• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My Rostra install

atoughram

There are quite a few threads on this subject, thank you for all of you that documented your project.  It has helped me immensely!

I'm pretty good with the wiring aspect, but the mechanical aspect is more challenging to me.  (I adjusted my own valves on bikes and have rebuilt many Chevy V8's but making brackets is not in my wheelhouse)

I started out this morning by removing all the plastic and approximating where the servo was going to live. 

Attachments

• IMG_20190605_124502.jpg
    IMG_20190605_124502.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 195
  • MVIMG_20190605_124449.jpg
    MVIMG_20190605_124449.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 186
Got some work done on the servo bracket today, it looks like it'll work ok

Attachments

• IMG_20190607_122456.jpg
    IMG_20190607_122456.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20190607_123226.jpg
    IMG_20190607_123226.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20190607_124036.jpg
    IMG_20190607_124036.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20190607_124212.jpg
    IMG_20190607_124212.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 148
Got quite a bit accomplished today.  Ran the cable under the battery box and back up the other side.  Bent the throttle end cable bracket to fit, trimmed some extra off the end, and put some vinyl tubing on it to protect the main wiring loom.  I installed the bracket on the 10mm bolt that is used to hold the wiring loom, I'll tie the wiring loom to the bracket.  I used the flag nut on the cable instead of the snap nut.  It's smaller and holds the cable quite well.  I also used four beads on the bead chain so that it would slack better when the throttle was manually being used.  I trimmed the foam rubber that goes around the overflow tank a little to keep it out of the way of the CC cable and chains. 

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_133821.jpg
    IMG_20190608_133821.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20190608_132829.jpg
    IMG_20190608_132829.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20190608_125830.jpg
    IMG_20190608_125830.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20190608_115343.jpg
    IMG_20190608_115343.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 159
I've been pretty slow to get the wiring done.  I'm about half way.  Pretty much need to collect all the grounds and the ignition wire feeds together and get them soldered together, plus wiring in the "Engaged" relay and the control switch.  My hat comes off for whoever invented Posi-Tap's, they have made tapping into these hair like wires a snap. 

I have differed from Fred's wiring diagram by using the front brake wiring instead of the rear, they are the same colors but are much closer to where the servo is mounted and I didnt have to remove the fuel tank to run wires under it.  I also tapped into the VSS wire on the sensor side of the connector as BDF suggests.  It was easier to get to the right wire without tearing the black tape off of the main loom. 

Pictures to come when I get it all finished and cleaned up. 

Last picture post...

Finished up the wiring today, completed the self diags successfully, and took it for a ride. 

It surged a bit at 50mph in OD.  At 60 it seemed OK.  I'll put a few more miles on it and make sure.

Lifted the front off the ground in two gears, the throttle seems to work as well as ever. 

When I engage the front brake with the CC off, it turns on.  Seems a little odd.  It doesnt engage or anything, it just turns on. 

Set, coast, engage, and resume all work as they should and if you push the off button, the light goes off. 

I'm using the Rostra 250-3592 switch and I used the front brake switch instead of the rear.  the CC does not turn on when you hit the rear brakes.

I'll have to look at the schematics and see if I can see a wiring mistake. 

Anyone have this issue too?

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_135540.jpg
    IMG_20190615_135540.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20190615_153343_01_01.jpg
    IMG_20190615_153343_01_01.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 156
Rode to work last night, Used the cruise all the way home, kept speed at 71mph within 1mph, even coming up a short decent grade.  Smooth as silk in OD.  Now to clean the gear indicator switch... 

I'm happy with it. 

Russ said:
Rode to work last night, Used the cruise all the way home, kept speed at 71mph within 1mph, even coming up a short decent grade.  Smooth as silk in OD.  Now to clean the gear indicator switch... 

I'm happy with it.

Way cool !

Definitely something wrong with this as the front brake circuit is the rear brake circuit as well. What you are describing should not be able to be happening. Not saying it is not happening on your bike, just that it is absolutely wrong that it behaves this way :) 

Are you using a 5 pin relay tapped into the rear brake light to trigger the Rostra?

Do you by-chance have an aftermarket tail light(s) of any kind on the bike (replacement brake light or additional brake lights anywhere on the bike)?

It is find to tap into the front brake light wiring so that is not a problem in itself but again, there is only one brake light circuit with dual inputs (front brake switch and rear brake switch) wired together so it should not be possible to have only one brake light switch do anything that the other brake light switch does not do also.

I would suggest checking again to see that you have tapped into the 'hot' wire to the brake light circuit and also that you have used the correct wire on the Rostra to sense the signal from the brake light relay. Also, it is important that any left- over wiring, and there is always a lot of left- over connections on a Rostra install on any vehicle, are NOT connected together or to ground. This has been the source of problems in the past. Instead, just tape or cap the ends of the connectors and / or wires and tie them out of the way.

Best of luck. The Rostras can be a little finicky as to what they require to trigger the various inputs; for example, the systems often (but not always!!!) not enter diagnostic mode if the clutch switch wire is connected.

Brian
Russ said:
<snip>

When I engage the front brake with the CC off, it turns on.  Seems a little odd.  It doesnt engage or anything, it just turns on. 

Set, coast, engage, and resume all work as they should and if you push the off button, the light goes off. 

I'm using the Rostra 250-3592 switch and I used the front brake switch instead of the rear.  the CC does not turn on when you hit the rear brakes.

Thanks!

I post now and then when I think it could be useful to a particular topic. Which is not too often :)

Brian

ghostrider990 said:
Dayum..... :-\

Haven't seen BDF poke his head in here for a while now.

Welcome back Brian.  :beerchug:

gr

BDF said:
Definitely something wrong with this as the front brake circuit is the rear brake circuit as well. What you are describing should not be able to be happening. Not saying it is not happening on your bike, just that it is absolutely wrong that it behaves this way :) 

Are you using a 5 pin relay tapped into the rear brake light to trigger the Rostra?

Do you by-chance have an aftermarket tail light(s) of any kind on the bike (replacement brake light or additional brake lights anywhere on the bike)?

It is find to tap into the front brake light wiring so that is not a problem in itself but again, there is only one brake light circuit with dual inputs (front brake switch and rear brake switch) wired together so it should not be possible to have only one brake light switch do anything that the other brake light switch does not do also.

I would suggest checking again to see that you have tapped into the 'hot' wire to the brake light circuit and also that you have used the correct wire on the Rostra to sense the signal from the brake light relay. Also, it is important that any left- over wiring, and there is always a lot of left- over connections on a Rostra install on any vehicle, are NOT connected together or to ground. This has been the source of problems in the past. Instead, just tape or cap the ends of the connectors and / or wires and tie them out of the way.

Best of luck. The Rostras can be a little finicky as to what they require to trigger the various inputs; for example, the systems often (but not always!!!) not enter diagnostic mode if the clutch switch wire is connected.

Brian
Russ said:
<snip>

I'll have to check this out.  It was a bit finicky on the 3700 mile trip I just took it on.  It wont turn off at all anymore.  Most of the time it "Sets" but sometimes it wont set until the bike has been power cycled.  I'll check my wiring, but could it be in the CC switch??  I may have over gooped it up inside too. 

BDF said:
Thanks!

I post now and then when I think it could be useful to a particular topic. Which is not too often :)

Brian

It's good to see you pop in here, I've always enjoyed your posts!

Russ-

RE: Wierd Rostra behavior - Suggest you double check ground connections (actuator harness ground, switch pad ground, brake circuit relay grounds (2), and engage light relay grounds). Also check the brake and engage LED relay  pins - make sure you have the right pins. Suggest Fred Harmon's Rostra schematic as reference

(I'm just finishing up a Rostra installation; 2014 C14. Had a little issue with diagnostics not being consistent; traced it down to a flaky ground connection. I used an existing 6 x 1.0mm frame screw as a grounding point, and discovered that the Kaw loctite gloop was interfering with signal ground. Cleaned the screw and hole with 6mm tap and die, and problem solved. Note that my ground point checked OK with a test light, but wouldn't allow a DVOM ohm reading to "settle" - a subtle problem)

Hope this helps...

SNIP ....

Most of the time it "Sets" but sometimes it wont set until the bike has been power cycled.  I'll check my wiring, but could it be in the CC switch??  I may have over gooped it up inside too.
[/quote]

I have the same problem sometimes with a Rostra I installed n my ST1100.  But if I turn the Rostra "off" and then back "on" , it will "Set" again.

The Rostra doesn't work as good as a factory cruise in my cars, but it's not that bad.

When I bought my C-14 , it had a CCS-100 installed.  It works about as good as the Rostra.  At least the Rostra is adjustable.  Does anyone know the location of any adjustments on the CS-100  ??  If there is a control unit, I haven't seen it anywhere, yet.

I had one install give me engage problems on and off until the Mrs. was riding trail and asked why was I riding with the brakes on. Rear brake light switch was sticking.  :-[