didn't like. Now that I have Steve's Mountain Runner flash I simply don't notice anything (until I twist the throttle - All's Good) and I can just enjoy the ride.

I have often told folks that my intent, and my version of good tuning, is that the tune becomes invisible. At that point you don't think about the things that you don't like, because they're gone. You're free to concentrate on the ride, and the bike does what you expect it to do. I'm glad you had another occasion in your life for that kind of statement to make sense to you. Steve

Here's an update. I just completed a 60 mile ride 2-up. Nothing spirited, just some 2 lane back highway riding. Current tank now has 233 miles on it and the low fuel warning hasn't come on yet. It's displaying 50.5 mpg. Before this ride it indicated 50.1 mpg. Money well spent!

Mike.

2003 Hayabusa
2009 C-14

My ECU is back home and I am out of town. Looking forward to getting back home and getting a ride in with the new ECU. This is the fastest turnaround  I have ever experienced. Thanks again Steve. Will report back after installation of the ECU and slip on. 

Installed the ECU with the Mountain Runner Flash a couple hours ago, managed to get in about 5 miles on a paved road close to the house. As the storms have been passing thru here late afternoon - early evening the paved road was wet & I needed to be cautious. The shifting up and down was noticeably smoother, throttle response is also noticeably improved. I did manage to get it up to 70 for a few seconds. First impression is an enhanced refined C14, how it shoodaben. More to follow after a longer dry ride. Hats off to Steve!! 

G said:
Installed the ECU with the Mountain Runner Flash a couple hours ago, managed to get in about 5 miles on a paved road close to the house. As the storms have been passing thru here late afternoon - early evening the paved road was wet & I needed to be cautious. The shifting up and down was noticeably smoother, throttle response is also noticeably improved. I did manage to get it up to 70 for a few seconds. First impression is an enhanced refined C14, how it shoodaben. More to follow after a longer dry ride. Hats off to Steve!!

See if you can get into some curves and twisties with it, where it'll expose the throttle control unique to Mountain Runner. Honestly it's going to take a few rides in different situations, like highway, traffic, curves and twisties, low speed parking lot, etc to really expose what you have there. If each first time you encounter a different condition and the bike did just what you hoped it would, THEN you know you've got something there! That's the report I'll be looking for! Steve