• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Murph's Ball Bearing Shifter

Being winter, with too much time on my hands, I ordered the ball bearing shifter kit from Murph's. I had to wait a few days, until the outside temp raised a few points, to try it out. Have to say, I am impressed. It is surprising  how a little thing like that can make your whole bike feel better. The shifts are so smooth and precise. Makes the bike feel like it's built like a Swiss watch. The kit is inexpensive, easy to install, and really does some good. What's not to like?

Yep, one more thing to do to the motorcycle. When you get to the bearinged shifter mod, it’s an indicator that you are running out of things to add. At least I hope so!

It is one of those mods you dont think you need until you install it and then you think, I should have done that sooner.

I agree. Nice feel for sure and worth it!! The OEM plastic sleeve that came with my bike lasted about 30,000 miles and was falling apart.....probably due to me not lubing it more than once.

I'm going to get one also per your recommendations.  Just thinking how many times you use the shifter on an average ride.  Thanks.

I am sure that the difference experienced will be unique to each bike, due to mileage and other factors. It is nice to experience such smooth shifts, every time.

I have it too... It's an amazing bang for the buck! Such a small mod, such a great return!

Way to go Murph!

Ever wonder if Murph sits around and contemplates.....why the heck did I get 116 orders for bearing shifters in one day?  ::) :rotflmao:

4Bikes said:
Ever wonder if Murph sits around and contemplates.....why the heck did I get 116 orders for bearing shifters in one day?  ::) :rotflmao:
No, because Buzzard is a sock puppet account of Murph and he’s laughing all the way to the bank.  :))

Nope, Buzzard is an old curmudgeon residing in the frigid valleys of Western Colorado. I do not endorse products often. But the combination of inexpensive, easy to install, and great results deserve a write up. While I am at it, let me say this. As an ageing motorcyclist, I have been on a program to buy a bike I've always wanted, use it a year or so, sell it, and get another bike I've always wanted. This Concours has completely screwed that program up. I like the Concours so much, I cannot think of another bike I would wish to replace it with. So I keep on riding it. I do have a couple of other bikes, off road varieties, and I am always shopping.

Staylo said:
4Bikes said:
No, because Buzzard is a sock puppet account of Murph and he’s laughing all the way to the bank.  :))

:)) Being one of those 116 I got a chuckle. I have contemplated this mod for a while. 6 weeks out of having both knees replaced the Ortho said "you are waaay ahead of schedule. 125 degrees of motion both sides I may clear you for work."  I said I saw 18 patients yesterday so you are a minute late to the game. Still got work to do to get to riding shape and till I am comfy with the bike but in the meantime I think I will get a few of these projects done. Still January so I got time.

Thought about just buying the whole shift lever but reading here I just got the basic kit and will figure it out.

Signed

"one of the 116"

Forgot about this lil inexpensive mod til I saw the post. Ordered, got in 2 days and installed in 30 minutes. More positive upshifts especially clutchless! 👍
Guess I'm #117?

Hello all! I just got the kit and i'm looking forward to installing. I read their instructions and it only mentions putting a washer between a bearing and bracket. a washer needs to go behind the bolt as well,no?

TYIA

Chris

All the washers, and bearing's are used.
  Bolt/thin washer/bearing/spacer/bearing/spacer/bearing/thin washer....

Be sure to Loctite the bearings in place..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
All the washers, and bearing's are used.
  Bolt/thin washer/bearing/spacer/bearing/spacer/bearing/thin washer....

Be sure to Loctite the bearings in place..

Ride safe, Ted

Which Loctite? I'm thinking not the usual stuff for threads.  Loctite makes a sleeve retainer, I'm gunna source some of that.

Tyia, Chris

Does anyone know if murph changed the kit contents? I ordered the bearing kit and it shipped with my rear wheel hugger! All i got was a small tube of bearings! I dont want to install them just in case it wasnt changed. I emailed a few days ago but havent heard anything. Im not worried because i know they’ll make good on it but just wanted to check.

I did talk to oscar from murphs. They accidentally sent me the wrong thing! Should have the new kit today!

Guys,  i'm reading along and how much smoother can it get? I go out and move the shifter by hand and it feels super smooth, but have also kept it lubed.  I mean my shiftin' toe has never been tired on any bike I've owned. ha ha  You guys are goin' on about it like it's something to have.. So maybe your on to something I need to check out.  By the way I had the opportunity to talk with Mike the owner (i believe he said) and we chatted for several minutes. Heck of a nice guy. KJ

Hey Guys..

Just wanted to drop in a note here. Seems Mama K has opened up the bore every so slightly so we are now recommending that you use  Lock Tite when switching over to the shifter kit.

Another heads up, there are two little stainless  spacer washers on the unit,  be watching for them when you pull the bolt out of the shifter as they have been know to get lost. Your shifter will drag with out these little  puppies missing..

best
Murph

Hey Murph,

I ordered my kit 3 days ago, shipped the same day and arrived today. Great service!

I ran into an issue I haven't seen discussed in any of the COG threads. When I installed the bearings and spacers in the shifter, with one bearing flush with shifter side the stack extended an 1/8 to 3/16" past the other side of the shifter not including the small washer. It's a 2015 and I have one of shifters where the bearings aren't a press fit. I can push the bearings out by hand. ,So, the shifter had a lot (to me) of side to play with the 2 small washers in place.

I'm not confident blue Locktite can hold the bearings in place with this amount of play and my large ID shifter. For now I placed a thin washer drilled out to the bearing OD over each end, took off the bolt head side small washer and snugged the bolt down with blue Locktite. It seems to move fine in the garage. Test ride tomorrow.

Is the bearing stack supposed to be wider than the shifter body (without the small washers)? Is my "solution" ok?

I have a decent caliper so can do some measurements if you want.

Thanks!

Leo

Leo, I had the same concerns. {I initially forget about the Loctite}
Added the be Blue Loctite, and it worked perfectly.
NOTE: If the bore is excessively big, you could use Superglue Gel, but I think the Loctite will do fine..

Remove your extra washers as they are making contact with the body of the shifter and will cause friction.
You should have a thin thrust washer outside of each bearing.
    To prevent friction, they make contact only with the inner bearing race.

As I recall the stack is thin thrust washer/bearing/thick thrust washer/bearing/thin thrust washer.
The bearing's/thrust washer's stack will be approx. 1/32 wider than your shifter body.

Hope this helps.
      Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted.

But just the 3 bearings and the 2 spacers are probably 1/16"+ wider than the shifter body. When I add in the 2  thrust washers the total gap between between the bracket/shifter/bolt head is 1/8 - 3/16". So, that's how much side to side play would be in the shifter without gluing the bearings in place. And that's a lot of gap for crub to accumulate in. The 2 washers I added have an ID larger than the OD of the bearings. So, they are not putting any clamping pressure on the outer bearing race to restrict its rotation., they are just a gap filler for that 1/8 - 3/16.

Murph the shifter body is right at 20.21mm/.795" wide. Is that the expected width? I will take it back apart for pictures if you want.

Now with all this said, the shifter rotates easily and smoothly. I took it out for a ride this morning and it shifts great, nice and crisp like all the others. So I`m really happy with the bearings.  :great:  :motonoises:  I'm not trying to complain here, just wanted you to know my observations in how this went together as it seems it wasn't quite as other installs.

Thanks.

Leo

Ted,

I thought more about your post, reviewed Murph's instructions and went out and looked at it again. So, I took it off and installed as directed.

With the shifter centered, actually doesn't look too bad.

[smg id=2019]

Now with the shifter pushed against the mounting. This what has me concerned because it's too easy to move like this by hand.

[smg id=2020]

With just this slip fit of the bearings I'm concerned a good bump or kick to the shifter could loosen up the locktite or super glue.

I think I'll keep the 2 thin large washer in place as they just fill the gaps on both sides in the first picture. They aren't causing any drag on the shifter and eliminate my concern for it moving side to side if the glue doesn't keep the bearings in place.

Thoughts?

I went back and looked at mine thinking I might be giving bad info.
The Blue Loctite is holding mine from moving perfectly. I even tried using a screwdriver to move it.
Does not move side to side...
I did err on 1 thing. {I sed; The bearing's/thrust washer's stack will be approx. 1/32 wider than your shifter body}.

The bearings are approx. flush with both sides of the shifter body. So, the gap on each side is the thickness of the trust washer.
Didn't take mine apart to check that measurement, but I think ..030 on each side.
So my note should say, "The bearing's/thrust washer's stack will be approx. 1/32 wider than your shifter body on each side".

NOTE: I did measure the thickness of my shifter. On the bike it's difficult to be exact, but I measure it at .080".

With or without your washer, I feel certain all you have to do is use the Blue Loctite and you'll be fine..

Ride safe, Ted

When I put it back together I blue locktited it so should be good.

Once again, I am really happy with the bearing kit and how the bike shifts with it. Like everyone else says one of the best and inexpensive things you can do.

Thanks Murph!

PS: If you think my posts will be problematic or confuse things I can clear out the content.

Leo

Ever wonder if Murph sits around and contemplates.....why the heck did I get 116 orders for bearing shifters in one day?

;D  most orders I think we ever got on this in one day was 12...and I told Patty "they must be talking about it on the forum"  :D

As I like to talk politics ( apposed to pretty much all of them  :nananana:) and tend to push my products , I've pretty much quit showing up on forums to protect my image  :great:

Patty says I'm an.... never mind

appreciate the kind words and honest feedback, on all our stuff..warts included .

Murph
COG 2769

I don't think your product has any warts at all. Sorry if it came across that way. I love how it shifts now.

My shifter has an oversize ID wart! When the bearings would just fall out of one side I guess it spooked me a little. Wasn't sure how well the loctite would hold long term with that much clearance.

Thanks for the great product and service!

Leo

Mtn..

didn't come across that way at all, it was a generic statement by me about all our products .

Murph

Being winter, with too much time on my hands, I ordered the ball bearing shifter kit from Murph's. I had to wait a few days, until the outside temp raised a few points, to try it out. Have to say, I am impressed. It is surprising how a little thing like that can make your whole bike feel better. The shifts are so smooth and precise. Makes the bike feel like it's built like a Swiss watch. The kit is inexpensive, easy to install, and really does some good. What's not to like?
Got mine and put it on yesterday. Awesome difference!!