• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Murphs Tip over bars

giff57

Can anyone who's put these on tell me how you hold the nut on the back side of the top motor mount to keep it from spinning?

Top right motor mount I was able to get a box end wrench on the nut and a socket wrench on the bolt head and torque the bolt. The top left motor mount bolt usually needs shims between the frame and the motor mount.

THEN !!! I got a long socket of the correct size and a long extension to reach the nut on the left mount. (may have even had a swivel between the socket and the extension bar) Then I got my wife to hold the left side bolt while I torque the nut from the right side of the bike. A real pita to get at!!!

I hope someone else has a better idea but that's my story!!!  :-[ :-[

I got it.  Since there is a Harbor Freight nearby, I went to browse for what might work.  I found a set of crowfoot wrenches that worked perfectly for removal and for starting the nut on the new bolt.  Best $8 I ever spent.

Giff57 said:
I got it.  Since there is a Harbor Freight nearby, I went to browse for what might work.  I found a set of crowfoot wrenches that worked perfectly for removal and for starting the nut on the new bolt.  Best $8 I ever spent.
That's what I did also.
I got mine used but un-used about 10 years old, though maybe the seller sold his bike 10 years ago & the bars are older.  They are Murphs style, not Canyon Cages, but w/o a known origin.  They don't have a small diagonal gusset that I recall seeing in a picture on somebody else's bars.  My set had 3/8" bolts in it IIRC. 
A metric 10mm would be .3937" so, is this ok w/o worries, or should I get the exact fit?  I think I trimmed one for length, too.
Haven't done significant riding since they went on.  :truce: