• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

National and shipping bike to / from SE

bugnut

Hey all, mostly all in the SE,

Anyone planning on shipping either to or from the national this year? Looking into it, and seeing jut a couple 'reliable' shippers of bikes. Wondering if there is more interest to go either way to lower costs or up the reliability factor if there are more than one of us sending bikes.

Been looking at:
haulbikes.com - A+ on BBB, but reviews are so-so, quote a really low 575 from SC
funtransport.com - again A+ on BBB, but reviews are sketchy, quote of 964 from SC
motocycleshippers.com - also A+, better reviews and recommended by AMA and ROK, quote of just under $900

So any thoughts on shipping? Rentals are in the same ballpark, then add ons like insurance and daily use fees rack up over $1k quickly.

Thanks,
Mike

I was thinking "Fly in and a one way rental back to Atlanta." (or not) :))

Bugnut, were those prices out and back shipping? I like Ron's idea of shipping out and riding back, but not three that hell hole of a traffic nightmare  called Atlanta.  I'd go the long way thru Canada first... :)

One way on all the quotes. And that's my plan, either ride out or back, but not both. Just cant swing the amount of time to go in both directions on top of the rally week. And yeah, avoid ATL, as much of places like Kansas (sorry y'all, it's too flat and boring) and some other not really amazing places where boredom is intense or a zillion cagers are out for blood. I can handle some of that one way. But two? Eh, maybe not.

About the only thing the shipping companies give a break on is multiple bikes (being picked up at one location) or dropping off at one if their warehouse locations. But from what I can tell it's not like a couple hundred off. More like 25 or 50. But it's one more small help.

Mike

I hate to use the trailer word as I know I'll be abused, but oh well.
We're trailering up from Houston if anyone wants to join our caravan?
  {Yes, I KNOW I'm a sinner, but it works for us...}

Ride safe, Ted

Here's a plan: You bring your bike over to my house, then Ted will pick up yours and mine and we'll buy him a tank of gas when we see him in Vancouver. Then we ride back.  :motonoises:

Yea,,, that will work...
  I'll {err} arrange to get them to Vancouver for ya... <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Hey "OtP" Team; "I have great news!!"  :08:
          It appears I'll have 2 extra C-14's for the "OtP" Travelers to use this year...  :whoo:

And you'll need possession of the title for a So. Carolina bike, right?  ;)

Glad you mentioned that.
  I'll need both titles..
    err,,, Thanx for helping us make "OtP" possible again!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Hey "OtP" Team; "I have great news!!"   :08:
          It appears I'll have 2 C-14's (with Titles) to "sale" after the National.
                            {so we'll have $$ for future OtP's}    :whoo:

connie_rider said:
Glad you mentioned that.
  I'll need both titles..
    err,,, Thanx for helping us make "OtP" possible again!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Hey "OtP" Team; "I have great news!!"   :08:
          It appears I'll have 2 C-14's (with Titles) to "sale" after the National.
                            {so we'll have $$ for future OtP's}    :whoo:

BOTH titles?  I live in GA. Where do you think "Ride it like you stole it" originated?    :D

Thanks ZXtasy,

They, like others have some issues in their past. Bikes late or handled poorly. The overwhelming numbers of positive reviews are tarnished by the few but specific and graphic descriptions. And without even a BBB rating - not that that really means a hill o' beans when looking at the other shippers that do, makes me worried. Might be a vet and all, but I dug up some shady stuff on him with his prior business pretty quickly.

So, still looking. Thanks for any info y'all have. Might be trailering myself and camping most of the way. Got a bit more time to work out the logistics for this trip.

Mike

Ignore BBB and Yelp. I'd follow what your due diligence uncovered to make my decision. Here's why: https://youtu.be/LIlT6OG5-_Y

If "delivery time" reliability is a possible issue, you should plan to ride TO the National.  If the shipper delivers late to your home, you will still be there, not 3,000 miles away.

I used HAULBIKES and was very pleased with the service.
They were easily the cheapest.
  But if you want a particular delivery date that could be a problem as they seem to move the container in more than one move in my case (KY to WA State) and when it is full or economical for them.

I live in Kansas, so I feel your pain...  No offense taken. 

Once you have ridden across Kansas on the slap once you understand. 

Bugnut said:
One way on all the quotes. And that's my plan, either ride out or back, but not both. Just cant swing the amount of time to go in both directions on top of the rally week. And yeah, avoid ATL, as much of places like Kansas (sorry y'all, it's too flat and boring) and some other not really amazing places where boredom is intense or a zillion cagers are out for blood. I can handle some of that one way. But two? Eh, maybe not.

konehead said:
Almost as bad as slabbing thru Nebraska....!!!

:)) :)) :))
at least Nebraska has "some" hills, and green... much better than Kansas...

MizzouMike said:
I live in Kansas, so I feel your pain...  No offense taken. 

Once you have ridden across Kansas on the slap once you understand. 

Bugnut said:

I agree... that is the "bowel" of the USA.. it's no wonder that "wizard of Oz" was made about Kansas life.. omg.. even at night, running thru 50mph side winds, for 4 hours straight... with nothing but.. "nothing" to see.. nightmare state to ride thru..  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

On your shipping bike idea;
    Maybe you could find someone on the east coast haul the bikes that is in the club.
    ie; If 1 {retired} COGger had a 20 ft trailer, it could haul prolly 4 bikes..
        Simple mods to the trailer would be EZ to safely hold bikes.
        Then everyone chip in to pay for his expenses..

For instance, someone like me.
I can't do it, and live in Texas.. But I have a 18 ft enclosed car trailer.
Would be EZ to modify it to haul 3-4 bikes.
Maybe find someone like me, with a similar trailer....
Assume; Loaded, a truck towing the trailer would get about 10 mpg.
              5 days there and 5 days back.
              XXX number of miles..
              Lodging along the way..

Use that to guestimate an amount.
Then find a volunteer..

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks everyone.  Feeling less and less 'doable'. I just can't afford the time, and really don't want the sleepless nights hoping my bike isn't sitting on a dock, in a crate while paperwork has to be routed or stamped or notarized. Or worse, 'somewhere' in transit. I've even thought easily motor over, ship home, but drawbacks are as above. And my luck is what could happen, will.

A simple shipment from England to San Franciso years and years ago ended up in 6 months of lost furniture, household goods and clothing. Lost, as in no one knew where our entire household shipment was for 6 solid months.  Christmas that year was two dining room chairs and a tree. No bed, no clothes except ones we had in a suitcase and little to no money because of the move. And a military one on top of that. Literally 6 months of hell trying to get our belongings. So jaded on shippers and really sceptical of their promises.

Conversely, I spent a stupid amount of money to ship a car back from England personally and had zero issues other than time. And that was known up front. They said 8 months, it was 7 months and 14 days. Awesome communication, straight forward instructions on importing the car and documents that provided easy pathways through California's hellacious CARB!

So pluses and minuses and so weary of scams.

We'll see how the next couple months unfold.
Thanks again,
Mike

Wife Annie and I were talking about this years rally a couple weeks back. While she likes riding distances locally she has only ridden up to about 6-7 hours for a day and then 3-4 hrs the next day that was the extent of it for that trip. She is reluctant about a cross-country trip on the bike. Her idea is to trailer the bike, which I am kind of bummed about but considering time and comfort I might consider it. As they say happy wife happy life!
My car trailer was recently refurbished with new wheels, tires, new bearings, spring suspension pieces, a fresh coat of paint and welded on hold downs. The trailer could easily haul 4 bikes and as a Florida and east coast resident could find a few reluctant folks to come out to Vancouver by plane and pick up their bike in Vancouver or ride one way or transport bikes both ways. Might be willing to do that if there are interested parties... let me know. I have been more involved in the club in years past, but wife and I really enjoyed our time at the Run with the Wolf two Septembers ago. I have been to at least three National rally's and think the people and the bikes are a blast! Looking forward to this one since it takes place in my home state where i was born. It's a gloriously beautiful place, you will see! :great:

Rick

jetmech said:
The trailer could easily haul 4 bikes and as a Florida and east coast resident could find a few reluctant folks to come out to Vancouver by plane and pick up their bike in Vancouver or ride one way or transport bikes both ways. Might be willing to do that if there are interested parties... let me know.
I'd definitely be interested. It would be both ways. PM me or email (editor@cog-online.org) if you decide you want to move forward. 

I did come up with price on Bike Haul to Vancouver. Have one person interested at this time. If I can get two more interested in having their bikes hauled out I can do for $200 each bike one way,  or $400 round trip. Can pick folks up at the airport and have bikes ready to ride. Sound fair? PM me if interested, thanks

What is your intended route?  I'm in San Antonio and might be interested if you're passing by on the way.  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Food for thought. Would anyone be willing to loan a bike for the OTP traveler? Ride to the nat from your A/O, Surrender your bike at the Nat. Ride it back to you. Just spit balling.

I have a silver 08' that could be available to ride for a OTP rider. Was in process to sell it. How does it work to be compensated for it's use? I currently do not have insurance on it (would definitely require if used for this by other person). Could transport it with other two bikes out and or back from Florida. Would like to help, but considering liability issues and such.

If I had an interested party this may fill the third spot on the trailer going out and back from rally. I still am able to offer one or two more riders bike transport, preferably from Florida for trailering out to Vancouver. As I mentioned before can do for $200 each way per bike $400 round trip. Could pick up anywhere in Florida and drop back to Florida.

Jetmech, If you decide to offer your bike, Mark would have to work with you to develop a plan.
I just saw this and opted to post how we've handled it in the past….

OtP is something that we dreamed up and there has been a learning curve.
  {as no one does it except COG/GCE}
ie; We've tried various ways of covering the bike over the 18 years of OtP.
#1; the Traveler is responsible for any damages he does while he has the bike...
#2; As we developed OtP, most just loaned their spare bike with the insurance it had on it. {often Liability only}
#3; What seemed best was to insure the bike for full coverage during the time the traveler has the bike. {monthly billing}
        With Full Coverage, the Traveler would be responsible for the deductible if the bike is damaged.
        ie; As yours is uninsured, you would purchase full coverage and cancel it {or go to liability only} after he uses it.
              NOTE: Because your other bike is insured; Adding a second bike can be surprisingly inexpensive for that period.

NOTE: During other years, the Traveler sometimes payed the extra cost of insurance during that period, but normally the lender just considered that cost part of his OtP donation. {That can be easily worked out with you/Mark and the "OtP" Traveler}.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Jetmech, If you decide to offer your bike, Mark would have to work with you to develop a plan.
I just saw this and opted to post how we've handled it in the past….

OtP is something that we dreamed up and there has been a learning curve.
  {as no one does it except COG/GCE}
ie; We've tried various ways of covering the bike over the 18 years of OtP.
#1; the Traveler is responsible for any damages he does while he has the bike...
#2; As we developed OtP, most just loaned their spare bike with the insurance it had on it. {often Liability only}
#3; What seemed best was to insure the bike for full coverage during the time the traveler has the bike. {monthly billing}
        With Full Coverage, the Traveler would be responsible for the deductible if the bike is damaged.
        ie; As yours is uninsured, you would purchase full coverage and cancel it {or go to liability only} after he uses it.
              NOTE: Because your other bike is insured; Adding a second bike can be surprisingly inexpensive for that period.

NOTE: During other years, the Traveler sometimes payed the extra cost of insurance during that period, but normally the lender just considered that cost part of his OtP donation. {That can be easily worked out with you/Mark and the "OtP" Traveler}.

Ride safe, Ted
^^^^^ This.

Hey Ted, thanks for the info. Would be happy to talk with Mark and OTP traveler. I think we can make a good arrangement and do think the insurance cost was cheaper on the second bike (did have both insured before) Coordinating the offer and allowing for a traveler the opportunity to ride all the way across the country might be really cool for them one way or both ways. Mark can PM me and we can talk about it.

Just heard though that Travel between USA and Europe will be suspended as of Friday :??:...God bless us as we forge ahead with our plans hoping that the COVID 19 outbreak will diminish and travel can continue.

jetmech said:
I did come up with price on Bike Haul to Vancouver. Have one person interested at this time. If I can get two more interested in having their bikes hauled out I can do for $200 each bike one way,  or $400 round trip. Can pick folks up at the airport and have bikes ready to ride. Sound fair? PM me if interested, thanks

$400 round trip is a deal.

I priced it out with my truck/trailer and with fuel, meals and hotels I came up with about $3,200 round trip or $800 a bike based on four bikes.

If you have not filled all the available slots, you may want to start a new thread to get it out in front of everyone as your offer is kind of hidden in this thread.

Thanks, will make new thread should be better up top. Not sure why the most recent threads are not on top...would make better flow and conversation. Anyway, yes I just calculated the extra fuel mileage (to tow bikes) and fuel to create a reasonable price for transporting bikes. At $1200 for three bikes round trip, should cover fuel and tire chocks for each bike. I will be asking each rider to provide tie down straps. I'm covering all my other expenses.