• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NC Driver Gets 15 Months for Killing Biker in 2020 Hit-and-Run

Uncle Vern

No, that is NOT a typo: 15 MONTHS, NOT YEARS. The story in my local paper says that Justin Lindsay, currently 23, of Lumberton, NC, struck and killed Charles Mechling, 54, who was travelling in the same direction, at about 9 PM on that August evening. The victim was riding his 97 HD solo on four-lane, divided SC Highway 9 between N Myrtle Beach and Loris. Lindsay then fled the scene. No witnesses came forward.

From the other two stories about the crash, it seems the perp was apprehended fairly quickly, but there is no mention of him turning himself in. There is also no mention of his possible reasons for running or any reason why he was shown such leniency. The charge only carries a max 25 year sentence anyway, which is ridiculous. I can't conceive of an excuse for leaving someone to die after you just ran him off the road (I may be reaching there, but that's what it sounds like). The sentence was left to the judge's discretion. I guess he was pretty discreet. Oh, yes, also no comments from the victim's family about the sentence.

I called the reporter but haven't reached her. Will post more on this story if I learn more.

Other facts I have gleaned from various local news outlets: 1) The victim was a resident of nearby Little River, SC. 2) His family made a statement at sentencing, but I haven't found either it or a summary; will go downtown to the courthouse next week. 3) Police determined the bike was struck from the rear. 4) Sentence for this crime is 1-25 years. So I'm guessing only a one year mandatory minimum?

The accident happened at about 9pm. Its possible that the driver fled because he had a few drinks beforehand.
Either way, its a shame and my condolences go out to the riders' family.

I shudder to think what is going to happen when these autonomic cars are driving around.
I made a comment to my son about how things are going to change in the future. He said that they already have. His ex gf's car has all the nanny features and that many people let the car do most of the driving. The car will stop at a stop sign, if behind another car and take off after there's enough room according to the adaptive braking. Then there's the lane assist. I think Guy has it right.

I trust the tech more than I trust the A-hole behind the wheel texting! My Subaru among other nice safety features has collision avoidance braking and its VERY effective and it has acted many times when I got a little too close to the driver making a turn in front of me when I got impatient. The Doppler is really nice in the fog as well! I know the automatic braking would have saved the guy on the bike in this case, no matter how badly the driver messed things up!

Mine will not even let the car move forward if there is an obstacle in front of the car. No kidding, the car is in gear, you step on the accelerator and it does nothing but beep and the warning indicators flash until the obstacle clears, or you put it in reverse! Because, "hey dummy, there is a wall in front of you that will not yield right of way - choose another path."

Please note I did not say mine is self driving. I wouldn't do that if it did. I don't think the road quality is good enough for that just yet. If the lines on the road are not good, the cameras have nothing to follow - so until the road quality improves, I won't trust that technology. But I will never trust the other idiot behind the wheel. Nope, no way, no how - won't happen. Too many stupid people out there for that!!