• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Naked gauges

MOB (Man of Blues) sent this info to me some time ago:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
for the gages I highly suggest a set of e-bay ZX1000r Ninja gages. circa 1986-1990, they are plug and play, and also give you an active voltmeter, you do have to snip the white wire on the Conni harness side though, as it will be useless, and you will have a kickstand switch error light on all the time(on the ninja cluster) as the clock wire is going to be connecting to that.
here is the cluster

speedo works without mods, and all is good. temp and gas gauge synch correctly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks stasch, any idea how to protect the back of the gauges? Part of the appeal of the ones I listed, is they have a chrome backplate. I am trying to make it work without a fairing. Thanks.

MOB used ZX1000r gauges on his naked C10 project which ended up with a mini-fairing which covered the back of the gauge cluster.

It ended up really nice. You can see some pics here: https://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?threads/cogfather.44639/

I've not done this, but do have a C10 on the back burner that will perhaps one day be a naked project - which is why I queried MOB about the gauges he had used.

What I have in the wings is a C10 instrument cluster on a modified C10 fairing stay, to accommodate a 95 - 98 GPZ fairing. The cluster mount bracket had to be modded allow the guages to fit inside the GPZ fairing.

Here it is mocked up on a bike as a test a few years ago. Still have the fairing / gauge assembly that I plan to use at some point. I feel I need to figure out a way to fab a panel along the bottom fairing to flow along the lines of the bottom of the tank.

DSCF0002.JPG

So the original gauges I wanted to use are only available (in my price range) in KM/H. As a miles per hour kinda guy, I’m now looking at a set from a gpz900. Anyone used those ? They have a back, the same speedo connection, but not sure about the electricals.

yep, those work also, in fact. actually nicer, has partial black plastic cover...and the same wire snip mod Stash noted, and plug it in.

So clip the white wire in the bike side of the harness. Do you have the bracket design you mentioned?

Finally got the gauges. Post 94 Connie and 85 gpz gauges are not a plug and play. Any one have a diagram to mix and match? I’m prepared to clip and splice wires, but want to make sure I don’t fry stuff in the process. The 9 pin clipped together, but the tach didn’t run from it, and the dimmer switch for the headlight turned off the neutral light. That’s as far as I got before realizing this is gonna be complicated.

So I’ve been pouring through old wiring diagrams, and today will try to modify the gpz harness to plug into the Connie harness and have everything work. when successful I will post the wires that had to be changed to make an 85 GPZ900r gauge cluster work on a post 94 Concours. All the colors are the same for the same function, but the location within the 9 pin block are all wrong. So cutting and replacing the junction block is required.

Last edited:
So I’ve been pouring through old wiring diagrams, and today will try to modify the gpz harness to plug into the Connie harness and have everything work. when successful I will post the wires that had to be changed to make an 85 GPZ900r gauge cluster work on a post 94 Concours. All the colors are the same for the same function, but the location within the 9 pin block are all wrong. So cutting and replacing the junction block is required.
You should be able to release the individual connectors in the connection block so that you can avoid destroying the block. Then you can reposition the wires in the block according to your needs. Check out the link below for tips and terminals.
Cycle Terminal

I tried unsuccessfully, and just cut the block off my 95 gauge set, and soldered it onto the gpz harness. My thinking is, the bikes main harness is unchanged, and a fairing harness could be procured if someone wanted to return the bike to a full dressed connie after she leaves me.

Started fabrication for a mount for the gpz gauges. Thinking I am going to secure them via the screws into the top of the triple tree that holds the plastic key cover plate. The bracket is being made from 3/16” mild steel plate. Has anyone done this?

Hello yes I have Gpz900 gauges installed with steel brackets coming from the fork bolts.Mounting the gauges to a aluminum plate shaped to fit the gauges.I also put a little screen on to hide some wiring and protect the connections a bit.I couldn't work out how to put a photo on this post.

Thanks, I discovered that with the new website, cog has restricted forum members from posting photos. But the cog Facebook page allows pics.