• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My upcoming spring to do list

cragantler

Every spring I like to do a go thru of the ole gal just to tighten things up and add a mod or 2 or 3 or …😝😝
This spring while doing a valve check/ adjustment with my Murphs valve adjustment setup, I’ll also be installing my Euro valve cover. Picked it off eBay late spring while looking for years. Mostly just something for me. Gets rid of the block off plates. Cleans up the top of the engine where no one will see😜

Kawasaki ZZR1200 fan. Increase airflow as opposed to the ‘00 style fan. Either I use the complete package or just the fan blade assembly.

Finally after many years, install my Stebel horn. Had it eons ago on my GS1100ED and looking forward to having it again. Especially due to the traffic down here.

And the final is a late Christmas gift for her.
(2) Delkevic 14” slip-on mufflers. Should reduce some weight, look good and sound awesome.

Now to wait for some warmer weather
F63577E2-799A-4079-8457-8AEE85D6516B.jpeg

Great bunch of add on parts for the ole gal. I also have some Delkevic that I have not put on yet. She will look great when done. Did you get the fan on e-bay.

Dean

I've considered the euro cover also . Even with the block off plates it's still difficult and I find I need to remove a couple of the screws on the inside plate .
That was also one of the reasons for the change. I had also dropped one of those screws once into the number one cylinder. Stupid me I had already removed the plug. Luckily I was able to retrieve it.

That was also one of the reasons for the change. I had also dropped one of those screws once into the number one cylinder. Stupid me I had already removed the plug. Luckily I was able to retrieve it.
Lucky you realized where it went and extracted, that would have been devastating…

Wayne

There are quite a few European valve covers (1000GTR) on ebay - most are in Germany and run about $100 with shipping. Most of them are very dingy but could be painted. Had I known this years ago I never would have bothered with the block off plates - which still make cover removal and replacement difficult.

I considered a Euro or a CN cover, and tried to pick up a nice looking CN one at a decent price after I had made my plates. The fella selling it was a real turd and wouldn't accept any offers from south of his border. I just said screwz it and countersunk the holes in the ones I made and used the appropriate hardware.

With over 200K miles on the bike, and stabilized adjustments still being shown in the ~40K range, I probably won't be around long enough with the need to dive in there again.

Yea
I considered a Euro or a CN cover, and tried to pick up a nice looking CN one at a decent price after I had made my plates. The fella selling it was a real turd and wouldn't accept any offers from south of his border. I just said screwz it and countersunk the holes in the ones I made and used the appropriate hardware.

With over 200K miles on the bike, and stabilized adjustments still being shown in the ~40K range, I probably won't be around long enough with the need to dive in there again.
I looked for Canadian covers but could never find the one I wanted, It was worth the wait for the Euro

Here's one from GB. pretty rough, but a possibility.

Rid safe, Ted

I'll preface this by quoting Fievel - "Never say never."

Being a sucker for farkels, this one looked like a worthwhile possibility, so decided to bite the bullet and pick it up. While it looked pretty funky, I thought the price was pretty reasonable compared to a couple of others that were OTP. I was pretty confident I could make it fairly presentable.

I've considered replacing the cam chain (and guides) due to the bike's mileage, so will probably swap out the cover at the same time. Have also made some solid dowel pins to replace the hollow ones in there now to further block off the exhaust gasses.

After bead blasting the cover, I hit it with a couple coats of high temp black paint. I'm not going to sand down the decorative ridges and other labeling to fully replicate the original silver-colored highlights, mainly since it's buried under the tank and no one is gonna see it anyway.

Original:
before-L.jpg

After clean-up and painting:
IMG_1207a-L.jpg

IMG_1210-L.jpg

Continuing on with the spring list.
Buttoned up the valve cover. Had to order the pins for the spark plug wells gaskets as the originals wouldn’t come off the prior cover. Forgot about them until I pulled off the cover to do the valve adjustments.😳
New cover goes on much easier and looks so much nicer
6646EEEB-F781-4689-8E8B-F6D4ED7D6A8A.jpeg918AE60B-CB6A-4DCE-881B-8D96FE3E92D9.jpeg

Hey Cragantler - That looks great -

"Captain Obvious" observation here - the new valve cover lacks the castings for the secondary air system takeoff. Besides just removing the plumbing for that system and maybe capping vacuum lines, are there any other tuning modifications that go along with that? I have a CA bike that also has that emissions system on top of the secondary air system. Just curious...

Thanks!

It

"Captain Obvious" observation here - the new valve cover lacks the castings for the secondary air system takeoff. Besides just removing the plumbing for that system and maybe capping vacuum lines, are there any other tuning modifications that go along with that? I have a CA bike that also has that emissions system on top of the secondary air system. Just curious...

Thanks!
It’s been years since I’ve blocked off the ports after removing the reeds and plumbing. I don’t/ can’t recall doing any tuning for it. 👍

Thanks!

I did it a couple years ago. The vast consensus from the COG forum brain trust was “remove and enjoy / No further changes necessary”
Murph used to sell a kit for doing it

Since it wasn't mentioned yet, in addition to capping off vacuum ports on carbs 1 and 4, you need to plug the hole at the front top of the airbox where the removed air system (PAIR) hose tucked into.

Last edited:
I bought black rubber plug at Ace.
Guy machined one out of aluminum.
This was the thread from when I did it.

Reactions: Bud