• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

National Rally - information thread

Sorry, I'm exhausted from our move from Graham NC to Franklin NC (but now we're 4.5 hours closer to the rally location!)

Are there any ride route files?

Later we will have a page devoted to Routes.

Are there any ride route files?

I've been checking and haven't found any yet. I sent off for the www.Northalabama.org Motorcycle routes brochure (pdf HERE) and I'm
unimpressed with it. Most of the routes appear to be cruiser oriented and every motorcycle photo in the brochure was of a
cruiser. I've started making my own routes based simply on looking at Google street views. They look OK on a map, but since
it's hard to judge traffic and speed limits on Google they could really be terrible. The Google times for distance traveled are really long so I imagine that there are a lot of low speed limits and double yellow sections. The road along the upper edge of Little River Canyon looks
interesting (if it isn't choked with slow traffic)

This route is mentioned on the rally attractions page but not shown in much detail (yet).

Coming up with routes for a National can be exhausting, especially if you feel that you need to ride them all first and then keep checking with the various state hwy departments for construction closures etc. The last thing you want to hear if you're in charge of a national's routes is to have 20 or so people come in and say "the routes suck", "the roads were closed", "the road turned to gravel and there was no safe place to turn around", "OMG the traffic on that effing road was terrible".etc etc. ...so have patience even though it's hard to do. Personally I plan on spending one day at Berber and one at the tourist sites around Chattanooga, so I just need routes for two days of riding, unless it is exceedingly hot and humid in which case I might just visit the Caverns one day.

Below are a few of my feeble armchair mapping route attempts. (and to be clear, I have no connection with the 2021 National Rally team nor are these official routes nor have they been tested or ridden by me etc etc normal riding precautions apply, ride at your own risk, wear a helmet, do not ride after sunset or before sunrise, etc etc. if you have doubts about your riding skills take a MSF course, make sure your motorcycle is properly maintained as per the manufacturer's owners manual, to maintain your safety perhaps you should just stay in your room, if you see trouble ahead make a U-turn and go home. When you get there wear a mask, wash your hands while singing the Happy Birthday song, repeat, climb into bed and hide under the covers, enjoy. This disclaimer is simply a poor attempt at humor and in no way is it any kind of a political statement nor is it meant to offend, if you are offended please pretend you didn't read it and accept my apologies.)

https://goo.gl/maps/L2aAH9WU73ccFK5WA (lake Guntersville Loop)

https://goo.gl/maps/8CnjsUkGxspNSJUP8 (Tennessee Waltz)

https://goo.gl/maps/fRzCk8pnYCYDoE7Y6 (Lookout Mountain Part 1)

https://goo.gl/maps/zcTp843bWvUG496t9 (Lookout Mountain Part 2)

Last edited:
I've been checking and haven't found any yet. I sent off for the www.Northalabama.org Motorcycle routes brochure (pdf HERE) and I'm
unimpressed with it. Most of the routes appear to be cruiser oriented and every motorcycle photo in the brochure was of a
cruiser. I've started making my own routes based simply on looking at Google street views. They look OK on a map, but since
it's hard to judge traffic and speed limits on Google they could really be terrible. The Google times for distance traveled are really long so I imagine that there are a lot of low speed limits and double yellow sections. The road along the upper edge of Little River Canyon looks
interesting (if it isn't choked with slow traffic)

This route is mentioned on the rally attractions page but not shown in much detail (yet).

Coming up with routes for a National can be exhausting, especially if you feel that you need to ride them all first and then keep checking with the various state hwy departments for construction closures etc. The last thing you want to hear if you're in charge of a national's routes is to have 20 or so people come in and say "the routes suck", "the roads were closed", "the road turned to gravel and there was no safe place to turn around", "OMG the traffic on that effing road was terrible".etc etc. ...so have patience even though it's hard to do. Personally I plan on spending one day at Berber and one at the tourist sites around Chattanooga, so I just need routes for two days of riding, unless it is exceedingly hot and humid in which case I might just visit the Caverns one day.

Below are a few of my feeble armchair mapping route attempts. (and to be clear, I have no connection with the 2021 National Rally team nor are these official routes nor have they been tested or ridden by me etc etc normal riding precautions apply, ride at your own risk, wear a helmet, do not ride after sunset or before sunrise, etc etc. if you have doubts about your riding skills take a MSF course, make sure your motorcycle is properly maintained as per the manufacturer's owners manual, to maintain your safety perhaps you should just stay in your room, if you see trouble ahead make a U-turn and go home. When you get there wear a mask, wash your hands while singing the Happy Birthday song, repeat, climb into bed and hide under the covers, enjoy. This disclaimer is simply a poor attempt at humor and in no way is it any kind of a political statement nor is it meant to offend, if you are offended please pretend you didn't read it and accept my apologies.)

https://goo.gl/maps/L2aAH9WU73ccFK5WA (lake Guntersville Loop)

https://goo.gl/maps/8CnjsUkGxspNSJUP8 (Tennessee Waltz)

https://goo.gl/maps/fRzCk8pnYCYDoE7Y6 (Lookout Mountain Part 1)

https://goo.gl/maps/zcTp843bWvUG496t9 (Lookout Moutain Part 2)
Check the Rally website again 😁. Oh, and the upcoming Concourier...

For those thinking it's gonna be too hot...average monthly weather for Rally location. 🤠
Tom

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-083227.png
    Screenshot_20210428-083227.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 158
Hello COG!
My name is Tom Sills, a.k.a. Volcantour, and I have the honor of being Rallymeister for the 2021 Ridge Runner National Rally being held June 14-18 at Lake Guntersville State Park outside of Guntersville, in northeast Alabama. I and the Rally Team are quite excited about the venue for the Rally as well as the great travel destinations nearby. And, oh yes, there are roads to enjoyable get you hither and yon. As was stated in the Concourier article, It's AL Here! I highly recommend reading the article if you have not already!
This space on the forum will be updated time to time with information about the venue, the various attractions in the area, the roads, and the variety of activities available to Rally participants.
We will have the website and online registration ready to go online by January. Information about lodging options is already available through separate threads and at the current Rally website landing page on the COG site.
Look forward to having y'all come on down in June!
Tom (Volcantour)
Tom, Connecticut Yankee coming down to your Beautiful state for the RAlly. My 1st National Rally and I'm stoked! I'm looking for New England COG members riding down to the Rally to ride down with. Also, what might we expect in weather and bugs in June in Alabama?

Tom, Connecticut Yankee coming down to your Beautiful state for the RAlly. My 1st National Rally and I'm stoked! I'm looking for New England COG members riding down to the Rally to ride down with. Also, what might we expect in weather and bugs in June in Alabama?
Sorry for this late response! You are coming to north Alabama, where June temps are as shown on the attached weather history.Screenshot_20210509-014841.png

You’re also in the eastern edge of the Central time zone, so the sun comes up early. Ride while it’s cool and hit a tech session or an inside attraction later on in the afternoon.

I was going to post a chart with the exact times, but nobody will remember that...so just remember sunrise is approx 5:30AM and sunset is approx 8:00 pm. and you should be able to plan your day.

ref.

Another place to explore (just across the state line in GA) Cloudland Canyon State Park is an interesting 1.5 hour ride from rally central.

(Registration is stll open. We received LOTS of information this week about our guests coming from the Barber Museum. Yeah!!!
Excellent support of the Rally coming from Barber Museum. Check it out on the Door Prizes page!

Hey, is there anyone riding to the National Rally from the SE or SC Region? I'd like to ride along if possible. My caring and concerned wife would feel much better if I rode with a group or someone else. Thanks. Mo-#8554

REMINDER:
Poker Run: Hey, are you game for a scenic, no-fee, five (5)-stop, ~65-mile, Poker Run on Tue am., June 15; one that covers a perimeter route around a large portion of Lake Guntersville / TN River, and one where merchandise prize awards are selected by you? Hopefully, you are saying “Yes, I’m in!” This will be a fun event that allow you to leave out just after breakfast on Tue., or maybe a little later if you desire. Note, we will set-up a time for first bike out (FBO) and a time for last bike in (LBI), where the LBI will be well before lunch-time. We'll send you on your way by lunch-time.

Registration will occur in one of the COG Rally-reserved rooms at the State Park Lodge

FBO (First Bike Out) at 8:30 am on June 15
LBI (Last Bike In) at 11:15 am. Note, we plan to wrap up with scoring and prize selection before lunchtime.

Details: Unlike a typical Poker Run, where a card (e.g., Ace of Spades) is selected at each stop, here you will select three (3) poker chips of “possible” varying color. Over the course of the run, you will have selected fifteen (15). Thus, this is really a Poker (“Chip”) Run.

Another interesting twist here is, you will not know how well you are doing, when compared against others. Why? Because we won’t determine the value of each colored chip (note, there are 3 chip colors) until the end of the run; back at the state park lodge. It’s simple and hopefully it will encourage all participants to complete the entire run.

Scoring & Prize Selection: Following the last stop (stop 5), we will determine the value of each chip color (via a random draw of each color (in succession) from a chip bag that only contains the 3 colors). Once the value of each chip is determined, then run volunteers will score each card. The individual with the highest total chips value will get first dibs on a merchandize prize from the prize table, then the next highest person gets to choose their prize, etc. This will continue until we run out of prizes. In case there is a tie where two (2) or more individuals have the same total, then they will go to the prize table at the same time.

We look forward to your participation!

This is just one of many fun events we have planned for you at our upcoming rally!

For those who have requested it, and for those that have yet to, here's the tentative schedule for the Rally. Also you will now find this posted to the Rally website in a manner that allows you to set up your calendar. Two important programming notes:
  1. Times and events are subject to change!
  2. All times posted for Barber Museum events are ON-SITE. Barber Museum is approximately 1 hour 45 minutes away from the Rally Site, on a good day! Give yourself plenty of time to get there, eat, get gas, etc!! AND HAVE YOUR RALLY WRISTBAND WITH YOU IN ORDER TO GET THE STATED DISCOUNTS!!!
'Nuff said. We're all adults....

Now, for the schedule - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RhtM_aymz0FkDx2hL_G79ag-cSlSO86c1n3YX1ZlB_M/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Sharon and I will be available for downloading gear and setup also willing to man registration just let us know where and when you need us. Thanks Charles!
Hey, how about helping greet folks on Tuesday morning at the Lodge entrance?? Entails handing out bottles of water and wet rags to wipe off sweat then providing some directions....

Hey! Time is getting close and I know you are itching to hit the road to Lake Guntersville SP and Lodge. We here in the Southeast are absolutely looking forward to seeing you. It is, for sure, AL here!!
Couple of notes and items to be aware of as you prepare for the Rally, in no particular order of importance:
1. Speakers and presentations are confirmed as are the arrangements with Barber Motorsports Museum for discounts on tours and track rides. Schedule as posted on the Rally website is good to go!
2. Those taking advantage of the Barber Museum offers must BE at Barber at the stated times and WEAR the wristband provided participants to get the discount. Drive time to the Barber Museum is roughly 1 hour and 45 minutes.
3. The mask restrictions of COVID-19 are behind us (Thank Goodness!!!) but the staffing of tourism facilities like the Lodge and local attractions has yet to ramp up to pre-COVID levels. This will demand patience on our parts as the limited staff does their best to serve you. PLEASE take this into account and be conscious of this - I guarantee doing so will make for a better trip overall....
4. COG will be providing one load of firewood for the campground. Additional wood will need to be purchased on-site. We were not allowed to bring wood in from off-site. Location of the nightly gathering TBD.
5. Those at the campground will have access to coffee and snacks in the morning, courtesy of our SEAD, Ron Simmons. I suspect those staying in the lodge would be welcome, too....
6. Rally merchandise bought at the time of registration is being mailed out beginning today. Those ordering shirts, hats, etc. should be seeing stuff arrive at their location in the coming week.

Other items of interest may/will crop up in the coming week. Keep checking back with this thread as we will be posting updates as needed.

Last edited:
5. Those at the campground will have access to coffee and snacks in the morning, courtesy of our SEAD, Ron Simmons. I suspect those staying in the lodge would be welcome, too.... (Not before 7:00 am according to Mrs.ron203...) LOL

Those needing .GPX files for all routes posted in Routes page, rejoice! Thanks to an awesome Rally team, all are now posted for your access and use!

Hey, is there anyone riding to the National Rally from the SE or SC Region? I'd like to ride along if possible. My caring and concerned wife would feel much better if I rode with a group or someone else. Thanks. Mo-#8554
What day and route were yiu planning on taking, and where are u coming from?

6. Rally merchandise bought at the time of registration is being mailed out beginning today. Those ordering shirts, hats, etc. should be seeing stuff arrive at their location in the coming week.
Good to hear. I was getting ready to post about where the stuff was. I'm guessing there are plenty of folks heading out this week who would like to pack their gear for the trip. ;) (y)

On another thread there is discussion about finding dual sport rides. We are continuing to research that option. In the meantime, Rally team member David Hamil has pulled together a good listing of motorcycle route websites to which I've attached comments. Another option which I regularly enjoy is the ride to Cheaha Mountain State Park which contains the highest elevation in the State of Alabama. Use this information to explore the area around the Rally and reliance upon my footnotes is at your own risk! Enjoy!
Thank for the information! My brother N Law and I were on the fence about bringing along our GSs with the ZGs but now I am seriously considering it...

Good to hear. I was getting ready to post about where the stuff was. I'm guessing there are plenty of folks heading out this week who would like to pack their gear for the trip. ;) (y)
Stuff began arriving at my house Monday!!

Hey, y'all!
It's ALmost time to get on the road to the Ridge Runner Rally. We'll be paying special attention to this thread for the rest of the work week to catch any last minute questions.
Come Saturday, the Rally team will be on-site getting things ready for your visit.
We plan to have registration open on Sunday after lunch!
See you then!
Tom

What day and route were yiu planning on taking, and where are u coming from?

From a different thread....

I'm recently retired and I plan on going to the rally in June (my first). I'd like to ride up and back with someone or group. I live in South Louisiana and I'd be glad to meet up with someone from S TX, S or central MS, or S AL ... or of course S LA. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

It only answers one of your 3 questions though.

Mo ? ya there? times gettin'short...

Is there a list of vendors who will be at the rally?
I'm thinking about buying a communication system ( SENA / Cardo etc)

Is there a list of vendors who will be at the rally?
I'm thinking about buying a communication system ( SENA / Cardo etc)
The vendors supporting the Rally are listed on the Rally website and in another thread of this Rally information. I do not expect to see either of the communication firms you need at our event.

The vendors supporting the Rally are listed on the Rally website and in another thread of this Rally information. I do not expect to see either of the communication firms you need at our event.

Thanks Tom.
(I wasn't sure sponsors = vendors)
Best
Bob

We actually are not coming in until Tuesday afternoon. Is there somewhere I can come and sign in still?

Many of the Rally Team are assembled at Rally Central and eagerly await your arrival. Y'all, it's AL here!

Last edited:
To any of you guys who haven't been to Barber Motorsports Park or Museum: Do it, just do it, make the time.

Agree! And plan to spend the better part of a day if you're really into that kinda thing. When we went right before the Rona we spent close to 5 hrs but it wasn't nearly enough time. Simply too many displays to take in and process. I could have spent an entire week in just one section. LOL

Agree! And plan to spend the better part of a day if you're really into that kinda thing. When we went right before the Rona we spent close to 5 hrs but it wasn't nearly enough time. Simply too many displays to take in and process. I could have spent an entire week in just one section. LOL
An hour and a half on the first of four exhibit floors is not atypical...

If you’re interested in a campfire tonight, check with the boys from Kentucky in the primitive camping area. They know what to do! (thanks guys!)

To those of you that participated, thanks!
To those of you on the Rally team, you folks are Awesome!!
To those of you signed up to assist with next year's rally, may the wind be in your sails just as they've been for the Ridge Runner Rally team.
It's been a great ride! And thanks for all the support received!

Wish I had been able to join y'all. God willing, and with wifey's blessings, one of these years I'll be kickin' it with the kids in the corners and then later sittin' around the campfire telling tall tales of travels and tribulations.

Safe travels to home and hearth everybody. Bring it across the finish line safe and sound amigos.

p.s. Have someone double-check Ted's trailer tire pressure before he heads back to H-town pls. :^ )

Home safe after 2295 miles and 43 hours of two up riding. Barber museum took up 5 hours of our time. What a great place. Tennessee aquarium, Look Out Mountain and Little River Gorge and still made it back for the ice cream social. Our short day got us to 3 covered bridges and the space and rocket center in Huntsville. Watched some great sunsets, met new people, and got a dinner. Who could ask for more. I guess we can. We both got a door prize and a plaque for the longest two up riders.

Thanks to the rally team for a great event.

Jeff and Kathy DeBruyne
Gloucester, VA.

Thanks to all of the folks on the Rally team. Brought a riding buddy who is not a COGger and he was very impressed. The wives attended as well and we all had a great time. The Barber Museum and Track ride was a great experience. We all got home safely yesterday.
Look forward to seeing everyone next year in Eureka Springs.
TCARS

Home safe after 2295 miles and 43 hours of two up riding. Barber museum took up 5 hours of our time. What a great place. Tennessee aquarium, Look Out Mountain and Little River Gorge and still made it back for the ice cream social. Our short day got us to 3 covered bridges and the space and rocket center in Huntsville. Watched some great sunsets, met new people, and got a dinner. Who could ask for more. I guess we can. We both got a door prize and a plaque for the longest two up riders.

Thanks to the rally team for a great event.

Jeff and Kathy DeBruyne
Gloucester, VA.
Thanks for making the trip!

Ditto!

I'm not sure how the event organizers knew that I wanted to upgrade my radar detector safety band from an old piece of inner tube to something a little more fashionable, but regardless, they did a good job!

Glad to be of service to the cause. Safe travels!