• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MSF Group Riding Tips

doug said:
Thanks Steve! It's not a refresher when your a NEW B.. :))

How New B?  Did you take MSF beginner class? ERC?  Maybe look into if your state motorcycle program offers the Group Riding module.

I took Texas' motorcycle safety course that gives you your license. The only group riding I have done has been out of a motocross starting gate! Somehow it all gets ost in the translation to street. Your course was helpful having never been on group rides. I would like to take an advanced rider course in the near future and take a class on my bike as well. The class I had used 250s and there isnt much i can translate to the 1000.

doug said:
I took Texas' motorcycle safety course that gives you your license. The only group riding I have done has been out of a motocross starting gate! Somehow it all gets ost in the translation to street. Your course was helpful having never been on group rides. I would like to take an advanced rider course in the near future and take a class on my bike as well. The class I had used 250s and there isnt much i can translate to the 1000.

Actually, all the skills learned in the beginner course can be applied to riding larger bikes...  I'm not familiar with the Texas safety program, but it appears they do use the MSF curriculum.  You already took the MSF Basic Ridercourse (BRC), so the next logical step is the MSF Experienced Ridercourse (ERC), which Texas seems to called their advanced class. (This is confusing as MSF also offers and Advanced Ridercourse-Sportbike Techniques)  The ERC is taken on your own bike and consists of many of the same riding exercises you performed in the BRC.

As for group riding... take a look at the topic I started about possibly offering some of the MSF seminars at the 2011 National Rally... Group Riding would be one of them.

doug said:
The only group riding I have done has been out of a motocross starting gate!
Wow Doug you are either really fast or really slow if you are only in the group at the start.

Little tracks and fundays.. keep in mind I am 50 now and that was in my youth!!! YZ's and RM's the days of the Hodaka... They would line up any who showed!  :p

My wife and I have only been riding for 5 years, but we have ridden 45,000 km each of the last 2 years (each on our own bikes) and have therefore come up behind a lot of groups. On a 4 lane divided highway they aren't a problem, but most groups head for the quieter 2 lane roads and it has been our observation that for the most part they are more of a hazard than anything else - if they are of this "manageable size" of 5 to 7 bikes. They are often going the speed limit, which is fine, but they often have at least several vehicles behind them that are reluctant to pass. We don't mind mind blasting around them (my wife rides an FJR), but not everyone has either the power or the inclination to ride/drive like that. Maybe even smaller groups together would be more appropriate.

Hi all.
Here is information on how to register for the upcoming one-day advanced rider course on June 18, 2014 at the national.  First log in to http://www.appalachianridered.com/ then start the registration.  For course name choose ERC MILITARY and for class date: ADVANCED JUNE 18.  When you go to pay, choose MILITARY DISCOUNT to get $10 off. 
Good luck.
I will see you on the field or parking lot.

I did a lot of riding this year, and was asked by some group riders why I rode so much by myself. The things I like about riding solo, no group and no passenger, are that I can get up and go anytime I feel like it, I can stop when and where I want, I can go as fast or slow as I want, and if I don’t feel like riding any particular day I don’t. It’s a great feeling to be free and not have to answer to anyone. Many of those same group riders who asked me “why” told me I was “living the dream.”