• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Angel GT II “A” Spec

CRocker

Wow!  Just saw the new Pirelli Angel GT II...and, since some guys have been waiting for the Michelin Road 5 GT...which won’t be released until later in the year...I thought this might be an alternative...and it comes in an “A” Spec, too, and, in both a 50 and a 55 series rear...available in February...

Just took a look at it on the Dennis Kirk site, and my initial reaction was Europe must not have much grooved pavement-a front tire with a straight line tread tends to follow grooved pavement in my experience.

My second reaction was sticker shock-$500 for a set, REALLY?

$525.00 for 2  motorcycle is just plain ridiculous. I want buy them, this has nothing to do with how deep ones pockets are. It's to much money for a set of tires.

Funny how just the other day I was saying in the Michelin thread, that Pirelli hasn't released a newer version of the Angel GT in several years.

I will most certainly try this version, but it won't be until the price comes down to reasonable price levels.  :truce:

The current Angels haven't been cheap to begin with.....literally one of THE most expensive tire sets out there, even compared to the PR4's.

I DO LOVE me some Spec A's though!  :great:

gr

connie_rider said:
Looking at the straight groove that are now added to both front and rear,, I won't touch them.

Ride safe, Ted
Good point.  On a previous bike, I had tires that had straight grooves in the front and rear tires.  Those grooves caught the ridges in the freeway concrete where it had been ground down when resurfaced.  They also caught the grating in bridge decks.  In both cases, the feeling was just like having a totally flat tire.  The front would abruptly catch the ridge and follow it.  Then the rear would abruptly catch and follow the ridge, knocking the front tire off the ridge it had been following.  The problem was the grooves in the tires didn't match; they were offset from each other.  So the bike didn't track straight, but kept alternating from the front to the rear and back to the front following the ridges in the road.  In the case of metal bridge decks, the effect was downright scary.  Actually, it was pretty unsettling whether concrete grooves or bridge decks.  Twice, I pulled off the freeway to check my tires thinking I had a flat. 

The feel was so bad that after about 1000 miles, I changed the tires out, even though they would've lasted about 14,000 miles otherwise.

Chris

Might be a good time to pick up the current Angel GT's if they discount the price to make way for the newer tire.

just visually seeing those tires makes me ask way anyone would spend that much money, for such a sorry looking tire setup as those for use on a C14...
a sport bike maybe, but not a BigBerthaButt C14, carrying 2 people, in the rain...

nope. not this guy.... :-\

MAN OF BLUES said:
just visually seeing those tires makes me ask way anyone would spend that much money, for such a sorry looking tire setup as those for use on a C14...
a sport bike maybe, but not a BigBerthaButt C14, carrying 2 people, in the rain...

Why do you think those would favor a Sportbike vs. the Connie??
I don't see the logic.

ghostrider990 said:
MAN OF BLUES said:

I don't see the logic.
When I read this, I thought of a moment on ID-14 on the way to Elk City from Kamiah while at the Bun Cooler 2018.  Several of us were tooling along at a modest rate when a C14 went blasting by like we were standing still...followed by several other C14s and C10s.  Those C14s were riding like they were more "sport" than "touring".  :D

Chris

ghostrider990 said:
MAN OF BLUES said:

I don't see the logic.

visually.... the lack of sipeing and water venting pretty much every touring tire has...
I have ridden extreme amounts and miles in torrential rain, both 2 up and solo, and those simply do not show me "any semblance" of being a superior wet rainy road tire.

but;
I also read, and the description actually calls it SPORT...

Front Tire Specifications
Tire Classification Sport
Units Each
Weight 0.00 lbs
Rear Tire Specifications
Tire Classification Sport
Units Each
Weight 0.00 lbs

it's just my opinion, we all have them, and for a tire that you cannot get "yet", it's all moot.
When they are available, and people buy them and run them, and tell us the mileage and confidence level on wet rainy roads, and how long that confidence lasts(miles) before swapping again, I just stick to tires with much deeper water grooves, and proven performance (that I have experienced). If I get 6k out of a pair of tires, that I paid < $350 for,(if I buy PR4's) I won't be switching soon. I'm still running PR3's, what can I say.

PR4's? $350
dkpfp544515_70f8cb44c3c8927336ae035180f460fa395fc4ef.jpg

PR3's... @ $310...
I like them still...
dkpfp543967_bd4a16f437de3aba9226d97837b57b6a28691c91.jpg

even PR2's... if stored well... @ $270....
dkpfp543358_de4423093e933ba0bc556895e01a1d815338561f.jpg

or a new never seen or ridden tire... for $525 (and why when there are 2 choices, for each exact same tire size, front and rear, they differ in price, but not differ in the spec sheet... whasssuuuuup wit dat'???)

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

ride safe.

BadgerApaches said:
https://www.motosport.com/pirelli-angel-gt-tire-combo?variant[PIR0003]=PIR0003-X001-Y005&variant[PIR0004]=PIR0004-X001-Y007

$360 for the A spec combo "deal". Find the rebate coupons and buy 2 or 3 sets.

Rebate Coupons???  :eek:

Every site I look on has the Angel Spec A's at or more than regular pricing.  Cart them in A-spec format, and you see the cost increase.  $350 with free shipping no tax IS the going rate.
Get them for less, and you scored.

And for the record, I always get the 190/55/17ZR SpecA rear, which is a bit more expensive than the 180 or 190/50 rear that some guys run.

Wait for the annual Pirelli Corporate rebate in the spring, and you got yourself an extra $50 off that price.....so $300 is a GOOD price for a set of these fantastic skins.

gr

ghostrider990 said:
BadgerApaches said:
https://www.motosport.com/pirelli-angel-gt-tire-combo?variant[PIR0003]=PIR0003-X001-Y005&variant[PIR0004]=PIR0004-X001-Y007

$360 for the A spec combo "deal". Find the rebate coupons and buy 2 or 3 sets.

Rebate Coupons???  :eek:

Every site I look on has the Angel Spec A's at or more than regular pricing.  Cart them in A-spec format, and you see the cost increase.  $350 with free shipping no tax IS the going rate.
Get them for less, and you scored.

And for the record, I always get the 190/55/17ZR SpecA rear, which is a bit more expensive than the 180 or 190/50 rear that some guys run.

Wait for the annual Pirelli Corporate rebate in the spring, and you got yourself an extra $50 off that price.....so $300 is a GOOD price for a set of these fantastic skins.

gr

Interesting. Thanks for the insights.

The Road 5s have been available...but, not the Road 5 GT (for heavier bikes)...there has been a delay in the release of the Road 5 GT...they should show up by the end of this year...

Just Cliff said:
$525.00 for 2  motorcycle is just plain ridiculous. I want buy them, this has nothing to do with how deep ones pockets are. It's to much money for a set of tires.
The good side is you can now get a set of Angel STs for $210. Seems like just yesterday these were the hot ticket.

lather said:
Just Cliff said:
The good side is you can now get a set of Angel STs for $210. Seems like just yesterday these were the hot ticket.

Don't buy STs.  Those were crap.

Egodriver71 said:
lather said:
Just Cliff said:

Thanks for the comment, but I have used a few STs in the past and found them better in most respects than Michelin Pilot Roads and will be mounting more soon and saving money.  :)

lather said:
Thanks for the comment, but I have used a few STs in the past and found them better in most respects than Michelin Pilot Roads and will be mounting more soon and saving money.  :)

I agree. I thought the STs were better than the PR4 when I tried them on my ZRX. Would not hesitate to use them again.

UPDATE: I had to double check my records. I did not put STs on the ZRX, just the regular GT non A Spec. They were still better than the RP4s.

lather said:
Egodriver71 said:
lather said:
Just Cliff said:

That may be true.

But the GT is SOOOOO much better than the ST, I wouldn't ever look to the ST again.

I just bought a set up here in Canada. I paid $153 for the front and $200 for the rear. I loved the original Angel GT, and didn't figure the updated ones would be a step back. Unfortunately I will have to wait until spring to find out.

Throttle 8 said:
I just bought a set up here in Canada. I paid $153 for the front and $200 for the rear. I loved the original Angel GT, and didn't figure the updated ones would be a step back. Unfortunately I will have to wait until spring to find out.

Pretty good price...can you tell us where you got them?

As I wait patiently for the annual Pirelli Tire sale, I looked up LAST year's rebate:

Began April 1st 2018.  Hoping they follow suit for 2019.

If by that time, I don't see a similar sale, i'm going to be carting a set of the older Angel GT Spec A's.

No telling if they'll include the newer Angel's in the sale.

gr