• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Nail in tire but pressure stabilized at 36 psi

KretonsLC

I regularly check my tire pressure while riding, and while on a nearly 400 miler today, I noticed the back tire slowly starting to lose pressure at about the 200 mile mark. I had my kit to plug the hole, but I've only used it at home when I had a compressor to air it back up, and wasn't sure the kit's CO2 cartridges would sufficiently fill it. So I decided to leave the nail in and stop for air as necessary.

As luck would have it though, I discovered the few gas stations that had air didn't have a chuck that you can get on the valve stem because of the lack of space between it and the hub.

But as luck would also have it, after about 50 miles the tire quit losing air and stabilized at 36 psi for the remaining 150 or so miles.

Any idea what would account for this? The nail is pretty much at the center of the tread with the head wedged in one of the grooves. The only theory I can come up with is at 36 psi, the tire profile flattened enough to where it provided a tighter seal around the nail, and with less pressure it was easier to maintain the tight seal, whereas the rounder profile at normal pressure kept enough of a gap around the nail for air to seep out. The tire is a Road Smart 3 with about 12.5k miles on it, so perhaps the flatter profile from all those miles helped maintain the seal, and I wouldn't have had such good luck if the tire had only 2k miles on it. I was riding between 65-80 mph most of the time, so perhaps that was a factor.

Anyone else had a similar experience, and do you have an explanation?

Last edited:
36 psi is when I get a low tire pressure warning and a red light on the dash. I carry a air chuck that i can air the tires with. I also carry the two common air hose fittings which will fit most air hoses at the gas stations. I can change the fittings with common hand tools which are easily borrowed if I don't have a metic adjustable on hand. I just should buy another chuck and carry tow of them with the fittings already installed. A small air pump would probably make better since when out in BFE.

I too have the CO2 cartridge kit with extra cartridges. I have not tried to use it and have thought I should try it at home it find it doesn't work instead of out on the side of the road miles away from the next town.

As for a nail to stop leaking while riding has not been my luck.

It was probably still leaking a little air. I've only had one tire puncture over the years that caused a flat tire on the road.

Krenton
You need to get a mini 12v compressor to bring along on your trips. Try it at home first and make sure it works.
Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get a hole plugged and those CO 2's might not cut it.
Make sure to have your bike running while running the compressor, you don't want a low battery on top of your tire problem.
Nick
2014 C-14

My guess is the changes {with the nail pushed in, head wore off, and the low pressure} allowed the nail to stop flexing every time the tire rotated and it acted as a plug.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
fyi; Once, {while riding in BFE} I had a similar problem with a small nail hole.
I bought a tube of Superglue Gel at a convenience store and pushed the end of the tube into the hole.
I then squeezed out a bit the glue/Gel as I pulled the tube end from the hole.

The leak stopped and I was able to reach a shop that had an air compressor.

My plan was to install a patch on the inside when I got home. {I prefer patches over plugs}
But I was unable to locate where the hole was, and the tire never leaked again.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: When on the road, find a tire shop and ask to use their air.
They will have a proper/angled air chuck and plenty of pressure.

Last edited:
I have had so many rear flat tires I cant even count them anymore. I've had the small $20 Slime compressors go bad on me when I needed them. I use this now. I carry several size tire plugs. Some times its a nail sometimes its a big screw or other POS. JMO.....They are cheaper on Revzilla or Amazon..
http://www.dynaplug.com/microproinflator.html

I got a Stop & Go mini-compressor, which worked pretty well after I plugged the tire at home. When riding through tiny Hill Country towns on a Sunday, relying on an open tire shop is a pipe dream.
My guess is the changes {with the nail pushed in, head wore off, and the low pressure} allowed the nail to stop flexing every time the tire rotated and it acted as a plug.

Ride safe, Ted
The nail head didn't wear off.

Update - I got a Stop & Go mini compressor and used it after plugging the tire. Worked pretty well except it was finicky unscrewing the hose and consequently I lost several psi which I just replenished with my bicycle pump. My last ride taught me I couldn't rely a tire shop to save my bacon doing Sunday rides through little Hill Country towns.

A 90 degree angled valve stem extender should be part of your tool kit. It just screws onto your valve stem & allows easy connection to gas station air chucks.

Update - I got a Stop & Go mini compressor and used it after plugging the tire. Worked pretty well except it was finicky unscrewing the hose and consequently I lost several psi which I just replenished with my bicycle pump. My last ride taught me I couldn't rely a tire shop to save my bacon doing Sunday rides through little Hill Country towns.
It seems to me that tire shops that will work on motorcycle shops take the attitude that a motorcycle tire can't be repaired. IMHO, they say it is for safety and their legal liability, but it really probably has more to with selling you a new tire. $$$

The 90 degree angled valve stems are a good idea. Make sure you aren't putting them on a rubber valve stem though. It's best to just go for a metal 90 degree valve stem and not need an extension.

Chris