• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Murph headlight wiring

Wizeguy

Does anyone have the wiring diagram handy for Murph's headlight harness? Installing a salvaged harness on my '89, and need to confirm which wire goes to which terminal on the bike's H4 plug.

JohnJuan said:
You could probably email Murph's support.
I could, but Murph and his....um....support are on vacation right now.  ;D  But I may just end up waiting until they get back to work.

I have the diagram you need, but I won't be back home until this Friday.

If someone hasn't gotten it to you by then will send it.  It's a in a pdf format.

mgoodrich said:
I have the diagram you need, but I won't be back home until this Friday.

If someone hasn't gotten it to you by then will send it.  It's a in a pdf format.
That would certainly be appreciated!  I won't have a chance to dig back in until the weekend anyway, so that be perfect, thank you!

I installed Murph's wiring harness in 2010. I did find hard copy  instructions in my files.  mgoodrich says he has the diagram in .pdf and will send it.

The applicable section reads:

"Holding the OEM headlight socket with the terminals at 3,6,and 9 o'clock, insert the white wire on the left, the plain black wire on the bottom, and the black wire with the red heat-shrink on the right."

Left = 9 o'clock, Bottom= 6 o'clock, Right = 3 o'clock.

On the last page of the instructions is an "Addendum for Reserve Lighting Device equipped Concours". It says that early models came equipped with  a Reserve Lighting Device. It instructs how to remove this device  from the bike and install a jumper on the remaining 9-pin connector.  The jumper is between the blue wire pin and the blue with yellow stripe pin on the female half of the connector. The device is mounted to the fairing stay on the left side, under the left hand fairing pocket. I did not pay attention to this Addendum as mine is a '06.

Good luck. Let us know if you need more info.

gMitch said:
"Holding the OEM headlight socket with the terminals at 3,6,and 9 o'clock, insert the white wire on the left, the plain black wire on the bottom, and the black wire with the red heat-shrink on the right."

Left = 9 o'clock, Bottom= 6 o'clock, Right = 3 o'clock.
THANK YOU!!!!  :great:    That is EXACTLY what I needed!

I'm assuming the Reserve Lighting Device circuit has already been disabled, since the bike presently has the VVME 35W HID kit.  But thanks as well for including that info, it reminds me I need to check.

Aargh, I waited too long. I had Murphs heavy duty headlight wiring harness on my farkle list for a while now and figured I'd install one while I had the headlight and tank off. Unfortunately, Murphs no longer stocks this harness. Murph told me that the harnes was made for them and he hasn't been able to find any of the paperwork

I know this is an old thread but gMitch or mgoodrich, if you can still lay your hands on the instructions or the diagram, I figure I might be able to fabricate the harness myself.

Thanks muchly,

Ken

My email is "mgoodrich80@gmail.com". Just send me your email and I can send it to you.

It is too big to attach to a reply here, and I don't seem to understand how to send a PM anymore on this site.

In this pdf though Murph didn't include a schematic of how the relays were wired up, just shows a picture of what is used. I suppose that I could take a picture of it on my bike this winter when I take my faring off to fix it (has a crack by turn signal). That won't be until January time frame though.

Last edited:
Fantastic!
Murph’s kits are usually really well designed and documented, so I think with your help, along with a couple other threads I found here, I should be able to wire up a reasonable facsimile and not burn the bike down.

The extra light will be nice, but the real advantage, IMHO, will be taking all that current out of the J-box (and not melting the light connector!

Tru dat.

However, the engineer in me just thinks that the relay circuit is just a better design and that power and control lines should be separate and the less power I draw through the J-box, the longer it will last (postponing the inevitable).

And a question for the group - Does an LED headlamp work with a modulator (like the Signal Dynamics Diamond Star). Don't have one yet but it's on the list...

That's a slick mod! It looks like there's a number of ways to skin this cat.

And Murph, Thanks for the use of your I.P.! Love your products. Please keep the C10 in your catalog!

If i remember correctly kissan sells modulators for led headlights. I have standard headlights on my 2010, and looked into switching to leds. The modulator im using isnt compatible with led, but their website listed a modulator for led. I just didnt want to spend that much to change.