• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

National Rally - Routes posted!

I will have the electronic versions of the maps with waypoints (red pins) on them with me on my laptop to transfer to Garmin or TomTom gps during the GPS/Ride Route assistance session- Monday 9 AM -12 noon. Would be good to download prior though just in case of technical issues.
Have not personally ridden the routes with the waypoints on them. They were built from Google Maps using Tyre To Navigate. Some adhoc navigation by a rider may be needed.

Last edited:
I will have the electronic versions of the maps with waypoints (red pins) on them with me on my laptop to transfer to Garmin or TomTom gps during the GPS/Ride Route assistance session- Monday 9 AM -12 noon. Would be good to download prior though just in case of technical issues.
Have not personally ridden the routes with the waypoints on them. They were built from Google Maps using Tyre To Navigate. Some adhoc navigation by a rider may be needed.
Add me, add me! I've ridden many, but not all, of these routes. Guess it's time to get busy and do some more riding...Oh darn!

Other adventures await those who are interested:
  • Foster Falls Recreation Area, 498 Foster Rd, Sequatchie, TN 37374
  • Cloudland Canyon State Park, 122 Cloudland Canyon Park Rd, Rising Fawn, GA 30738
  • Lookout Mountain Incline (and Lookout Mountain), 3917 St. Elmo Avenue, Chattanooga, TN 37409 (advise using Incline to access top of Lookout Mtn, Ruby Falls and Point Park as the roads on the mountain are not friendly to short legs on a Connie)
  • Red Clay State Park, 1140 Red Clay Park Rd, SW, Cleveland, TN 37311

for just a few....;)

How would one do that?...I don't see a link to those just a map photo.....or do you mean something like bother you on Sunday night instead of Monday 9-12? :unsure:

Import the gpx files to basecamp. They will show up as a track not route. Right click on the track and convert to route. I tried the one to Barber motorsports and it looks ok.

Showing attractions and lunch option locations are great to have too.
Well now you're just getting greedy. :p :D
Import the gpx files to basecamp. They will show up as a track not route. Right click on the track and convert to route. I tried the one to Barber motorsports and it looks ok.
I've already done that with all the ones that have a gpx file associated with them and they came out good, but the last 9 don't (yet?) have a gpx file associated so I was just wondering how we were supposed to ....."Would be good to download prior though" ....with those since I think his whole post was about those 9.

From what I have seen in the past any files even GPX files are fine if they have plenty of points added before and after turns and are placed well. If not placed well when you share them to any other unit or software it will recalculate the route based on the units settings. That is never a good thing. If you reverse most peoples routes it will not calculate the same either.

On some units, like the one I have. If the points are not RIGHT ON the correct side of the road and I miss it by more than 30 feet or so my unit will keep sending me back until I hit the point.

Also in my experience the turn by turn instructions if printed direct from Basecamp or anything else are useless on a moving motorcycle. Any paper routes, turn by turn have to be reworked to be easy to glance down and get your next turn. The map printouts are almost useless too. The route hides the road names and not enough info is on them to make them useful on the bike.

Ask Butch Youngblood how much of a pain in the ask doing routes that make me happy is. I had him redo the 2012 national ones several times for these issues. We got no complaints about the routes during the rally so.

The only reason I suggested someone convert to gdb was you can package all the routes up and share it with one link and most will not have to convert to route. My unit will not show tracks, only routes.

If someone does covert the gpx files to something more Basecamp like let us know.
I doubt I have done it to your exacting standards, but I created routes from the 9 given gpx files, then copied them all into the same BaseCamp list and exported the list to a gdb file named in your honor. Probably all I'm going to do with them before I leave, I guess you'll have to find your own lunch spots on your device. I have no idea if what I've done here is what you wanted but here it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kxzy0DZIohlb4acB-T6frU5_hyo17HLi/view?usp=sharing

Note, these are just the first 9 routes with the GPX files associated with them, not the routes shown with the red pins.

I doubt I have done it to your exacting standards, but I created routes from the 9 given gpx files, then copied them all into the same BaseCamp list and exported the list to a gdb file named in your honor. Probably all I'm going to do with them before I leave, I guess you'll have to find your own lunch spots on your device. I have no idea if what I've done here is what you wanted but here it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kxzy0DZIohlb4acB-T6frU5_hyo17HLi/view?usp=sharing

Note, these are just the first 9 routes with the GPX files associated with them, not the routes shown with the red pins.
Thank you for your service in doing this! Working on getting the.gpx for the remaining files...

The only reason I suggested someone convert to gdb was you can package all the routes up and share it with one link and most will not have to convert to route. My unit will not show tracks, only routes.

In my experience. both .gdb and .gpx files support "packaging" of multiple routes, waypoints, and shaping points. The difference is that .gdb is a Garmin proprietary file format, while .gpx is an open file format that is accepted by Basecamp and most other software tool and GPS devices. However, the files are based on the installed maps of the tool that created the files. Once imported into Basecamp (or other routing software), the route should be recalculated using the locally installed maps. Loading downloaded gpx files directly newer Garmin and other) GPS devices is possible, but there may be routing differences based on map version and device settings.

After my previous post I went back to the routes page and saw the last 9 routes. With only a jpeg of the map page I was unable to zoom in to be sure I would be staying on the correct roads. I hope you can go back to the original source and get gpx files. A zoomable map or even turn by turn directions might let someone else recreate them. I was going to try to do them with basecamp.

I have the gpx files for the red pin routes. I am working on getting them added to the National site. I built these from my desk using Tyre to Navigate so some in-the-saddle navigation may be required.

Last edited:
I have the gpx files for the red pin routes. I am working on getting them added to the National site. I built these from my desk using Tyre to Navigate so some in-the-saddle navigation may be required.
The GPX files should appear on the website by Monday, I'm told....

Dudes and dudettes,
All routes have now have GPX file posted! Enjoy!
Although not asked to do so, nor authorized by anybody anywhere to do so, I've entered those routes into BaseCamp and came up with this file for those that prefer it in that format. It was sort of quick and dirty and BaseCamp was convinced that a couple of roads weren't paved. After confirming that they were indeed paved by looking at the Google sat view, I used the dirt bike profile instead of the driving profile so that BaseCamp would use the roads for the respective routes. Perhaps my BaseCamp map needs updating. Someday I'll get around to that. :rolleyes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mvn367qzlsVwsR7srrIDm-nL7W_64-Q7/view?usp=sharing

of course the usual disclaimers all apply:
(and to be clear, I have no connection with the 2021 National Rally team nor are these official routes nor have they been tested or ridden by me etc etc normal riding precautions apply, ride at your own risk, wear a helmet, do not ride after sunset or before sunrise, etc etc. if you have doubts about your riding skills take a MSF course, make sure your motorcycle is properly maintained as per the manufacturer's owners manual, to maintain your safety perhaps you should just stay in your room, if you see trouble ahead make a U-turn and go home. When you get there wear a mask, wash your hands while singing the Happy Birthday song, repeat, climb into bed and hide under the covers, enjoy. This disclaimer is simply a poor attempt at humor and in no way is it any kind of a political statement nor is it meant to offend, if you are offended please pretend you didn't read it and accept my apologies.)

Thank you for doing this! FYI, I've been on roads before where use of the term 'paved' was suspect šŸ˜Ž. For the rest of you, use your best judgment when using these routes provided for your benefit. šŸ™‚

Last edited:
Thank you for doing this! FYI, I've been on roads before where use of the term 'paved' was suspect šŸ˜Ž. For the rest of you, use your best judgment when using these routes provided for your benefit. šŸ™‚
Lots of roads like that in the area. Something to consider if you decide to take an interesting detour off of the routes.

One known 'not so paved' road leads from Russell Cave/town of Orme to City of South Pittsburg, TN. FYI.

One known 'not so paved' road leads from Russell Cave/town of Orme to City of South Pittsburg, TN. FYI.
Oh, I know, I know... :) I was on my CB500X that day headed to Orme so not too bad. Anything lower and heavier would be a real handful. Also suspect is anything with "Gap" in the name.

The run up to Sewanee and Monteagle is a good one. With it routed through Scottsboro, might stop at Unclaimed Baggage.

The PI Tour#2 and National to Rome routes actually come somewhat close to my home. I'd be glad to answer any questions about that corner of the map with the caveat that I have odd taste in roads and an unsophisticated palate.

I've been sucked into so many of these roads where the pavement is good at both ends but gets gravel like in the middle. I used to think if the Google car can do it then it probably isn't gravel...but that has been proven wrong on too many occasions...I've learned to look in both directions with the Google street view and if I see dust in the air (long cloud over road, as opposed to a puff from an intersecting gravel road)..then it's gravel in places..this road has dust in several spots in the middle....but it does make me wish it was located near me to ride on my dual sport.

Stop action video from Google Street view of Orme Road (first 5 secs. are black) ---> https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gnSsWcr/0/e46d8b3d/640/i-gnSsWcr-640.mp4

Cool Marti, nice work.
Is that stop action available to us heathens somehow? That made it clear it was a passable road but I would be happier on the weestrum.

Is that stop action available to us heathens somehow?
Yes, ...IF...you go through the small hassle of acquiring a Google API Key and then have your route available in a .gpx format and then go here:

http://www.brianfolts.com/driver/

You don't actually have to have a .gpx file if you trust the site's start and end point routing. (I don't)

I also re-recorded it at a faster speed to reduce the boredom factor.

Add me, add me! I've ridden many, but not all, of these routes. Guess it's time to get busy and do some more riding...Oh darn!
I really hope to get to The Rally Monday AM. To dpwnload the routes directly, I'm coming down from Connecticut. I'll be in Chattanooga Sunday PM. I did download the GPX files from the Cog site. But I'm a Map Source user for about 12 years and Base Camp seems to be harder to use than some video games. No luck converting those GPX files into routes in Basecamp. Even after talking to Garmin. Frustrating.

Mapping and GPS routing session is set for Tuesday morning of the Rally. Am quite sure the session leader would appreciate having extra expertise attend the session to assist those attending...

I really hope to get to The Rally Monday AM. To dpwnload the routes directly, I'm coming down from Connecticut. I'll be in Chattanooga Sunday PM. I did download the GPX files from the Cog site. But I'm a Map Source user for about 12 years and Base Camp seems to be harder to use than some video games. No luck converting those GPX files into routes in Basecamp. Even after talking to Garmin. Frustrating.
What format does Basecamp use? Maybe I can use Tyre 2 Navigate to change the format. Tyre is free navigation software that I been using for about 10 years. I have no affiliation with this software. It is easy to use and intuitive.