• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Need yalls help with this one

Murph

From a customer:

Hello,

I am very happy with my past orders from Murph's. I have outfitted my Concours with multiple parts including a water pump, knee saver pegs, grips, and other parts from Murph's. In September of 2021, I ordered the front brake caliper rebuild kits for a 1999 Concours (one for each caliper). Due to work, the winter, and really didn't need to do it, I just got around to rebuilding the front calipers. During installation of the large piston dust seals, I noticed that the seal doesn't fit properly. The large piston cannot be seated into the cylinder without dislodging the seal. This happened on both calipers. Upon noticing this, I took the caliper with seal and piston to my usual motorcycle mechanic. He verified that the seals are not the correct size. If they could have gotten the piston to seat, movement would have pulled the seal out of its perch and pulled it into the cylinder, possibly locking my brakes. I have attached pictures of the ill fitting seals demonstrating that when they are installed, you can actually see that they don't seat and can be pulled to one side in such a way that you can see the cylinder on the outside edge. My mechanic has ordered me OEM seals. The order # is . The OEM seals are $12.00 each, with tax making a total of $25.44 ($12.72 each). Would it be possible to receive a refund for $25.44 to counter for the fact that I had to order other parts? I have your receipts via email. If you have any questions, you may contact me either by this email or at.

What say ye?

I responded with I'd wish he had contacted me first about replacing parts...which I would have done even though this order was shipped months ago. As we have sold hundreds of these without issue , the fact he had 2 that didnt work is interesting . I take pride in our customer service, but this one is stretching it a bit. I certainly don't see me buying parts from another dealer..

Anyway.....I've always valued input from neutral parties....

...and the fact my shipping label program, and Fedex tracking is jacked up this morning doesnt have me in the best frame of mine to deal with folks right now ;)

Murph

I recently asked to return some expensive items to 2 different vendors. Both items are new in box. They both said, sorry 30-day return policy. I accepted that and moved on. Both are small companies. The time frame takes out all the discussion.

I see there are 2 different front kits - one for '86 to '93 and one for '94 to '06. I'm not sure what the exact difference is between the kits, but maybe he ordered the wrong ones (on him) or was sent the wrong ones (on you). Would probably need to get the parts back to determine what happened.

I see there are 2 different front kits - one for '86 to '93 and one for '94 to '06. I'm not sure what the exact difference is between the kits, but maybe he ordered the wrong ones (on him) or was sent the wrong ones (on you). Would probably need to get the parts back to determine what happened.
Very good point...id wanna know how yhe oops occured...

I recently asked to return some expensive items to 2 different vendors. Both items are new in box. They both said, sorry 30-day return policy. I accepted that and moved on. Both are small companies. The time frame takes out all the discussion.
I'm in the same situation with moog lower control arms I got from rock auto. The twist to my problem is that moog has a mistake in the application info. I was stockpiling parts for my mechanic so he would have them when he needed them. By the time we figured out what happened, I was screwed. Still have them. They're listed in the classified section here.
Going back to my Western Auto days, if you go by the book, you can lose a customer and they can possibly run off future customers. With the internet it can go worldwide. I'd explain that if they would have reached out, then you'd have corrected the problem. I'd offer a store credit for $20 and see how that flies.

Could it be the wrong part? Possible. Anything is possible. One thing for sure is if the seal is that much to big for the bore, it would never unseat and cause the catastrophe he suggested.

Customers should always go back to the original vendor and give them the opportunity to research and fix a problem. That doesn't always happen. As previously mentioned, it could be right part / wrong year. And some customers choose to badmouth the company when they never even made an effort to give the company a chance to address the issue. Folks who read that on the internet will never know the back story. It is what it is.

To me, a customers approach has alot to do with my response. If you send me an email accusing me of ripping you off and not doing the work I stated - that's just not going to work out for you. In this case, the customer is being respectful and polite. That helps.

So Murph, If you feel generous, you could offer him a store credit for the value of the rebuild kits. Not a bad way to go, and it shows you're willing to work with him, despite not being contacted first.

Steve

Murph, we know that you bend over backwards to offer customer service.
If you have records of the shipment: See what was ordered, and what was shipped. (There was a mistake made somewhere)
If not;;;

I agree with Steve. (Please don't tell him I sed that) šŸ˜µ
The man seems to be saying, I know I made a mistake by not contacting you sooner, can you help me out.
So, he isn't demanding anything, just asking.
The other side of the coin is, it's been 9 or 10 months since they were shipped.
You don't have to do anything.

All; A '86 to '93 has 1 larger piston/seal. A '94 to '06 has 2 smaller pistons/seals.
So it sounds like he has an 86-93 kit.
It also sounds like he tried to use one seal kit? Hopefully the other isn't damaged.

I think I'd meet him halfway. Ask him to send you the undamaged kit and (assuming it's ok) offer him a store credit for the other.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Correct parts were sent. All but the dust seals worked fine. We have shipped hundreds of these and I've never been contacted before about this issue, and for one customer to have 2 bad units?

But ya right.. Its only $20, I'm going to call him tomorrow and discuss it ,In Person as it were....today wasn't the day to do that.

Murph

PS....if he convinces me Ill send him.the.money 9 months from now...šŸ˜‹