• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My experience with the HJC CL-17 vs HJC i10

big0red4224

I am a very big guy, and I have a very big head. I'm 6'5" and I wear a 3XL helmet. HJC is just about the only brand of helmet that is big enough for my dome. I've got two CL-17s. I like them. They're a solid helmet. My only complaints about the CL-17 other than the noise, have been fixed with the i10. I just bought an i10, as I try to by a new helmet every couple of years since I ride fairly often and in some pretty high heat.

The CL-17's visor lock is on the left size of the helmet, and is basically a rocker switch. It is pretty easy to accidentally lock it and have your visor stuck closed. The i10 uses a center lock that is part of the mech to open the helmet. So the visor is always locked closed, but opening it automatically unlocks it.

My second issue with the CL-17 is the lack of a "city riding" position on the visor. The CL-17 visor only has detents at the half open or full open position. The i10 has 5 detents, with the lowest one opening about an inch and a half to allow airflow, but still keep the visor nearly closed for protection. It works very well.

My third issue with the CL-17 was the lack of space for speakers. I was able to find a space in the helmet where they fit okay, but after a several hour ride, my ears would hurt from the pressure points. The i10 has recesses for the headset that they teamed up with Sena for. I use the Packtalk Bold with the JBL speakers. I can confirm that all of it does fit. I have the bulk of the speaker wiring hidden away in the access plate they put in the back of the helmet for the Sena setup.

The airflow in the i10 feels just as good as the CL-17, and because of this, the i10 is not a quiet helmet. It may be a touch quieter than the CL-17, but there's still a fair amount of wind noise.

The visor swap system on both the i10 and CL-17 are about the same and work very well.

The D-ring chin strap on the i10 seems to be easier to operate than the one on the CL-17. I do not know why. Both of my CL-17s operate the same. Not difficult, it is just "easier" on the i10.

The bottom edge of the i10 shell is curved, where it isn't on the CL-17. This allows a little more head tilt to the side than the CL-17.

Have you tried the HJC RPHA? I have one and it's really nice. Light - combo of carbon and plastic. It is a modular though. Room for speakers, several positions for the visor. Good air flow. I've had mine for a few years. Really like it.

Just out of curiosity, what if your dome was so big that you couldn’t fit it in a helmet? Ticket every time a cop sees you riding without one?

After a solid week of riding in the helmet, I'm really happy with the i10. I like the features and it's decently comfortable. If HJCs fit your head, I'd suggest giving the i10 a try.