• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MPG competition: Actually not "racing"

Tour1

Are there any MPG / economy competitions any more?  Once in a while I come across a solar powered car race or a see an article about a tech school project but I haven't heard of any rallies or whatever where economy was a goal and a prize winner.  I recall from the 70's a story of an mpg competion that was won by a guy who wrote "sports 2 seater" on his entry and it turned out to be a diesel cement truck ( details likely getting murky with age).
I am thinking a reasonable contest for a bike rally would be about 150 miles in one direction only, from designated filling station to designated filling station.  Rider's choice of route and speed (the shortest fastest route being obvious, hopefully) but keep it nominally legal, and try to top off each tank the same way before & after to measure the fuel.
USA is predicting good things for energy over the next decades but there's always a choice between ways of getting from place to place.  At least until self driving rentals take over.

Electrics would beat all comes these days.
Zero I believe advertises they can do that range.

That event is what I had in mind, though an eye opener for me.  235 MPG on a 250 cc bike?  Wow!