• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Need Rostro cruise help

kzz1king

Finally got to try my bike out after valve adjust and a bunch of other maintenance. I think I have the cable hooked up properly. Haven't pulled any plastic yet.

Control panel lights up and turns on according to the center light. I never installed it so not sure what's what. I am thinking I may have unhooked whatever picks up the rpms? Is there anyway to see if the servo is engaging without pulling the plastic on that side? I just downloaded the troubleshooting ,/diagnostic document. Need to print and study. It's something simple and something I did . Thanks

+1 :) Watching)

Did you use the posi-taps that came with the unit or splice direct and wrap? I have seen repeated that the post-taps were not fully tapping the wires, leading to challenges as you are describing.

I have a Rostra new in package unsure if I’m mounting before this season really gets going, post the season or not at all..

The Rostra control unit is heavy! After shedding a bunch of weight off the machine I’m not thrilled about putting POUNDS back on, throttle lock is ounces…

So…. I’m watching to see how much of a pain it is for you to get this figured out.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

This was on the bike when I bought it. 80k on the cruise. I had 2 c10s that I installed the audiovox cruise on . I am pretty hooked on cruiser now. Will see what happens.

Kzz, ur probably going to have to pull the tuperware off and trace back all the wiring. The tach pick up was down on the left side (kick stand side) . I had no issues with my positaps.

The hardest part about installing a rostra was determining where to mount the servo, and fabrication of the throttle connection. The servo doesnt weigh nearly as much as i remember. Once u determine where ur mounting it u can then figure out where to run the wires to and begin shortening them.

Kzz, ur probably going to have to pull the tuperware off and trace back all the wiring. The tach pick up was down on the left side (kick stand side) . I had no issues with my positaps.

The hardest part about installing a rostra was determining where to mount the servo, and fabrication of the throttle connection. The servo doesnt weigh nearly as much as i remember. Once u determine where ur mounting it u can then figure out where to run the wires to and begin shortening them.
I am afraid you are right. I will definitely test ride before they go back on . The PO mounted this one up in the right side. The directions I found it was mounted on the left down by the radiator fan.

+1 :) Watching)

Did you use the posi-taps that came with the unit or splice direct and wrap? I have seen repeated that the post-taps were not fully tapping the wires, leading to challenges as you are describing.

I have a Rostra new in package unsure if I’m mounting before this season really gets going, post the season or not at all..

The Rostra control unit is heavy! After shedding a bunch of weight off the machine I’m not thrilled about putting POUNDS back on, throttle lock is ounces…

So…. I’m watching to see how much of a pain it is for you to get this figured out.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
The weight of the control unit is like saying I'm not going to eat that large Burrito for lunch becouse I don't want to add the weight to my bike !. If adding 2 or 3 pounds to the bike is a big deal then install a lithium battery to make up for it. The Rostra cruise control is by far the BEST thing I ever added to my bike and I have added EVERY farkle you can think of plus some I have even custom made.

Theres plenty of threads about installing here on the forum, most with pictures and Murphs kits has a video installation listed on his website. Youtube has several as well. Good hunting and i concur SOOOO much better than a throttle lock!!

I will most likely install - just shocked by the size, weight and lack thereof plug ‘n’ play

Guess a trade-off for non drive by wire.

@kzz1king let us know what you find out.

I will most likely install - just shocked by the size, weight and lack thereof plug ‘n’ play

Guess a trade-off for non drive by wire.

@kzz1king let us know what you find out.
Good news/uncertain news
Got the plastic off and looked at wire connections. All looked good. I tried it out on the center stand . It started revving high so hit the kill and took it out on the road . Cruise works. Took it through the steps. Shut it off and tried again and it works still. It was cold with no windshield or grip warmers.

I don't know for sure why but I suspect it was possibly operater error and the rain cover. I just don't know. I had tried it once without gloves but the cover was on. Time will tell.

Attachments

• PXL_20220410_202249911.jpg
    PXL_20220410_202249911.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 134
  • PXL_20220410_202419078.jpg
    PXL_20220410_202419078.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 132
  • PXL_20220410_202345345.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220410_202345345.MP.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 129
  • PXL_20220410_202230923.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220410_202230923.MP.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 131
Ive had a similar reaction on mine as well. Where it shows its on but wont engage and engage light doesnt activate. Ive discovered my control pad needs a firm push on the pad. So mine is a contact issue...

Ive had a similar reaction on mine as well. Where it shows its on but wont engage and engage light doesnt activate. Ive discovered my control pad needs a firm push on the pad. So mine is a contact issue...
On one of my C10s I had to replace the keypad. Audiovox unit.

Welp, here I go again😵‍💫. I went over a fairly rough railroad crossing and it knocked the cruise out. This happened once earlier this spring but restarted the cruise and all was good. Not this time. Light is on so i have power. Time to start pulling plastic and chasing wires.

Ive got several touch pads in stock but not listed on the site, they are water resistance to I think its P69 specs. Im not sure but I dont think these have the engage light...believe a customer told me once he wired his where the back light would come on when the unit was engaged.
If yer interested drop me a text to 270 322 8097...Im going to be taking a little break monday/tuesday (6-5&6th) and will not be in the office.

Ive got several touch pads in stock but not listed on the site, they are water resistance to I think its P69 specs. Im not sure but I dont think these have the engage light...believe a customer told me once he wired his where the back light would come on when the unit was engaged.
If yer interested drop me a text to 270 322 8097...Im going to be taking a little break monday/tuesday (6-5&6th) and will not be in the office.
Thanks Murph. I am thinking its just a bad connection. Will know more tomorrow.