• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New C10 owner in Georgia

Merle Lowe

New guy from NW GA here... Recently bought a really clean 1995 Concours. Looks more like a well kept 4-5 year old bike than the 25 it is. Bought from the second owner. Only non-stock pieces are the windshield, a Givi top case and a Russell Day Long seat.

Passed the rod test so had Steve fit the overflow tubes in the float bowls. Will finish up the carbs and the valve adjustment this week.

Looking forward to having something more slab friendly than my CB500X or Sportster. Put about 1200 miles on it so far, no complaints other than I'm pondering Heli Bars. My friend had a 2006 which I rode a few times so I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into regarding the weight and vibration. My goal was something inexpensive, well supported, durable and relaxed at interstate speeds.

Much better for the roads I ride than the 1200 Venture I had. Was looking hard at various cruisers, but I think the determining factor was cornering clearance. Mountain roads, surprise decreasing-radius turns and low floorboards can make for "moments".

Btw... Was just on a test ride trying out a new back tire on my XL and spoke with someone with a 2012 C14 (guessing 2012 as it was Candy Arabian Red). So if you were on Brushy Mountain Rd today and talked to someone on a Yellow Sportster, say hello!

Welcome sir! The C-10 is a great bike. We just had a wet RTE in Alabama, but the C-10 is one of the best all weather bikes in the world. I hope to have another one sort of over in NW GA in a few weeks, so watch the forum and event calendar. Your local Ass't Area Director is Tom Sills who lives in Rome. He always has a Februrary RTE in NE AL, so watch for that. The National Rally is at Lake Guntersville, AL in June next year. Come on! I live in Gainesville, GA, so maybe I'll see you sometime.

Again, welcome!

Ron Simmons
SE Area Director

Thanks Ron,

I did have a chance a few weeks ago to test the heavy rain coverage of the fairing. Just some drops coming down my visor and a little bit on the legs. Will see how it works in the cold soon too.

I missed the recent RTE due to previous commitments but looking forward to Guntersville in June.

I rode a C10 for over 16 years. IMO it offers the absolute best weather protection of any bike (including my Honda Goldwing GL1800).

Before going to bar risers, remember this is a "sport-tourer" and the seating position is considerably different than you'd find on your Sportster or the CB500X (both of which are more upright). You should have a slight forward lean, supporting yourself, not on your wrists, but with your core muscles.

Welcome to COG, and congrats on the new-to-you C-10, I'm not too far from you; I live in the Huntsville, AL area. Likely we'll meet-up in the coming year, if you participate in any of the SE events.

Safe journeys ...

I rode a C10 for over 16 years. IMO it offers the absolute best weather protection of any bike (including my Honda Goldwing GL1800).

Before going to bar risers, remember this is a "sport-tourer" and the seating position is considerably different than you'd find on your Sportster or the CB500X (both of which are more upright). You should have a slight forward lean, supporting yourself, not on your wrists, but with your core muscles.
The CB is pretty upright. The XL has flat-ish bars so it's noticeably less upright than the CB. It's a 2000 so the seat's higher than the newer ones by a fair margin. The stock CB bars really aggravate my carpal tunnel syndrome but been too lazy to change them. One problem I'm having with the C10 is my right elbow is hurting - something about the angles, not loading. Also with the Russell seat I'm sliding forward. For the moment, I'll see if I adjust.

So far, almost 2000 miles since I pickled it up in August. Would have been closer to 3000 but there was some down time with the hydrolock check, the round trip of the float bowls to SISF then time to do the way overdue valve adjustment and reassembly. Used the CB during that time.

Have noticed that as the tach passes 6 it does switch from touring to sport

Been rained on twice and it does work well in the rain. I expect the fairing extenders would even keep the outer edges of my legs dry. It's been a long time since I had my 1200 Venture but I recall that one being pretty good as well.

Welcome to COG, and congrats on the new-to-you C-10, I'm not too far from you; I live in the Huntsville, AL area. Likely we'll meet-up in the coming year, if you participate in any of the SE events.

Safe journeys ...
Been out that way in the car a bunch of times in the car but not much past Scottsboro on two wheels. Did run through Stevenson up to Monteagle twice now. One of the reasons for the Connie is to cover those long straight runs like Scottsboro to Huntsville a little more pleasant. I hear there's some good roads northeast of Huntsville like AL-65.

Plan to be at the national rally though it looks like I'm late for a getting a lodge room.

Welcome from Western NC. I’m over by the SC border, more Foothills but close enough to the mountains. Put some fairing extenders on and you can ride all winter long, in comfort.

Yes, AL-65 is nice. There are also several options for coming off the mountain (Univ. of South & Monteagle) toward either South Pittsburg, TN or Cowan, TN that have nice twisties waiting for you.
Been out that way in the car a bunch of times in the car but not much past Scottsboro on two wheels. Did run through Stevenson up to Monteagle twice now. One of the reasons for the Connie is to cover those long straight runs like Scottsboro to Huntsville a little more pleasant. I hear there's some good roads northeast of Huntsville like AL-65.

Plan to be at the national rally though it looks like I'm late for a getting a lodge room.

Up north where it gets really cold, i would invert the lower 'scoops' . This pushes the air away and lets a little if the engine heat to warm the lower legs. It also kept the rain off my legs. I kniw some guys up north also shoved some foam into the inverted scoop to further eliminate any wind from filtering through.