• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

"Need input" How to make a BIG Rolling Rally possible?

connie_rider

Someone mentioned the possibility of doing a National Rolling Rally.
I'm another Peanut Brain that has been pondering a Rolling Rally.
  But, NOT as a National. Only as a Big Rolling Rally...
  ie; We're not discussing a National Rolling Rally ..

To start the discussion, I've kinda figured out some possible I'deers..
So, I'm Spit-balling them for discussion...

Please help with idea's of your own.
  Maybe, just maybe, we could pull something off.....  :great:

I'deers...….. {In the beginning there was an I'deer, and it was good. etc etc etc}
  Start with; Keep the plan simple... Use the KISS Principal.
      Do not do banquets etc,,,, and lets discuss a ride across/around the Texas {or mebbe the USA}?
    1} Just set up Hotels {and/or camping area's} every other night or so.. {for mebbe 20 - 50 riders}
        All would NOT ride together. Just arrive at the next Motel/camp ground at the designated date.
          At each stop the group could ride the area a bit, rest, or do repairs as needed..
    2} Mebbe one Motel Chain would be willing to give a discount if approached right.
      After this Virus, they'll be hungry for business.
    3} People could join in and then depart as the group made it's way thru the course..
      Some might go the entire ride..
    4} Trailer people {like me} could leave the Trailer somewhere and go back and get it,,,
              or beg the wife drag it as the Vulture Wagon.
    5} If the USA, Mebbe someone from each Section of COG could be responsible for arranging the lodging in their area.
        If Texas, {Yea I know, almost as big!!}  Mebbe the AAD'as from each Section of Texas could be responsible for arranging the lodging
                  in their area.
            If so, that person would primarily arrange Lodging, and suggest a few restaurant's.
              If they choose, that person could suggest various things to see, roads to ride.

6} Thoughts???  {Add detail / I-deers as we discuss}...

NOTE: This Rolling Rally idea is kinda what we do when the "OtP" Traveler makes his ride.
              We've successfully done it for 18 years, so I know it's possible..
          To get hosts to arrange sections of the OtP Trip, I've often called COGgers along the intended route and asked for their help.
                Being COGgers, many have been willing.
              They helped arrange the Motels, suggested thing's to see, or took over as lead while the "OtP" Traveler is in the area.
            Additionally; Each year, our GCE Brothers do Rolling Rally's in Europe. A few of us have attended them and their GREAT!
                I'm sure they would give us advise on how they do it.

Ok, so I've thrown out a few I-deers.
    Is it an I-deer worth discussing?

Post your thoughts on how to do it here, and let's discuss the I'deers..
              NOTE: We want to figure out how to do it, not why not to.

Ride safe, Ted

Sounds like a good idea.  Perhaps have each Region host their own Rolling Rally covering the states in their region.

Seems to me a designated meet up point, hotel/campground every 300 - 400 miles across the country would work. This would allow almost a full day of riding with plenty of time for stopping. Members could fall in at any point as it rolls across the country. This would allow you to socialize at night, meet many new people, ride alone or with a new/old friend.

Example, start in Key West & end up in Washington. Start in L.A & end up at the Cap or else where on the east coast. Many options here.

No meals, prizes or anything else just join in & ride a little or a lot. Only planning would be picking stopping points along the way.

Thanks for the input..
Doing it seems possible to me, if it's a no frills ride.

Assuming it would be best to do Motels or Camping only?
    As trying to arrange both at each stop would complicate the planning?
    Or mebbe a combination?

C'mon, there's more of you out there reading this.
      Need more input..

Ride safe, Ted

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but my preference would be camping. Mapping out both would end up like a National, you end up with 2 rallies so to speak. Not to mention, aligning hotels across the country would be easier I have to admit.

So, when ya doing this Ted?  :nananana:  :motonoises:  :nananana:  :motonoises:

just my 2 cents:
  I would think that the dates & destination points need to be finalized A.S.A.P. to allow those of us who "might" attend a chance to rearrange their summer schedules...(I'm sure some of us will have their summer vacation schedules altered if not eliminated due to work scheduling once you do return to work)  I would also think that there's a lot of participants, that will want to still adhere to the social distancing edicts, even though they might have been relaxed somewhat.
As for myself, I'd prefer to camp vs. hotel it as it's a bit easier to keep my distance( and there's some that want to distance themselves from me as well  :-\ )

Maybe I missed it but are you thinking at least a couple of nights at each spot.  I have done this for a couple of different group trips. If you plan to socialize you will need at least two nights as many will come in late or just be worn out from the days ride.

Second item. Only a small fraction of the membership look at the forum. If you want to gauge interest we need to use the Concourier and direct email.

I will certainly be willing to help with that.

LSGiant said:
... >>SNIP<<... Second item. Only a small fraction of the membership look at the forum. If you want to gauge interest we need to use the Concourier and direct email.

+1 on that, might want to make a survey/notice on social media???

At this stage, I'm primarily seeking input on how to do such a Rally.
ie; Not planning a ride. Asking input to judge feasibility more than anything.

What got this started is; Mark spit balled the idea.
  I had thought about doing a Rolling Rally on a small local event.
  His post got me interested in the concept of a Big one...
NOTE: I have done several small Rallies, and was involved in OtP for many years.
          So, I know some {but not all} of the requirements.

One big concern is; Could it be done thru COG?
    ie; Because of insurance/rules/etc, it might not be allowed?
        Would we need Judges/Monitors at each stop to assure safety guidelines are met?
          Etc ?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I can post this on COG Facebook and try to get some input there too.
      Not sure if it's ready for a Concourier introduction. (??)

My 2-Cents

Plan the stops at a good riding destination. Like suggested, make it 2 days (or nights). Find a campground near hotels if possible. Those that don't camp can arrange their own hotel reservations. Only rub on that would be the fireball impact. Not sure the logistics on getting hotellers back to hotel safely.

I would think the stops would have to be @300 miles or so apart with nice secondary road routes inbetween? Nearby slab routes for those trailering. One night stay per stop?

Maybe seperate regional rolling rally that meet between regions at the apex of boomerang flight shaped routes that would allow anyone who wants to meet up at these region connecting merge points to continue on that regions return route?

I think a nationwide rolling rally like Cliff's idea would be a lot of fun if you had time to do it and lots of our retireded members like Ted could do that. Others who are still "gainefully employed" could jump in/out as they wanted. I hope to be retireded next summer.  ;)

Not sure I'd want to ride two days from here to start in Key West and turn around ride back, but a stop over in the N.Ga/Tenn/NC/Ala areas would be fun and easy. I'd pick a place we know (like the place we do the Run With The Wolf) for camping and there are motels and cabins in the area if folks want that option. Maybe we could time it so it incorporates regional rallys already in place like folks do here with the  SE Spring rally one w/e and then on to Cliff's soiree.

Sounds promising.

I can review the documents but I do not see an issue with insurance. Should be able to do it through COG.

If you are going to put on FB make it a proposed event. That way it will not get buried in the daily babble.

ron203 said:
I think a nationwide rolling rally like Cliff's idea would be a lot of fun if you had time to do it and lots of our retireded members like Ted could do that. Others who are still "gainefully employed" could jump in/out as they wanted. I hope to be retireded next summer.  ;)

Not sure I'd want to ride two days from here to start in Key West and turn around ride back, but a stop over in the N.Ga/Tenn/NC/Ala areas would be fun and easy. I'd pick a place we know (like the place we do the Run With The Wolf) for camping and there are motels and cabins in the area if folks want that option. Maybe we could time it so it incorporates regional rallys already in place like folks do here with the  SE Spring rally one w/e and then on to Cliff's soiree.

Sounds promising.

A possible mode was sort of touched on ^. Try for campgrounds that also have cabins, just sleeping like TWoS or full blown.

I like the concept and am retired.

Specific to Key West, FLA, and southern lower elevations of the country in general, it's stinking hot and humid  when the riding in the mountains is do-able.

As was mentioned earlier the RWTW and Spider are already there, perhaps the add in of AR at that fish camp place the weekend after, they have camping and rooms. I usually camp at Land Between The Lakes in western KY on the way to the Spider. A good two night stop over place. I don't think there are cabins there, though.

The weekend before the RWTW is problematic as it is Labor Day. Camping should be easy at places with open sites but the cabin thing would likely be an issue. High Country in Ferguson NC comes to mind as lodging point. At large tent camping and some cabins. As far as I know, there is no food service. Also in the same sort of general area, but west of there is either Kickstands or Iron Horse. Both have camping and lodging.

"Input" I got input.  :bravo_2:
Yahooooo!  :1rij: :1rij: :1rij:

Keep the thoughts coming.

Brief thoughts on Input:
  NOTE: This is thoughts, not ruling anything out..
1) Has to be done using the "K.I.S.S." process... {Keep It Simple Stupid}
2) As most of you know, I'm NOT a long distance rider, so unsure where to start on designated stops.
3) Would probably have to do it as a Motel or Camping Rally.
        {doing Motels "and" camping would greatly increase Logistics}
4) Laying out roads/routes would also greatly add to Logistics', so Designated Stops only.
5) Probably 2-3 days of travel/stops with the3rd-4th stop being a 2 day stop.
6) Long riders know better than I. But 300-400 a day seems do-able.
7) Across USA probably too big for first attempt. Mebbe across TeXaS?
      Yes, I know that would limit interest as many are not near TeXaS.
8 ) Folks could join is an they please, or try the entire ride.
      Entire ride would definitely be for folks with lots of time and $$.
      Retired "and available Budget" come into play heavily on a BIG rally.
        ie; Retired and having $$ to play are not always used in the same sentence.
9) I sent a letter to a Budget Motel Chain to ask if they would support the entire ride with discount's on rooms.
      All Motels would be arranged sight unseen, unless admittance is available at each stop.
10) Never started a discussion on FB.
          Sent you a PM.
11) Tying into a few existing rallies, might work out, but again Logistics increase..
12) Would need official COG input at some stage.
13) If each division of COG would handle their area, a cross USA would be more possible.
      ie; After a base plan is determined; Logistics for each area would be done by each area.
              But, again Logistics grow.
14) ASAP is totally dependent on learning the plausibility of such an event, and what happens with the pandemic.
      My guess would be next year as; It will take awhile to learn/plan.
                                                      People have to get back to work and earn $$ before a big trip.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Ride safe, Ted

I like across the country much more than just across Texas.

As you initially said think of it like OTP with probably a very small percentage of us doing the whole thing.

Agree that it would be next year. I still think an article in the next Concourier talking about possibilities and requesting them to contact someone with
1. I would be interested in participating in part of the ride
2. I would be interested in hosting a stop.
3. I want to do the whole ride.

Here is another wild idea make whomever completes the whole ride a complimentary national registration.

Not saying no, but I've tried working with Sate/National Parks for some group trips.
Overall, it was a nightmare, and more expensive than most could afford cross country..
Occasional Resort Lodges, though might be another thought...

I'm thinking more of working with a couple of Budget Motel chains, {like; Travel Lodge/Motel 6/Super 8/Day's Inn} and ask to hold XX number of rooms in XX locations, at xx (%) discounted rates, on XXX dates, and agree that holds {to be released} by approx. 1 month before the ride.
Once announced; participants would have to call each location where they would stop, and book their own rooms under that "Hold".

As you can tell, I also like the across the USA trip.
But Across the USA will take some pretty serious planning....
Would need a "lot" of input from those that do rides like this. Cliff/Steve/others,,,

Ok, I'll do a article for the Concourier.
      Will work with Ed.
I like that "questions" be in it..

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, the deadline for the next issue is June 1.  :nananana:

I like this idea. Good brainstorming.

How about a four corners rally starting in the four corners of the counrty and all meeting up a a central designation.  Riders could join up anywhere along the 4 routes Or just meet at the rendezvous area. All could stay in the vicinity of the rendezvous area.

Maybe KOA's would be an option?  Sometimes they have cabins as well as camping and usually have good shower and restroom facilities as well as a store to pick up incidentals.

Tinsailor and others have put a social together in the SE area for several years.  The KOA in Hohenwald was a great venue.  :great:

LSGiant said:
I like across the country much more than just across Texas.

As you initially said think of it like OTP with probably a very small percentage of us doing the whole thing.

Agree that it would be next year. I still think an article in the next Concourier talking about possibilities and requesting them to contact someone with
1. I would be interested in participating in part of the ride
2. I would be interested in hosting a stop.
3. I want to do the whole ride.

Here is another wild idea make whomever completes the whole ride a complimentary national registration.

I'm with Jeff on this & I like his prize idea. I'd be up for cross country!  :motonoises:

connie_rider said:
"Input" I got input.  :bravo_2:
Yahooooo!  :1rij: :1rij: :1rij:

7)  Mebbe across TeXaS?

Ride safe, Ted

I'l stay home!  :nananana:

Ranger Jim said:
Not to rain on your parade, Gloria but the Hohenwald venue was not a KOA. :??:

It was the 1st year.

Since there is interest in camping, I agree with ZGirl & was going to suggest it. She just beat me to it. Most KOA's have have cabins, camp store, laundry & showers. Just get a KOA guide & start picking stopping points. Should it be somewhere like TX, OK or KS make it one night layover. Somewhere like GA, TN or CO make 2 or 3 nights.

:threadjack:

The Hohenwald venue started as a CAMPGROUNDS ACROSS AMERICA. IIRC.

It was a corporation that wanted to compete with KOA but more like a timeshare. You could "purchase" a camping space via CAA and travel across the country (like with a time share) or simply use your "local" campsite.  To the best of my recollection (admittedly not so good now that I'm "officially" old) the corporation extended too rapidly, demand dropped drastically with the Arab oil embargo, and they went TU.

The Hohenwald venue tried to convert to KOA but couldn't/wouldn't comply with the franchise requirements.

Ranger Jim said:
Not to rain on your parade, Gloria but the Hohenwald venue was not a KOA. :??:

It was the 1st year.

Since there is interest in camping, I agree with ZGirl & was going to suggest it. She just beat me to it. Most KOA's have have cabins, camp store, laundry & showers. Just get a KOA guide & start picking stopping points. Should it be somewhere like TX, OK or KS make it one night layover. Somewhere like GA, TN or CO make 2 or 3 nights.
[/quote]

Whew!  Thanks, Bill and I stayed there at least twice and I was thinking I may have developed a bad case of Covidiocy!

Anyways, we had a great time whatever they're callin' it!!!

Doesnt one of the nascar stars, host the rolling thunder charity ride across the USA.  Any of you famous people have a contact or two who can reach out to the rolling thunder committee for some guidance...?

Interesting thread.

I would favor regional rallies with the party starting in areas with lots of riding possibilities.

Example Colorado - 4 -5 days in one location - Breckenridge or Estes Park or similar.

Then 4-5 days in Utah. 4-5 days somewhere else.

That way people who can only get a week off can attend at least one location.

Trying to move the party every night may be more trouble that its worth.

I am recently retiretad and riding SOMEWHERE this summer and the Rockies look the best at this point.

Edited: Moved from main rally page

just a thought from a ex COG AAD :-\ :

Maybe spread it out over a period of six weeks targeting each of the 6 COG regions for an extended weekend(thurs-mon) in each region??? 
Start out EARLY summer in the southwest region rolling CCW around the country to minimize the heat factor???
IE: 1st weekend in June using Flagstaff, AZ(example) as a base
      2nd "  " SC area
      3rd "  " SE area
      4th "  " NE area
      5th "  " skipped due to July 4th wknd
      6th "  " NC area
      7th "  " NW area

additional edit;  I also agree no frills, eliminate the fluff, get back to the basics!!!!

This is a very interesting thread with many options available, not all of which will work for everybody.

My thought of the easiest ride of this sort would be for people east of the Mississippi, and/or anybody else that can travel a fer piece.

Start in N Ga. end in Maine, following the Appalachian mountains and the general route of the Appalachian trail. I can think of the first 750 miles off the top of my head, passing by 3 or 4 past national rally sites and many regional rallies. Also riding on at least 6 of the named roads and parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway if desired.

It couldn't be any simpler than that. The only organization required would be to say at which hotel to be at on which date.

Folks out west could do the same from Bakersfield up to Mt. Rainier. And the middle of the country from Santa Fe to Yellowstone. Or something like that. I would do them all if timing worked out.

Ted, I like your ideas.  I'm willing to help.  Southern Indiana has some very nice roads to ride.  There are also some very nice places to stay in the area.  If you're thinking of doing it this year, then it has to be arranged asap for it to be possible to give the members a chance to make any changes for their vacations.

Irene

"I" am NOT planning to do this..
Someone else broached the idea and I decided to start a discussion....
I am just seeking discussion, judging feasibility, and asking for input on how one might be done.
I'm answering the questions {as if I were doing it} to keep the idea's "Simple".

At this stage, we {still} don't know if a Rolling Rally is even legal in COG. {??} 
              (ie; Because of insurance/rules etc it may not be allowed)

Ride safe, Ted

Do any of the BOD members read the Forum?
I've repeatedly asked if a Rolling Rally is legal?  {per COG rules}
  Only the BOD can tell us that.

My AD/Jeff said he thought so.
  But, this idea is not worth pursuing (nor an article wrote for the Concourier} until I have an answer to that question.

Also, where has all the discussion went?
As soon as I sed I didn't plan to do it, discussion ended.

Are ya'll all afraid someone might ask you to help?    :'(
  Get off yer butts and let's see if we can make this possible.

Ride safe, Ted

Thats funny ted.... in light of all the smutz that happe ed regarding  some members/moderators regarding a certain complaint generated ......u would think they would be paying more/better attention to whats happening on any COG  related forum... :-\

Stop.  :truce:
  I am not trying to start a BOD argument.
        I'm trying to get some information/idea's..
              ie; "Need input"  How to make a BIG Rolling Rally possible?
                        Helloooooo…??  Is anybody out there?
                                              :104:

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, if you're not going to do it, who is? :nananana:

I don't see why it would NOT be legal either, it just might be a little tedious to coordinate.I suspect it would have to be constructed like a series of events that the participants could drop into or out of, all or in part, so that the rally insurance would not be particularly expensive for the "road routes" between the different locations. The insurance probably would have to be set up for each event.

In a sense, maybe the easiest format could be to set it up as a Coordinated series of Rallies, not ONE giant rally. I agree with Jeff that it's probably "legal."

But that infamous person SOMEBODY would have to be in charge of coordinating with local rally meisters to pull off the  bigger picture.

Remember that old saying, "When Everybody is charge of Something, Nobody is in fact in charge of Anything, and NOTHING generally gets done. If SOMEBODY wants this done, I don't see any reason it can't happen.  IF ANYBODY is interested, they should speak up. If NoBody's interested, then that's probably why discussion has stopped. (I'm not doing it either.) :nananana:

I like the idea of a rolling rally where you're rolling some miles and stopping in a new town every night.

Planning to stay off major highways and leaving time for photo ops and touristing, 350-400 miles a day should allow folks to stretch their legs and see something new. Make it a 7 day trip and you allow someone taking a 1-week vacation an extra day either side to get to the start/stop location. 375 average miles over 7 days gives you a 3,375-mile loop.  :motonoises:

As a sample, I can map that circle to include 7 western states (Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Idaho and Montana) and touch on some cools site, like Hwy 1/PCH, Death Valley, Zion, Bryce, Ranier, Williamette, Lassen, ...). 

If you did KOA, would be great to arrange a sag wagon to carry folks' extra camp gear and maybe some communal stuff (like a few large coolers, chairs, etc...) Rally committee might divide the driving and share a couple bikes so no one person gets stuck driving vs riding all week.

Lastly, I love the suggestion (not sure where it came from, but's a goodie) that Ted be in charge.  :great:

Does this have to be an organised rally? A long distance rally will have to allow down time for unwinding, and this varies with different people, and bike maintenance, i.e. tires. Spending time on location, I think, is also important, depending. One surely does not want to rush through pretty areas of say, Colorado, nor linger in most all of the great plains.

The rally can be very complicated with chase vehicles, feedings, and all of the other trimmings or possibly be as easy as picking a few locations and dates for people to meet up/drop out as desired. Different ways to skin this cat, for sure. An ideal location would have both camping and non-camping lodging available. Shower availability is pretty much a must have.

SantaCruzRider said:
I like the idea of a rolling rally where you're rolling some miles and stopping in a new town every night.

Planning to stay off major highways and leaving time for photo ops and touristing, 350-400 miles a day should allow folks to stretch their legs and see something new. Make it a 7 day trip and you allow someone taking a 1-week vacation an extra day either side to get to the start/stop location. 375 average miles over 7 days gives you a 3,375-mile loop.  :motonoises:

As a sample, I can map that circle to include 7 western states (Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Idaho and Montana) and touch on some cools site, like Hwy 1/PCH, Death Valley, Zion, Bryce, Ranier, Williamette, Lassen, ...). 

If you did KOA, would be great to arrange a sag wagon to carry folks' extra camp gear and maybe some communal stuff (like a few large coolers, chairs, etc...) Rally committee might divide the driving and share a couple bikes so no one person gets stuck driving vs riding all week.

Lastly, I love the suggestion (not sure where it came from, but's a goodie) that Ted be in charge.  :great:

That would be a blast- doesn’t even have to be a ton of people. Get our Southwest Boss in on this planning!

Oops, just checked my math  :-[    - 7 days at 375 average gives you a 2,625-mile loop. May have to drop Montana and most of Washington from my sample loop. Or, add two days and you're back to 3k plus miles!!!  :beerchug:

Silly {small thinking} Mortals.........….  :-[

As ya'll know, I'm from TeXaS.
  I'm also one of the guy's that have worked on "OtP" for 18 years...

So, I know what big is, and {more importantly} I know what this club can do...  :)

I sed I'm looking for idea's on how to make a [size=18pt]BIG Rolling Rally possible.[/size]
        I'm thinking of one that all of the COGdom could participate in if they choose.
          I'm thinking 2 weeks, minimum...

The day to day would be similar to what SantaCruzRider suggested.
    300-400 miles a day,
        different town every night {with occasional 2 night stays}.
              People could join in and then break away to return home as they please..

A team would only arrange motels (and possibly KOA's for the campers), and no Frills.
    No banquet, no meetings, no Ice cream Social.
        and, no routes, {just assigned stops}. 
            Everyone would ride from Town to Town with their Buddies.
                Each person would choose whatever route you want, and see whatever things you want to see..
                  Then arrive at the next town that evening for a gathering..
                      At the gatherings, all could meet for the night and visit with others.

NOW,,, take this idea and look at my map to see the BIG Rolling Rally I'm envisioning.

NOTE: The map below is just to show you my version of BIG.
            It is the proposed distance, but is Not the proposed route...

Next; {with that in mind} Give me your thoughts/idea's..

Ride safe, Ted

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Portland,+OR/Richmond,+VA/@45.5932755,-120.1415425,4z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x54950b0b7da97427:0x1c36b9e6f6d18591!2m2!1d-122.6750261!2d45.5051064!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b111095799c9ed:0xbfd83e6de2423cc5!2m2!1d-77.4360481!2d37.5407246!3e0

Ride safe, Ted

sounds kinda like a 2 week Iron Butt, but in "gentle" mode.. I like it Ted... and NO FRILLS.. (i.e., chochkies, give away's, signing release waivers, added costs other than what I want to spend, or formality.. or ... badges.. we don't need no steeeenking badges...)  just a road, and a place to sleep.. and ... associate.  and... I don't need no steeenking insurance, other than what I pay for yearly.. to RIDE..

Hell, all I need is to grease the wheel bearings on my H/F toter trailer, it's already loaded up, been that way for a couple years now.. ready to rock...  :great:

Sorry, but I'm certain that if this is a COG event, waivers will be signed...

If/when we find out for certain what is needed to make it a legal event, we can do more.  :??:
For all I know it may be totally impossible... {as a COG event}
For now, all we can do is discuss idea's...

Numero Uno;
  We need a ruling from the safety/Insurance directors to know that it is legally possible, and what hoops must be jumped thru.
                                                hint hint!!

Ride safe, Ted

SteveJ. said:
The end of this run is about 8 miles from my house. There is cold beer in the patio fridge.

I'll be there shortly.
Stave/Rasmith. What do ya'll thimk of the concept?
Would folks participate?
Maybe, folks could start from both sides of the "US of A" and migrate to the center?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Sorry; I haven't replied to all the earlier ideas that were posted.
        Anything is worth considering. Just need discussion/idea's [and a blessin' from COG}.

connie_rider said:
SteveJ. said:
The end of this run is about 8 miles from my house. There is cold beer in the patio fridge.

I'll be there shortly.
Stave/Rasmith. What do ya'll thimk of the concept?
Would folks participate?
Maybe, folks could start from both sides of the "US of A" and migrate to the center?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Sorry; I haven't replied to all the earlier ideas that were posted.
        Anything is worth considering. Just need discussion/idea's [and a blessin' from COG}.

I guess I'm not a fan of riding hotel to hotel for two weeks, but would likely join for a shorter period.

Just floating things around. Climate makes things challenging. A cross country thing might be a bit too ambitious for most folks, I think, as they would have to return home across country or cross the country to get to it. But folks could join up for maybe half of it or a couple-three days.

Maybe split it up and do west one year and east in another and possibly center in another? It's kinda tough to be in, say Colorado, and not play there a while, or spending 3-4 days crossing the great plains in the summer heat and humidity.

Something to ponder, take your concept and transfer it to Mexico...

Thanks;
I agree across the USA is too big for most.
  Idea is; As the Rally goes across, folks could join in as it passes their part of the country, see what they want to see, and go back home. The group would change continuously.

With 2 weeks of travel planning; and using the KISS principal.
    Everyone would have to make their own arrangements.
  A Team; Would determine an approximate route and towns for stops.
              Would arrange Motels, and possibly a KOA in each town.
              Would post that list of towns in advance.
                  {Campers would arrange a camping spot if they choose not to stay at the Motel}

NOTE: Motel arrangement by team = find an inexpensive Motel {and/or} KOA in each town, try to get a group discount, and post that info for folks to book their rooms.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Mexico!?!?!?  I like that. Maybe Brownsville as the entry point.. <evil grin>
        Heck I was told Texas was too far from many..
          The Cross country idea is so that it would be a reasonable distance for anyone that is interested..

Again; I'm just throwing out a scenario to make something like this possible.
                ie; Gotta keep it simple...
                If someone wants to volunteer and do a bells and whistles rally, I'll help in ay way I can.

Something I always thought would be cool is doing a Flat Stanley from Coast to coast. Stanley starts with a rider from one coast then gets handed off to other riders in various locations. While Stanley rides with the "Host Rider" he gets his picture taken at Stateline signs, points of interest, campfire chats, etc. until Stanley reaches the final destination.

Rasmith said:
Something I always thought would be cool is doing a Flat Stanley from Coast to coast. Stanley starts with a rider from one coast then gets handed off to other riders in various locations. While Stanley rides with the "Host Rider" he gets his picture taken at Stateline signs, points of interest, campfire chats, etc. until Stanley reaches the final destination.

Sounds like "Judy," <--click from OTP, doesn't it Ted?

connie_rider said:
I've decided to withdraw my suggestion and will not pursuer it further.

Ride safe, Ted

Interesting idea, though. Have fun in the heat over there. We gained a cold front here, 56 this morning. Patio door open enjoying the weather at noon in May in Florida, bonus!

connie_rider said:
I've decided to withdraw my suggestion and will not pursuer it further.Ride safe, Ted

Thnx for the effort Ted !    :clap:  It IS appreciated !!!

I think this mfg'd virus has everybody off of their game; ie: not sure of what kind of 'normal' we'll be returning to, not to mention the lost wages...  Sadly, nothing to what we were doing / enjoying a mere 3 months ago... :73:

Just when I finally read this thread, Ted aka "Sam" ;D, decides to call it quits!  Are ya tired old feller?  :nananana:;D

Hi Ted, this was a good idea and thanks for starting this thread on trying to get inputs. Would of been a hoot.
Stay safe and healthy,
Bob
(The exhaust cans still sound good, gotta get to lookin at the inards pretty soon to whats left of the packing though and re-paint the black pipes!!!)

Hi Dean/Bud/Bob/etc.
My hopes were; a Rolling Rally would be something the COGdom could plan for in the future. {after the Virus scare}
My thought was; Most Members would have a chance to join in for a time, if it went Coast to Coast.

Due to difficulties I've had doing past Rallies, I decided to get approval and guidance from the COG Leadership prior to doing any real planning.  So I posted this discussion and sent a note.
My plan was {after I got the guidance} to write an article for the Concourier.
    "Who would participate in a Coast to Coast Rolling Rally".

Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in getting the information I needed.  :truce:

Ride safe, Ted

PS; I removed, and then went back to the set of the Cobra Muffler's on my C-10.
          Love the sound..

Well Ted, no one can accuse you of thinking too small. You do realize that putting this into the context of OtP, riding coast to coast US is kind of like riding from Lisbon, Portugal to Moscow --- that's a lot of territory!  :motonoises:

I like a bunch of the ideas you started with, especially the KISS concept. Focus on naming the nightly stops, new stop every night with daily riding of 300-400 miles; motel or KOA with nearby restaurants but let people eat where/when they want; etc...

Maybe you could test it by going smaller and do a few regionals first.  Just as an example, here's a rolling California trip I've been mulling: 5-night trip that has 2-3 nights hotels and the other 2-3 at KOAs that have both tent sites and cabins. Trip mostly on secondary roads.

Day 1: Meet up at Lake Isabella at the foot of the Sierra. From here we ride north up the eastern Sierra for 300 miles to Coleville - options for some side trips, including the dirt road to Bodie Ghost Town, a quick peek into Death Valley.

Day 2: Ride north to Lake Tahoe, around the west side of the lake and then straight up the spine of the Sierra through Plumas and Lassen National Forests. Lots of nice mountain roads here. Daily mileage will be 276-300ish.

Day 3: BIG CURVE DAY -- west to Crescent City via 299, with a detour north on 96 to Davis Road and then out on 199. These are secondary roads and no scouting will be done -- 294 miles later and we'll be on the Pacific Coast at Crescent CIty KOA.

Day 4: South on Hwy 1, but with a detour onto a piece of Hwy 36 and onto Alderpoint Road for a GPS satellite test through the hills to eventually rejoin Hwy 1 near Mendocino -- KOA will come up at about 280 miles.

Day 5: Highway 1 and a bit of Hwy 101 south to Santa Cruz. Options here for some detours through Mendo wine and brew country. Across the Golden Gate Bridge, then back onto the coast. Overnight at Santa Cruz motel or KOA.

Day 6: Get the hell off my lawn! Go home already!!! Ride south on Hwy 1 through Big Sur, Cambria and beautiful beach towns. Back to LA or close the loop at Lake Isabella.

Just some fodder for anyone thinking about a small rolling loop.

That was a furthering of the idea, and I like yours..
Regionals could have been done, and the group's could have joined the RR briefly as it moved across.

No one was expected to do the entire ride.
    Just join in as it passed thru..

I've helped do 17 OtP's.
In most of them, the route we selected for the Traveler was equivalent to riding across the USA.
Think of your trip. How many miles did you ride?

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, that's not untrue. I think we did more than 2,000 miles. But it was a wonderful Family-Circus-Billy route that turned back on itself uncounted times.

The Euro GTR group seems to do these rolling rallies. I wonder if they have some suggestions?

well my friend, valiant effort, and much Kudo's for trying, I have to say. :great: :great: :beerchug:

I just have to say it's sad, you got no formal response; you have worked long and hard, many many times.

ride safe bro.
we love ya.

Just because Ted does not want to do it does not mean it has to die. I posted on the very first page that I would help as I am sure any of the other ADS would also. I also posted on the first page that I do not see any issue with insurance with what has been discussed so far. 
I also mentioned way back that we should put the idea in the Concourier as a small fraction of the membership looks at the forum. Since Ted has bowed out I will pen that article and see what we get for a response.
If you already think you would like to help send me an email or give me a call.

SantaCruzRider said:
Yeah, that's not untrue. I think we did more than 2,000 miles. But it was a wonderful Family-Circus-Billy route that turned back on itself uncounted times.

The Euro GTR group seems to do these rolling rallies. I wonder if they have some suggestions?

Lake Isabella and beyond is good with me and there’s a great place near a brewery to get rooms or go a little further north and camp right along the river. Let’s roll !!

LSGiant said:
-snip-
I also mentioned way back that we should put the idea in the Concourier as a small fraction of the membership looks at the forum. -snip-

A valid observation, one I've ventured to point out many times. Less than 3% of the paid COG members are actively involved in this forum, or other electronic venues. Yet, many ideas, thoughts, opinions of COG overall start and flame up into redonkulous proportions with that less than 3% or die right here.  A sad state of affairs IMHO....... :(

I hope a written blurb in the Concourier will re generate the idea. Then maybe local/regional rally meisters can gen up face to face conversations at their events/gatherings.

I agree. Jeff helped with idea's. Was a great help.
I just needed higher authority {to buy in/offer idea's of pitfalls} as prior attempts to do rally's have proved to be frustrating.
I wish you Good luck.

Ride safe, Ted

SantaCruzRider said:
...Snippage

Day 1: Meet up at Lake Isabella at the foot of the Sierra. From here we ride north up the eastern Sierra for 300 miles to Coleville - options for some side trips, including the dirt road to Bodie Ghost Town, a quick peek into Death Valley.

Day 2: Ride north to Lake Tahoe, around the west side of the lake and then straight up the spine of the Sierra through Plumas and Lassen National Forests. Lots of nice mountain roads here. Daily mileage will be 276-300ish.

Day 3: BIG CURVE DAY -- west to Crescent City via 299, with a detour north on 96 to Davis Road and then out on 199. These are secondary roads and no scouting will be done -- 294 miles later and we'll be on the Pacific Coast at Crescent CIty KOA.

Day 4: South on Hwy 1, but with a detour onto a piece of Hwy 36 and onto Alderpoint Road for a GPS satellite test through the hills to eventually rejoin Hwy 1 near Mendocino -- KOA will come up at about 280 miles.

Day 5: Highway 1 and a bit of Hwy 101 south to Santa Cruz. Options here for some detours through Mendo wine and brew country. Across the Golden Gate Bridge, then back onto the coast. Overnight at Santa Cruz motel or KOA.

Day 6: Get the hell off my lawn! Go home already!!! Ride south on Hwy 1 through Big Sur, Cambria and beautiful beach towns. Back to LA or close the loop at Lake Isabella.

Just some fodder for anyone thinking about a small rolling loop.
Thanks for the inspirations. Placed in my "Saved" folder for future use. I have done some of that routing, c'est manifique.

LSGiant said:
Just because Ted does not want to do it does not mean it has to die. I posted on the very first page that I would help as I am sure any of the other ADS would also. I also posted on the first page that I do not see any issue with insurance with what has been discussed so far. 
I also mentioned way back that we should put the idea in the Concourier as a small fraction of the membership looks at the forum. Since Ted has bowed out I will pen that article and see what we get for a response.
If you already think you would like to help send me an email or give me a call.

Yeah, we can get some help brought to bear down here in the SE.

Rolling Rally would be awesome! I vote for ye olde rte 66 between Flagstaff and Tulsa. We would just need to avoid downtown Albequerque due to rioting. I won't go to any of these: Portland, Albequerque LA, Seattle, Chicago, Detroit.

I vote for a rolling rally and the schedule be published with the stops. Then anyone who wishes to attend can book their own room/tent site!

I still like the idea of a Rolling Rally.  I'm willing to help.  If there's something that I can do that can get things going on getting it organized, I can help.  Ted has enough on his plate that others can come up to the plate. 

Irene

ron203 said:
Have we ever had a "Funsized Rally Meister?" Just asking.... ;D

Funny.  But here's an idea of how this can be organized.

1.  Have someone be the person be the Rally Meister
2.  Have two or three people from each region organize getting the lodging arrangements and information on the best riding routes.
    Get that information to the Rally Meister
3.  The Rally Meister and the region people would have online meetings to make sure all the "t's" are crossed and all the "i's" dotted.  Send all that information to the BOD to make sure that this is possible to do and if they have any suggestions.

Those are just my ideas.

Irene

I see that LSGiant posted a note about this in the Concourier. In his article, he asked for people to reply to him if their interested.
He also asked for volunteers to help with the planning. So, I've already sent him a note and offered to help.
I still think a Rolling Rally is a possibility, but it need's a lot of support for it to happen.
Please post thoughts and remarks here and lets see if we can make this possible.
ie; He needs idea's....

Ride safe, Ted

Funny. But here's an idea of how this can be organized.

1. Have someone be the person be the Rally Meister
2. Have two or three people from each region organize getting the lodging arrangements and information on the best riding routes.
Get that information to the Rally Meister
3. The Rally Meister and the region people would have online meetings to make sure all the "t's" are crossed and all the "i's" dotted. Send all that information to the BOD to make sure that this is possible to do and if they have any suggestions.

Those are just my ideas.

Irene

Like I said..........................

Trying to get this discussion going again.
{Before "funsize" volunteers},,, There is 1 big question that "must" be answered.

Could it be done thru COG?
ie; What do we need to arrange (to meet the insurance requirements)?

Does anyone have an answer to this question?

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
{Before "funsize" volunteers},,, There is 1 big question that "must" be answered.

Ride safe, Ted
I do not see an issue with insurance I have participated in other multi l Iocation events insured by the AMA. I will contact once we can tell them what we are doing.

If we need monitors it is just one other item to take care of. Not a reason to not have the event.
I have been contacted by a few people willing to volunteer.

If we need monitors it is just one other item to take care of. Not a reason to not have the event.
I have been contacted by a few people willing to volunteer.

If their required? I agree. Not a problem.
Just one of the things that need to be included in the planning.

Ride safe, Ted

Ride safe, Ted
As I recall you emailed the officers asking these questions and a link was provided to you that with a little research would answer your questions.

In case you lost the email, here is
"

Ted - I suggest reviewing the AMA Recreational Riding Rulebook. The answers you seem will be in there. Here is the link...
https://americanmotorcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2019Recreational_Riding_Rulebook.pdf "

Wow, that's not very helpful.
So you want a general member to make a determination on conduction of this suggested event? There needs to be guidance from the leadership, not go figure it out for yourself.
That link does not specifically reference a roving rally so I would believe the Insurance Communication Officer who communicates directly with AMA on COG's behalf would be best to research/provide the answer to such a question in the best interest of COG and it's members.
Oh wait, the Insurance Communication Officer is vacant.
Who's next in line/fulfilling the Insurance Communication Officers duties?

Wow, that's not very helpful.
So you want a general member to make a determination on conduction of this suggested event? There needs to be guidance from the leadership, not go figure it out for yourself.
That link does not specifically reference a roving rally so I would believe the Insurance Communication Officer who communicates directly with AMA on COG's behalf would be best to research/provide the answer to such a question in the best interest of COG and it's members.
Oh wait, the Insurance Communication Officer is vacant.
Who's next in line/fulfilling the Insurance Communication Officers duties?
If you are hosting an event or thinking about hosting an event, you should research the COG & insurance requirements and not just rely on someone else. That is what I do when I host an event, and I would hope every member that hosts an event does the same.

Since a COG Rolling Rally has not be held for about 20 years, I doubt any current officer has the answers without having to go to that link and research it.

Concerning the vacant Insurance Officer position, you seem to have forgotten that COG Officers are volunteers, so if no one volunteers, then the position remains vacant until someone does. Right now I believe our Treasurer is handling the obtaining of insurance for our events, and with her other COG duties and her real job, I really doubt she has the time to research information for a rally that may or may not happen.

All; I expressed my opinion previously about being told to look it up myself, so let's leave it at that.

After receiving the Link, "I" reviewed the "AMA" Book and "I" feel that it is allowed by the "AMA"..
Additionally Jeff {1 of the BOD members} has said that he feels it can be done.
Unfortunately, (in the past) idea's {that I thought were allowed} were not acceptable to the "COG" BOD.

So, what I'm requesting is a "COG" BOD Buy-in to the idea.
I request that the BOD discuss the Rolling Rally "idea" (at a board meeting}.
After that meeting, let me/us know if they (the COG BOD) feel that the idea is acceptable, and can/should be pursued?
{I'll talk with Jeff (my AD) and see if he will present the idea at a BOD meeting}.

Moving on;
I wouldn't have started this discussion if I didn't think a Rolling Rally could be done.
This discussion was started by me asking for input/idea's on How to make a Big Rolling Rally possible.
Jeff posted an article in the Concourier asking the same...
Luckily; Others like the idea, and have expressed an interest to help.
So, now We're trying to see what others think and is there sufficient interest.

I know we have a great club with great people.
I also know that we need those people to work together to make things happen.
Sooooooooooooooo,, "lets discuss idea's"..

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
If you are hosting an event or thinking about hosting an event, you should research the COG & insurance requirements and not just rely on someone else.
Ok, research completed. As previously stated, the link provided does not address a roving/moving road rally.
AMA will direct inquiries concerning event sanctioning/conduction back the the ICO of the organization hosting the event.
Ball is back to the COG leadership.
How would this event be conducted correctly?
That is what I do when I host an event, and I would hope every member that hosts an event does the same.

Since a COG Rolling Rally has not be held for about 20 years, I doubt any current officer has the answers without having to go to that link and research it.
Minimal relevancy as mandates, rules and guidelines at AMA have probably evolved in 20 years, so legacy knowledge in the group is most likely outdated.

Concerning the vacant Insurance Officer position, you seem to have forgotten that COG Officers are volunteers, so if no one volunteers, then the position remains vacant until someone does. Right now I believe our Treasurer is handling the obtaining of insurance for our events, and with her other COG duties and her real job, I really doubt she has the time to research information for a rally that may or may not happen.
You seem to have forgotten that I have been a member for 20+ years. I have not forgotten "that COG Officers are volunteers".

All; I expressed my opinion previously about being told to look it up myself, so let's leave it at that.

After receiving the Link, "I" reviewed the "AMA" Book and "I" feel that it is allowed by the "AMA"..
Additionally Jeff {1 of the BOD members} has said that he feels it can be done.
Unfortunately, (in the past) idea's {that I thought were allowed} were not acceptable to the "COG" BOD.

So, what I'm requesting is a "COG" BOD Buy-in to the idea.
I request that the BOD discuss the Rolling Rally "idea" (at a board meeting}.
After that meeting, let me/us know if they (the COG BOD) feel that the idea is acceptable, and can/should be pursued?
{I'll talk with Jeff (my AD) and see if he will present the idea at a BOD meeting}.

Moving on;
I wouldn't have started this discussion if I didn't think a Rolling Rally could be done.
This discussion was started by me asking for input/idea's on How to make a Big Rolling Rally possible.
Jeff posted an article in the Concourier asking the same...
Luckily; Others like the idea, and have expressed an interest to help.
So, now We're trying to see what others think and is there sufficient interest.

I know we have a great club with great people.
I also know that we need those people to work together to make things happen.
Sooooooooooooooo,, "lets discuss idea's"..

Ride safe, Ted
Ah Ted,
Good, valid points. My apologies for going down that other rabbit hole and the ensuing digression; sometimes things get needlessly tainted and I respond accordingly.

I'll try to assist with my purely biased opinion; I would plan on each 'stop' be an AMA Road Rally event and man it accordingly. The appropriate AMA signage, advertising, registration sign in would have to be accomplished at each 'stop' (now an event?). Conduct the event on site for xx days, then on to the next 'stop' (new event?).
Cost would have to factored in as technically each event would have to be insured/sanctioned as stand alone?, even though we would be conducting the event(s) cumulatively.
Build it and they will participate. :cool:

Ok, research completed. As previously stated, the link provided does not address a roving/moving road rally.
AMA will direct inquiries concerning event sanctioning/conduction back the the ICO of the organization hosting the event.
Ball is back to the COG leadership.
How would this event be conducted correctly?
I have spoken AMA as an event host to ask some specific questions about my event. They did not have an issue with me contacting them or responding even though I was not the ICO.
Minimal relevancy as mandates, rules and guidelines at AMA have probably evolved in 20 years, so legacy knowledge in the group is most likely outdated.
I have no idea what point you are trying to make, but of course things have changed over the last 20 years. My point is, I do not believe there is any current COG Officer who would have any experience in hosting a Rolling Rally so someone would need to do the research.
You seem to have forgotten that I have been a member for 20+ years. I have not forgotten "that COG Officers are volunteers".
Then as a 20+ year member, why even bring up the issue? You see that the position is vacant and know that it is staffed by a volunteer. You would also know that other officers will have to take time from their COG duties to get events sanctioned and insured. Basically you were asking a question that you knew most of the answers to with you being a 20+year member, in addition to being an ex COG Board Member.

I will happy to contact and verify with the AMA. Once we get a little definition as to what we are doing. I really don't see a problem. They recently sactioned multi day, multiple location rallies for a different club I am part of. Let's get a plan together so I can tell them what we are going to do. The AMAs goal is to promote motorcycle events not stop them.

I am thinking of either starting or ending at the National rally and then heading toward or coming from the places I have had volunteers step forward this would be west coast as folks have volunteered out there.

So let's discuss that....

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to do/say this. But try to follow my idea and see if it fits with your idea.

With current technology; I know that people can have a system keep track of were they are, and send that information to a recipient.
With that in mind, I think we could ask that everyone coming to the National use a common tracking system and send that information to the same recipient.
{Once put onto a map, all those trails would resemble a Spider Web that end's at 1 point}

If we have a specified meeting points the trails would converge on the sites and then head to the National itself..
{Once put onto a map, all those trails would resemble a Spider Web that converge on the points, and then become bold lines that end at 1 point.}

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry not really. I am thinking of participants traveling say 500 miles from the national rally stay 1 or 2 days. Then meet 1000 miles from the national rally stay 1 or 2 days. Continue this format until we get to the final spot. Or start away from and before the national rally and meet there using the same format.

As for ideas, trying to keep it simple, pick three spots as rallying HQ's, 1 Eastern, 1 Central and 1 Western US with one of those the final stop as the National.
Attendees make it to those spots on their own, share adventures for 2-3 days then go back home or continue to the next stop.
Things for the stops:
-In place volunteer to coordinate/manage onsite registration, ect.
-Hotel and camping accommodations
-Local riding guidance
-Local entertainment venues
-Meet and Greet event

YMMV

Vic agree completely. Question is do we coordinate the dates with the National rally or not.

My original idea was; a wandering Coast to Coast ride, with lodging arranged at relatively short intervals {say 300-400 miles}.
No frills; no dinners/prizes/classes, etc, etc, etc..
As the ride migrated across, folks could join in (and stay with the group), or (stay a few days and head back home)..
The main purpose was a way to allow folks to ride together and get to know one another...

Trying to blend my idea with your thoughts;
It will;
Allow folks to ride together and get to know one another {even if their "not" going to the National}.
Be a fun way for folks {that "are" going to the National} to make the trip.

What if;
Rides were started from several points.
,,, Each ride would migrate towards the National.
Arrange lodging at 300-400 mile intervals. {Minimal frills}
Arrange 1 Rally Central on each {With the frills Vic mentioned}
As the ride migrates across, folks could join in (and stay with the group), or (stay a few days and head back home)..
Schedule the rides so that they all arrive at the National the day before it starts.

Others: "please" join in the discussion with your idea's!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
My original idea was; a wandering Coast to Coast ride, with lodging arranged at relatively short intervals {say 300-400 miles}.
As the ride migrated across, folks could join in (and stay with the group), or (stay a few days and head back home)..
The main purpose was a way to allow folks to ride together and get to know one another...

It will;
Allow folks to ride together and get to know one another {even if their "not" going to the National}.

What if;
As the ride migrates across, folks could join in (and stay with the group), or (stay a few days and head back home)..
Schedule the rides so that they all arrive at the National the day before it starts.

Ride safe, Ted
Hmmm, with that aspect we would just have a bunch of Social 'rides' across the country terminating at the National. And for clarification, are we talking of making this happen for 2021 National?

This is a general discussion about the Rolling Rally idea.
,,,It is not a plan for next years National. {but, it could be a possibility}

The concept has changed quite a bit since I originally posted it.
That is fine!
I was just trying to combine the idea's to keep the discussion going.
ie; {Your 3 routes, stops with and without farkles, and a National as an objective}.

We need others to join in!

Ride safe, Ted

Could make stops at vendor locations for good PR, thanking them for the National vendor goodies/prizes.
On my bucket list is to visit RiderWearhouse and other locations. 93.gif

Ted said:

It will;

What if;

Ride safe, Ted

Since Ted said "please".....;)

I love Ted's Idea of a coast to coast to coast rolling rally, but perhaps that should be a goal and not the first one? Perhaps it's too big of a bite? No, I'm not trying to poo on the idea, it's just that I'd hate for the idea to go bad because the first time it was tried it had too many problems. I'm thinking a shorter rally that only travels between two COG areas would be best maybe three COG areas at most. See what lessons can be learned from that first, and then move on to the coast to coast rally?

Also we might consider having the rolling rally start after the National where the riders are already at a central location. It would be something to look forward to after the National. Many make the decision to even go to a National rally based on the ride getting to it. For instance let's pick a past National, Williamsport PA......Would the Rolling rally headed for that start in California? Oregon? and then head east through Kansas? If I have to ride through Kansas I guess I'd rather do it with the idea of meeting COG friends at the end of the day, but it doesn't really appeal to me that much even then. I think the best idea for a rolling rally would be north to south or vice versa. Between Georgia and Vermont, or Southern California to Idaho, or Texas Hill country through Arkansas to the ABC roads of SW Wisconsin/La Crosse. Perhaps a list of recommended hotels and suggested restaurants and times to meet along the way (Covid restrictions dependant of course). It needs to be clear that the ride is a suggested route and each are free to find their own way to the meeting points (restaurants, hotels) along the way and that (for the newbies) this is not a rolling thunder rally with a group of 80 Kawasaki's headed down the interstate 5 miles an hour under the speed limit, but rather individuals and small groups meeting at set locations each evening along a multiday ride. There could be a group dinner with each paying their own check at the end (Covid permiting). I'm kinda thinking we could go with an idea similar to The SMCA's very successful Three Flag Classic, only without the costs, the restrictive check in times, passports, etc. Just friends and new potential friends going on a multiday ride.
No I'm not going to chair an event, but I'll assist if I can.

Earlier Fred mentioned that a rolling rally has not been done in 20 years, so I was pokin' around the new site when I noticed in the history section of the National that the year 2000 appears to be sort of (OK, it's a little different) a rolling National rally. I sure would love to hear more about that rally either from our historian or perhaps from some that were able to attend all three venues. Was there a Concourier Article about it that I can read? Might be useful ideas there, why reinvent the wheel when we can just polish it up a bit and add some air to it. Probably won't answer insurance questions but still I would like to know more about it if the info or opinions of it might still be around even if the memories are a little dusty.

2000 Continental Drift Parts 1,2,&3 July 8-10 Utah July 13-16 Arkansas July 19-22 Virginia