• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New C14 Owner Thanks to Chris Dunn

Hello COG! My name is Kary and a brand new member to this forum. I recently purchased my 2012 C 14 that is sitting next to my 2011 Kawasaki Nomad 1700…they seem to get along together quite well!

I’ve been doing some reading on the C 14 and had acquired quite an elevated interest in the bike. Meeting Chris Dunn, another COG member, becoming the benefactor of Chris’ insight, love for the C 14, his hospitality and kindness, pushed me over the edge to find myself extremely excited about his Arabian Red C14; he fondly has displayed the name “Shiny” on the rear of.

After 30 minute demo, walking away from the bike for an hour or so to eat some lunch. I needed to ensure I wasn’t making an impulse purchase based upon my excitement and two convince this single 59-year-old man that “yes”, he could have a second bike in his garage, I gladly paid Chris for the bike, loaded up the extras he sent with me and started my 2 hour and 45 minute ride from Columbia, MO to Springfield, MO. In the midst of some gusty winds the bike performed wonderfully.

Although I know I don’t know enough about this bite yet, I am excited about being a part of this forum to learn those who have been enjoying the C14 for sometime. I need to better understand if ECU flashing would be beneficial and try to find someone in my area who can tune the suspension for me? Chris’s 5” 10” and I am 6’ 3”, 330lbs. I would think the adjustment would really help if that service is available in my area?

I’ve owned the 2011 Kawasaki Nomad for about five years and before that I on the Yamaha 1100…I continue to enjoy the Kawasaki brand and the C14 has taken it to a new level of appreciation. Glad to be apart of COG.

I’m not too sure what intros look like of new members and I’ve already gone long, but I will conclude by saying I have lived in Springfield for the last 23 years working for an international humanitarian relief nonprofit. I’m originally from the West Coast, but Missouri is home for me!

Attachments

• 40154DA6-D515-449C-939C-9BE5706F3002.jpeg
    40154DA6-D515-449C-939C-9BE5706F3002.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 93
Hi Kary, welcome to COG! I think that the more you get to know your new bike, the more you'll love it.

There have been some recent threads and COG articles about the things you're asking about... But in summary, you can easily adjust the suspension yourself up to a point, and as somebody who just got an ECU flash from SISF / Shoodaben engineering, I can say it was well worth the $$ just in terms of how smooth it has made the bike, without even considering the power increases.

Here are some links to help you:
Very good write up on old version of SISF's flash, his updated version should only be improved (I personally only have experience with his 'Mountain Runner Premium' flash): https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/steves-flash-w-decel-my-review.36188/

Info on Steve's flash vs ECO mode: https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/what-does-eco-mode-do-with-mrp.54338/post-651571

Info on suspension tuning - Check out the Concourier issue from Summer 2012, Fred Harmon has a great article on setting sag: https://concours.org/Library/LibM/#69

And another process w/ discussion about setting up the suspension:https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/setting-the-suspension-on-the-c14.11199/

Based on your height/weight/riding style you may find you run out of adjustment on the stock suspension, particularly the front (since the bike was designed with 2-up riding in mind, you'll find you actually have a decent amount of rear preload available compared to many other bikes... but it may not be enough if you ride aggressively). Many people opt for suspension upgrades and things like peg lowering kits, handlebar risers, etc. - these can make the bike much more comfortable on longer rides.

Finally, props to you for the nonprofit work you do! This is important work in our world and I'm thankful there are people like you doing it!

Welcome!
Nationals are in June at Eureka Springs not too far from you. Check it out on the events page. I'm sure there will be some there that would be willing to help you with your suspension. 😃

I'm just a little over an hour from you in southwest Missouri, maybe we can get together sometime and ride.

You probably already know this but there are some great roads just south of you in Arkansas.

Ride safe
Dale

Kary welcome to the group! As I was reading your post some of the already mentioned items came to mind.

You have some good experience already on motorcycles and must know by now there’s plenty of other fun items you can add to your machine AND we are here to help you spend your money!!!! As a fellow enthusiast it’s our sworn duty…

We (my wife and I ride 2up >95% of Blue’s miles) are little more on the zippy side and installed a Healtech Quick-shifter; AreaP Full Exhaust and Penske Suspension. Setup works well for us to enjoy leisurely rides or have all that we can get top end without breaking into a whole lot of $$$.

I would second the suspension thought that you may run out of comfortable adjustability and ride may get harsh in obtaining the recommended sag rates (that was our dilemma).

Glad you are excited - maybe see you at the Nationals that Dale mentioned?

Oh yeah - now that you are a member get into the technical files and read up there on all sorts of great stuff, archived Concourier magazine editions, etc.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Welcome!
Nationals are in June at Eureka Springs not too far from you. Check it out on the events page. I'm sure there will be some there that would be willing to help you with your suspension. 😃

I'm just a little over an hour from you in southwest Missouri, maybe we can get together sometime and ride.

You probably already know this but there are some great roads just south of you in Arkansas.

Ride safe
Dale
Dale,

Thanks for the info I appreciate it! There are some great southern roads indeed! I have yet to ride the Pig Trail.

The Pig Trail is a definitely a bucket list item. And you should do it, but we prefer the Northern Arkansas roads.

Haven't rode Eureka Springs area in a time. Looking forward to doing some roads in that area.

See ya there.
Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Welcome from another NOOB. You got a fantastic bike, I should know because I was a day late in buying it. :cry::D

Having mucked around here, this is a welcoming forum what doesn't make fun of people asking questions. None of that "look it up" stuff that you find on some motorcycle forums.

I live 50 miles east of St. Louis on I 64, perhaps our paths will cross at some future COG event.

Ride Well

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, for the shared info and help. I have learned a lot already by reading posts and the immense volume of wisdom this group holds.

I am loving my Connie….the only complaint I have is the Corbin seat. Wow, it is quite the butt hurt after being on the road for a couple of hours. 😬

Corbins have a reputation for taking awhile to break in. I put 20k on my used corbin and its still hard. For long trips (like to the national) i use an airhawk with a couple puffs in it. For when im home and only doing 150 mile rte's i ha e a stock 2016 seat on my 2010.

I started witha Sargent, way harderthan the corbin. Went toa 2009 gel that was better but , not being satisfied i went with a Corbin 2 piece, better but like i mentioned its still. FIRM. My c14 buddies swear by the russel day long...

I've had one RDL and it was nice. Came with the first Beemer I owned. A K 1100 LT (Light Truck). Smooth running. Mile eater.

Corbins have a reputation for taking awhile to break in. I put 20k on my used corbin and its still hard. For long trips (like to the national) i use an airhawk with a couple puffs in it. For when im home and only doing 150 mile rte's i ha e a stock 2016 seat on my 2010.

I started witha Sargent, way harderthan the corbin. Went toa 2009 gel that was better but , not being satisfied i went with a Corbin 2 piece, better but like i mentioned its still. FIRM. My c14 buddies swear by the russel day long...
Are the Airhawks universally sized or fitted according bike or seat style?

They are great. You have to play with the amount of air in them. Enough for support, not too much so they have no give. Quality product at a reasonable price.

They come in several sizes. Go to airhawk.net.

The secret is to not put too much air into it. Less is better, otherwise u feel like ur on a trampoline.

Are the Airhawks universally sized or fitted according bike or seat style?
There are a few different sizes. My wife, pillion rider, uses the size medium Air Hawk 2 model and loves it.

Product is 14”L x 14”W .

I have tried it a few times, messed with the amount of air in the bladder and just did not like it. I felt disconnected from the road…. I am a rider that likes feedback, feeling the road, and with this product I felt there was a delay or reduction of feedback to the point it bothered me. Guessing that makes no sense to most. (Maybe a smaller model would work for me? :unsure:)

Carol swears by it and she won’t ride without it. Carol also has some arthritis and neck problems and says this help reduce vibrations and extends her time before getting sore.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Wayne, seats are such a personal preference. I know I've tried seats that others rave about and they don't work for me. Glad to hear that Carol found something that allows her to enjoy riding together. Lucky man.

There are a few different sizes. My wife, pillion rider, uses the size medium Air Hawk 2 model and loves it.

Product is 14”L x 14”W .

I have tried it a few times, messed with the amount of air in the bladder and just did not like it. I felt disconnected from the road…. I am a rider that likes feedback, feeling the road, and with this product I felt there was a delay or reduction of feedback to the point it bothered me. Guessing that makes no sense to most. (Maybe a smaller model would work for me? :unsure:)

Carol swears by it and she won’t ride without it. Carol also has some arthritis and neck problems and says this help reduce vibrations and extends her time before getting sore.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I had the same reaction with the Air Hawk. I felt disconnected from the bike. I might not have got the air pressure correct. It also put pressure on some nerve in my legs. When I went to stop my legs were numb and I almost dropped my bike. I didn't notice the condition until I put my feet down. I was unwilling to try it again.

My wife uses it on back and loves it. I now use a bead seat cover. It allows air flow under your butt and in the rain there is someplace for the water to go.

Good luck finding what works for you.