• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • FORUM NAME - If you are a COG member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum, you can request it to be changed. To request a name change, send an email to IT@Concours.org. Include in the email your COG member number, incorrect forum name and correct forum name. Your request will be processed in order of receipt and at volunteer speed.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

my nephew is a statistic waiting to happen

Daboo

Staff member
connie_rider said:
He sounds a bit like "me" (and many of us) when we first started to ride.
Part of the difference though was the bikes we had back then.  They did go fast enough to kill you, but you had to work at it.  Now...a 650cc sport bike will hit 130 mph and get to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds.

I had been riding for a couple years when I came across a website.  I think it was titled "Live to Ride, Ride to Die".  Or something like that.  It shook me up so much, I almost took a taxi to go home.  The pictures were pretty graphic.

Chris

Tour1

I spent a lot of time watching crash videos, some were really bad and came at the end of long periods of risky riding.
Others weren't so scary but still made me think smarter, like an RNickeyMouse series of sport bikes sliding off Mulholland Drive, and then there's this Vespa type thing going the same speed except not looking like a pro on a race bike, and he slides off the road just like the others.
There's a big difference between thinking of what can go right and thinking of what can go wrong.

m in sc

new bikes are way safer than older bikes over all. mostly because of the brakes, suspension, and just general technology. speed has-zero- to do with it. most accidents happen under 30mph. 1 in 1000 are over 86mph. my stock 50 year old yamaha will do over 90. They love to showcase speeding accidents because it makes for spectacular videos. My 2 wrecks, ever, were solo, and one was around 50mph and the other was at 45.

stats here:

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/little-known-facts-about-motorcycle-accidents-31124

I had a cousins son kind of in the same boat, years ago. he learned. ran a stop sign, hit a car, wound up in traction for like 2 mos. I felt kind of guitly because i got his taste for bikes instilled in him , took him out when he was about 8 on mine and that's all he wanted to do after that. he lived in fla, so i wasn't close enough to try to teach him. prob wouldn't have mattered anyway. hes fine now but lesson learned the hard way. this is why, at least in this state, you must wear a helmet up to a certain age, it sets the habit which is important.  However, he is an adult legally. so , its soley on him. Hopefully he will be ok.

ZXtasy

Age is not always a factor. I have seen some very responsible 18 yo kids and some dumb ass 50 year olds on bikes. Current case in point is the fact I am just starting on repairs to a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 that 1 year and a half ago I customized for one of my oldest and best friends. He had been without a bike for 5 years, really missed riding, and so his wife secretly contacted me to find one and make it a one off in my fashion for an anniversary surprise.

Several people told me it was one of my best creations, and it was solid and purdy! Was...He gets to ride it for about 3 months, getting used to it, enjoying it way more than his last 1200 Sporty or the 90 Nighthawk 750 he had for years. He is a pretty big guy so needed a bike like this. So he has to move on short notice from a rental, (I know, 57 and still renting, SMH), and his 39 year old step son comes out from CO to help them move. He had been the step dad since the kid was about 10 and they have a good relationship.

Now I still can't get a firm answer on whether the kid was endorsed, had much experience, or what. His dad said something about him riding a Harley some time back... so they need to move 3 miles away and so dad, who I kinda blame for this, throws him the key and say you take my bike...be careful it has power yadda yadda yadda. He has a nice Arai helmet...had, but no gloves, tennis shoes, no jacket. He does not even make it more than 3 blocks away on Main St. Monroe, WA and there is a nasty accident.

He says a car pulled out in front of him and he "had to crash to avoid it"...but more than one eye witness testified he was speeding and popping wheelies. He did one big wheelie for sure and then a stoppie, and the bike came over frontwards and landed on top of him. He had some good road rash on his torso, 4 broken/floating ribs, several broken fingers and toes. Had to go to Harbor-view the major trauma center in the area. Apparently they did not clean his road rash, or he did not follow up on treatment, but a few weeks later as he is recovering back home in CO his wounds get infected and he almost dies of Sepsis. He is OK now, and it has taken a year for me to get the bike back to repair.

Hopefully a little 'sticker' shock will help teach them both a lesson, I am charging for labor this time, half of what a legit shop charges but it will still add up. Hopefully the OP's nephew or others around him will not have to learn an expensive or painful lesson.

wingedspirit

See if you can get him hot for a track day.

He'll need a license +1
A bike that will pass tech +1
He'll have to wear gear
Maybe he'll realize he isn't as skilled as he thought +1
Maybe he'll learn some skills +1
Hopefully the thrill of the track (which is a safer environment than the street) will help him settle down
on the street. It worked for me.

danmcdermott@me.com

Strawboss,

I have no advice for you. Like most I have survived things in my life I should not have and others did not. Hubris of youth resides because consequence is not considered, known of or, believed in. It is difficult to watch decisions given our experience, however we have experience because we survived bad decision making. Everyone should make their own decisions, however that does not make it easy for loved ones to watch those decisions being made.

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
ZXtasy said:
Now I still can't get a firm answer on whether the kid was endorsed, had much experience, or what. His dad said something about him riding a Harley some time back... so they need to move 3 miles away and so dad, who I kinda blame for this, throws him the key and say you take my bike...be careful it has power yadda yadda yadda. He has a nice Arai helmet...had, but no gloves, tennis shoes, no jacket. He does not even make it more than 3 blocks away on Main St. Monroe, WA and there is a nasty accident.

He says a car pulled out in front of him and he "had to crash to avoid it"...but more than one eye witness testified he was speeding and popping wheelies. He did one big wheelie for sure and then a stoppie, and the bike came over frontwards and landed on top of him. He had some good road rash on his torso, 4 broken/floating ribs, several broken fingers and toes. Had to go to Harbor-view the major trauma center in the area. Apparently they did not clean his road rash, or he did not follow up on treatment, but a few weeks later as he is recovering back home in CO his wounds get infected and he almost dies of Sepsis. He is OK now, and it has taken a year for me to get the bike back to repair.

Hopefully a little 'sticker' shock will help teach them both a lesson, I am charging for labor this time, half of what a legit shop charges but it will still add up. Hopefully the OP's nephew or others around him will not have to learn an expensive or painful lesson.
I have said it many times - God got one thing wrong - he should have made stupid painful! Then idiots would get immediate notice they were doing something stupid, and we could avoid the yelling idiot coming our way!

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

Strawboss

None so far, no news is maybe good news. He has a new job selling Chevy trucks, must keep him busy, my discreet inquiries come up with nothing.

Strawboss

Talked to him last week. Still no bike endorsement, but wearing some gear. Posting videos of himself screaming by on the back wheel. He got a new job selling Chevy trucks, he's doing well, for now, he met a nice German girl who is here as a nanny, he bought a new Camaro. The bike is CBR600RR?

He told me he is selling the bike. We'll see.