• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My knees are uncomfortable after about 30 miles?

Theiceman

I have to stop and walk around every 30 miles because my knees are uncomfortable?  Do other people have this problem? I think if I had the foot pegs lowered a little it might help?

Could use a bit more info like how tall you are or how you feel you fit with the bike. Also if you ever experienced this with other bikes. And maybe what other types of bikes you have ridden. Knee pain is a vast subject with different types of pain- inside the knee, outside, upper, lower; quite a few moving parts in there.

I am 5'10" . A long time ago I have owned a suzuki 250, handa 550, and handa 750. I don't  remember having this problem with any other bike.  My knee joints ache from having to keep my legs bent in one position, I think tip over bars with highway pags would allow my to extent my legs and be more comfortable.  However I am reluctant to install tip over bars,because if I dropped the bike at highway speeds  the head could be damaged beyond repair.

The ice man said:
I am 5'10" . A long time ago I have owned a suzuki 250, handa 550, and handa 750. I don't  remember having this problem with any other bike.  My knee joints ache from having to keep my legs bent in one position, I think tip over bars with highway pags would allow my to extent my legs and be more comfortable.  However I am reluctant to install tip over bars,because if I dropped the bike at highway speeds  the head could be damaged beyond repair.
If you drop the bike at highway speeds the tip over bars won’t help much, they are tip over bars not crash bars!

When I only rode my C-10 occasionally ( weekends ), my knees bothered me a lot.
Now I ride more frequently ( daily ) and they don’t bother me at all.
It just took a little time for my body to get used to the riding position.
Ride more -> less pain.

We don't know your age but you said a long time ago you had no knee problems. The motorcycle is probably not the cause of your knee discomfort.  Could it be "The Golden Years" are catching up with you.  I too thought it would take a lot longer to get old, but I guess I blinked.
The Tip Over Bars are your best bet for being able to re-position your feet and alleviate the soreness.  I hope you can find something to help as the knees can ruin a nice ride the same as an uncomfortable seat.
Check to see it Ronnie still makes pegs that can be installed without the Highway Bars.
Brent

mtnbandit said:
  We don't know your age but you said a long time ago you had no knee problems. The motorcycle is probably not the cause of your knee discomfort.  Could it be "The Golden Years" are catching up with you.  I too thought it would take a lot longer to get old, but I guess I blinked.
The Tip Over Bars are your best bet for being able to re-position your feet and alleviate the soreness.  I hope you can find something to help as the knees can ruin a nice ride the same as an uncomfortable seat.
Check to see it Ronnie still makes pegs that can be installed without the Highway Bars.
Brent

who is Ronnie? My bike is a 99 Kawasaki concours  l am 61 years old.

I'm 62, and found that the gastank on the C10 is too big, and trying to limit rest stops to fueling, just didn't work... somewheres along the 2 hour point, mid tank, id want to pull over, have a cig, and walk around... but found that letting my legs dangle, and flexing my muscles, and shifting my seating position helped for a half hour more...

Might want to investjgate these puppies...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ9M2JE/ref=asc_df_B00OZ9M2JE5202077/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00OZ9M2JE&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167136030666&hvpos=1o9&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7704408792274482176&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015276&hvtargid=pla-313093295700

Now I'm on a C14, and can cover about 250 miles before I'm in "gotta stop and stretch" mode, but I have to say those copperfits help a lot... you have to be careful tho, if you have issues retaining fluids, and get legg issues because of that, some dietary changes may be in order to assist..
Hey, we age, and can't do what we used to be able to.. hell, no big deal... just do what makes YOU comfortable... just a couple years ago I had no problems doing a 500 mile day, in an 8 hour time frame, with 2 stops enroute... today, I will double those stops, and add another hour and a half for time... no sense. Beating the dead horse for pain..  oh, and ibuprofen and aleve are my friends.. along with good hydration, and a couple bannanas for my potassium and electrolyte levels...

works4me said:
When I only rode my C-10 occasionally ( weekends ), my knees bothered me a lot.
Now I ride more frequently ( daily ) and they don’t bother me at all.
It just took a little time for my body to get used to the riding position.
Ride more -> less pain.
That's the secret.  If you ride often, the ligaments and tendons have a tendency to stretch.  When I got my right knee replaced, it took some riding to get to the point the knee quit hurting.

Chris