• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Movie: Senna

I was a big Ayrton Senna fan. I was watching Imola that Sunday morning (my time) and watched his death when the his Williams hit that wall on May 1,1994. To make it worse, Roland Ratzenberger was killed the day before in practice for the San Marino Grand Prix. We lost two talented men in the span of about 24 hours at Imola. I even was planning on naming my daughter "Senna" until my mother in law pointed out that Senna is also the name of a laxative. So as much as I wanted that name for her. We reluctantly changed it when she was born. (true story) 
I want to see this movie, but it's only playing in NY city around here. I'm not going all the way to NYC to see the movie. Hopefully I'll be able to see it around here somewhere. It doesn't look like it's an IMAX theater. So hopefully it will around.

Made it out to see the movie last night, enjoyed it very much.  Great footage of the Formula One races of several years, from both track perspective as well as in-car, drivers meetings, interviews with Senna and his family as well as with other drivers.  Loved the part where he skewered Jackie Stewart for asking a particular question in an interview- incredible poise and confidence without coming across as arrogant.  Hated the part about Martin Donnelly's fatal crash, just because it was so tragic and reminded me how frail the human body is.

Definitely recommend this movie to anyone interested in any kind of racing sport; it's a bit of a time capsule but amazing the story is still so relevant.  :13:

Krumgrinder, I'm happy to correct you, fortunately Martin Donnelly survived that crash and lives today.  In "Senna", Ayrton is shown telling a flock of pestering reporters that he had spoken to Donnelly in the hospital after it happened.

No question that the documentary is a powerful film about powerful personalities.  Each viewer will draw their own conclusions about how arrogant or humble each of the players is/was at the time.  I certainly don't think it's disrespectful to acknowledge that Ayrton Senna at times displayed the cocky self-confidence that perhaps is requisite to be a champion in such a dangerous sport.

Cap'n Bob, you might reconsider that trip to The City, as a Senna fan it'd be a shame if you missed the film and since it is only out as a DVD in Brazil and Japan there's just no telling about it's continued distribution in the US.

Centex said:
Krumgrinder, I'm happy to correct you, fortunately Martin Donnelly survived that crash and lives today.  In "Senna", Ayrton is shown telling a flock of pestering reporters that he had spoken to Donnelly in the hospital after it happened.

Alan, thanks for setting that straight for me- could swear I heard them say he passed on the way to the hospital, but I must've confused it with a different event.  That shot of him on the track will haunt me for some time.  :(

Many people who are successful in their field many times come across as arrogant when in fact its merely supreme confidence. I see this a lot in the medical profession. True, there are some real winners out there. But think about the intense,lengthy and demanding training and practice involved to be the best, where one slight mistake means someone or you dies. For some, it goes to their head, others appear aloof or arrogant, either way, its often misunderstood by many.