• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Need Help - New Mexico Rides for 2013

redline

I would like to schedule a ride for April / may 2013 here in New Mexico and like to get some input / help from you all for some ride choices etc.
We want to have the south central guys join us instead of doing the big bend ride.

There are a lot of great rides to choose from here. We need to pick a place for the H.Q. from where we can do  200 - 300 miles rides?
Thinking of Rio Rancho or Silver City or maybe even Santa Fe / Taos.....

you can contact me at lcpcfix@gmail.com.

Also, if there are people in this area, i am in Rio Rancho, NM, to get together for rides, tech wrench session or just to hangout, let me know

Thanks

Ted

Taos may be a little high for April-May.  Lived in Eagles Nest for a while and saw 24" of fresh snow late one May. 
Taos - Eagles Nest - Red River - Questa would be a nice ride if a little short.  The Cimaron Canyon out of Eagles Nest was a real twister when we lived there in the early 70s.

Hey Ted. I live down in Roswell. Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Alamogordo, and Carrizozo all have some great stops for a nice mountain and desert loop. And north has some great rides we could put together I bet. I rode to silver City. After Alamo I didnt care for the slab riding until right at Silver. Although once there it was good. And the best ride I ever had was the 2 lane road from silver out to the Gila Cliff dwellings. Now there is some elevation changes and some hairpins!  :)) There isnt much around my area, although the ride from Capitan to Roswell is sweet. If you all want to take a loop through Roswell, I would like to try and be a part of organizing such a ride. I mean, how many places have a real by God UFO museum to check out?  And all the buses from Japan and France seem really like it. But if you want to stay North, I'll cruise up there and join you.

I was in Roswell on Monday and yesterday , Thursday. Saw a guy on a 2003 Connie  :-\

I used to ride, to alamo, ruidoso every other weekend but my favorite weekend ride has been going through the black range, or Gila Cliff Dwellings.

I am just wondering iif those rides are too short.
the one to Mule Creek and then to Reserve is my absolutely favorite ride and think puts Deals Gap to shame.

Does anyone know what it looks like out there since those big fires?

Ted

I'm up in Farmington. There are lots of good rides in NM, and I'd be up for almost any of them. I'm easy (but not cheap).

I would like to start an email list for anyone who would like to be informed when rides / events come up and anyone who would like to help with these.

If you would like to be added to that list, send me your info, email, phone etc. whatever you want to share with me.

Also let me know if you would like to help out.

If any of you have a ride to suggest , let me know, especially for next year.

Thanks

Ted

I'm in Flagstaff, Az. and usually ready to get on the road at that time of year. I'll keep this ride in mind for next spring. I've ridden southern N.M. like Silver City and that area. Hwy 78 I believe up over the hill to mule creek-great road. Mark

Old Man on a Connie said:
Heads up for the folks following this thread. Check here for the Red Rock'n Rally SW regional in Cedar City UT June 7,8,9.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,39161.0.html :great:

Just to clarify...this is your 2013 Southwest Regional Ride.

While not set in stone at this date the Saturday ride is looking like a 350+ mile ride that will include Cedar Breaks, Dixie National Forest, Bryce Canyon National Park and covering the scenic HW12.  Nick Ienatsch himself said that HW12 is second only to HW1 in Cali. 

Here's a quote from some other riders, "Hwy 12 continues over Devil's Backbone, Boulder and Lion Mountains to arrive in Torrey, UT. I won't attempt to describe it but if you've never ridden Hwy 12 from end-to-end in Utah, put it on your bucket list. This is most definitely one of the ten best motorcycle roads in America."

Love to, and need to, have some Regional Rep from New Mexico!  Come on up and join us!!

redline said:
I would like to start an email list for anyone who would like to be informed when rides / events come up and anyone who would like to help with these.

If you would like to be added to that list, send me your info, email, phone etc. whatever you want to share with me.

Ted - It's members like you who offer to host rides and activities that makes COG great. Thanks.

Based on my experience with the club I've found a private email list can become exclusive, rather than inclusive. Wouldn't using this forum provide the same benefit since these are the folks you are soliciting to be on the list.  (subscribe to a Ride section and get notified of any ride posts in that area) Use this in combination of having a SW officer (AD or AAD) send out e-notices; they have access to the complete active member/forum subscriber email list and the COGMOS system has a bulk email feature. 

Lastly... If you are not already, have you considered being an AAD?  This would allow you work within the system and with other members to get more activities rolling in your region.