• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Concours - Keller, TX

dalroo

Road Bike
After 15 years of HD ownership, I purchased a new Concours in late May. Live in the North Fort Worth/Keller area and looking for ride opportunities. When possible, I typically get up early on Saturday morning and ride for a couple of hours before it gets to hot. I also try to get out in the evenings for a bit after it starts to cool down. Always looking for folks to ride with - if anyone has riding plans, or would like to get in a brief a.m. ride this weekend, please let me know.

DALROO
dalroo@hotmail.com

Hi Dalroo,
Things tend to slow down around here in the heat of the summer.  I have not received to many events to put on the calendar lately.  Maybe someone will see this and make a morning Lunch ride out to Hard 8 BBQ.  I think there is a ride in Ok. in July also.

Nice to meet ya!  I'm in Lewisville.  I grab breakfast on a few Saturday mornings at the Blue Hanger at Northwest Regional airport.  There are quite a few ST guys who do the same.  I'd be up for a ride in the NW side of the area after sometime.  By new you mean you got an 11?

Thanks for the replies! And no on the 11, I purchased a new 2010 that had 430 miles on the odo. I think they were using it for demos at Honda/Kawasaki West. I rode it to Amarillo on the third day of ownership, spent a few days there, had the 1st service done there , and rode it home. The ride is 1000% better than I expected.

And not trying to set up anything formal, but I have breakfast most Saturday mornings at Dove Creek Restaurant on Hwy 377 in Roanoke. This week, following breaksfast I will be taking a ride out west toward Possum Kingdomn if anyone interested in joining. Let me know!

^-^ i live in the Aubrey area, love to ride and always up to meeting fellow c14 riders as i dont see many on the roads. i can ride this saturday morning for a few hours, and i haven't spent much time on that side of the metropolis. count me in!!!  ;D

Sounds like a reasonable plan.  I may do breakfast at the Blue Hanger and just swing by about 8:30.  I like watching the planes take off and land while having breakfast.  LOL

i have to work the night before (Friday night till 5am Saturday) but 8ish sounds good. count me in... if i cant make it, I'll have to catch y'all next time.

Hi Dalroo:
Welcome aboard! I also would like to do a breakfast ride, but I can't for the next two weekends because I will be riding to Arkansas both weekends. If you have a target place to ride to let me know and I will try to set up the DFW bunch to do a breakfast ride.

Dove Creek in Roanoke.  http://tinyurl.com/43k5b5h

I think I'll blow off my Blue Hanger buddies for the week just for some Concours solidarity.  :)  Then maybe I can convince y'all that NW Regional airport and watching planes take off and land is fun.  :)

Dove Creek it is! See y'all Saturday and yes, rbentdude, when you are back in town for an open weekend, we should plan something. Thanks all.

Howdy  ^-^ Dalroo,
Did you get the Blue 2010?
Look for another Blue 2010 around 8am for breakfast.
I will bring my wife and then we are riding up to Winstar to feed her slot machine.
Jeff & Mary

Welcome to the group. Your gonna like these folks!!!

You said you had a Harley and moved to the Connie.
That was a Big change in bike types.
(As a comparison) What are your thoughts on the Connie so far???

People around here (myself included) love to bash the Harleys,,,, But it is mostly good natured.
Kinda like us Navy types pick on the Marines.. (and them,,, us)  :))

Ride safe, Ted

Dalroo,

Welcome to the group and congrats on your C14!!! You will love it and I've never looked back on moving up to the world's premiere sport tourer.

I'm over here in Mesquite on the East side of the Metromess, but there will be times to get together in the future, particularly for a FM4 or Muenster ride.

Craig ^-^

Sounds like we will have a good group for breakfast and a some for the ride to follow. Great!

And yes, after 15 years of HD ownership, the Concours is a huge change - very different to say the least. I love HDs and owned several different bikes with the last being an Ultra Classic. I've ridden many 500+ miles days and several 700+ mile days on the Ultra and enjoyed almost every mile. The downside, although HD has made many improvements re: Horsepower, breaking, transmission, fuel capacity, etc, those were all made post my model. To upgrade to a new Ultra Classic with all the bells and whistles would cost -out the door - at least $28,000 -30,000. That became a very difficult pill to swallow as my priorities have changed in life.

In addition, a lot of the folks I've been riding with over the last few years have been on sport touring bikes and on a ride last fall, I spent the entire trip playing catch up. So I decided to give it a try and so far, I really like the Connie. I like the power, the braking, the ride for the most part, and the accessories made for touring. I will probably change the seat in time, and I wish there were options for foot placement on long rides. I miss my stereo and CB, but can fix part of that with an ipod for now, and aftermarket accessories later. Before kids, my wife rode with me a great deal, but not often anymore. She has been on the back of the Connie once, and not sure she would ever be happy on a longer ride. Nothing really bad, but she is used to the back seat on the Ultra Classic, and she was always very comfortable on it.

So, with all of that said, I am not prepared to say either is better, they are just very different, and for the price, I was willing to sacrifice the things I liked about Harley, and get the bells and whistles of the Kawi - which is really more appropriate for the typses of riding I am doing now.

i too went from a cruzer to the connie, and must say the major difference i found was the power and handling, although my cruzer was an 800 suzuki... not much power there...

i just wish my connie had cruise control, and a radio, and heated grips (09 model), and heated seat, and crash bars.... luckily ive started to save up, and i've got approximately $6.53 so far!  :D

lookin forward to the ride tomorrow, should be fun!  :motonoises:

Necron99 said:
Jeeze...how will we know who each of us is?  LOL

Thats easy...
He'll be the one that isn't riding your Connie, and you'll be the one that ain't riding his.    :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

Great time today! There were 4 Connies, and a couple of my Shrine buddies joined us, one on a ST, and the other on an FJR. After breakfast, we headed west and made our way most of the way to Possum Kingdom, stopping in Graford for a bottle of water, and some chat. Great group! State Road 2122 (?) that cuts through Perrin is a fantastic little stretch, and then Hwy 4 from Palo Pinto to Jacksboro also has a few good stretches. We only made one U-Turn as I led us north out of Jacksboro instead of east.

I think there are some photos floating of the 4 Concours' in Roanoke before the ride. Please post, and next ride sounds like it may start at the Blue Hangar. I'm in!

well gentlemen, i had a fantastic time riding with you guys, and i am lookin forward to the next ride. i feel like i made you guys turn back home too soon and hopefully next time i can stay out all day. see, this is the perfect excuse to tell the wife i need a GPS for my scoot so i dont have to be led back home, and i already explained it to her and she gave me a nonchalant "ok hon". all joking aside, i had fun riding those unfamiliar roads and i'm definitely looking forward to another ride.  :motonoises:

I had an awesome time today, folks  Nice to meet everyone.  That was my wife's longest ride ever and she was getting pretty tired at the end.  I'll get the pics posted tomorrow!

Here are the four pics the wife took.  Feel free to save them if you want.  You can get the higher res versions in the containing folder if you'd like at http://home.armourarchive.org/members/morgan/connie/2011Pics

1-July-2s.jpg

2-July-2s.jpg

3-July-2s.jpg

4-July-2s.jpg

Yeah, we weren't thinking.  Really should have repositioned the bikes for a better photo, and gotten a group shot.  Ah well, an excuse for the next ride!  :)

Just saw this, but I would be up for the next get together.

Regards........................Neal

Thought I'd stick my big nose in seein' how ya got the big belly showing up on your site already... ^-^
Mitch... the guy on the Red ST13

pulled the route from Saturday from my Garmin... working on coverting it to something I can post for folks to see... don't figure everyone has Garmin's Mapsource..
check here for updates..

Welcome to being a Concours14 owner.  I too sold my HD to upgrade after many years of HD ownership.  I loved the HD but there is just no comparison between the two bikes!  Ride safe out there!

Just check in looks like Mary and I missed a nice ride?  We did enjoy breakfast!!  when is the breakfast  Saturdays are always good for us!!  Thanks for posting the pictures!!!  READY for the RTE......
"Winstar" was good to us this time !!!

Mr. HAPPY

I am so glad you guys got together and had a nice ride.  I like it when things happen spontaneously but there is a down side.  Many COG members that do not use the forum did not know about it.  I try to catch things like this and let area members know but I was not able to this time.  If someone lets me or your area AAD know next time we can try to be sure no one is left uninvited.

Dalroo said:
Thanks for the replies! And no on the 11, I purchased a new 2010 that had 430 miles on the odo. I think they were using it for demos at Honda/Kawasaki West. I rode it to Amarillo on the third day of ownership, spent a few days there, had the 1st service done there , and rode it home. The ride is 1000% better than I expected.

And not trying to set up anything formal, but I have breakfast most Saturday mornings at Dove Creek Restaurant on Hwy 377 in Roanoke. This week, following breaksfast I will be taking a ride out west toward Possum Kingdomn if anyone interested in joining. Let me know!

Hey, Dalroo.

I test drove that bike at Kawasaki West back in early- or mid-March when I was thinking about buying a bike. I really wanted that Blue and ABS, but was hesitant about one that I wasn't sure about being broken in. I know that I rode it pretty hard on my test drive.

I ended up buying a Black '11 from Grapevine Kawasaki for less that $200 more than that blue one. Got it the end of March and haven't regretted in since. I really like the bike, but have a seat and a slipon exhaust in my future as soon as I can scrape up the cash. Already made one trip to the Three Twisted Sisters on it back in April. (Am thinking of trying Deal's Gap in September.)

Glad you guys had a nice trip riding out my way. I'm between Lake Palo Pinto and Gordon (but work in Arlington). You guys really missed out by not turning south on Hwy 4 from Palo Pinto and taking the trip down to Santo and I-20. That is a great, twisty road that I've spent many a Saturday morning riding. It's listed on most Texas maps as a designated "scenic drive". Maybe next time you're out my way you can try it out. There are a lot of nice roads out my way if you'll just stay off of the major ones.

You should also check out Mary's Cafe in Strawn for lunch. Just don't order the "large" chicken fried steak. You'll have to crank in that rear shock about 5 clicks to get home.

Maybe I can catch up with you guys the next time you ride out PK way.

I too live in Keller, TX.  I have a 2009 C14.  Great bike.  I try to ride every Sunday morning when I'm in town. On the road with job most of the month. If you guys do a Saturday day gig I would like to meet up and talk shop and what not. 

All the best,

katt-daddi

Did you stop on the side of 820 south about two weeks ago for a guy on an older green Connie? If so, that was me.... thanks for stopping... ^-^

Nick Getzendanner
IBA #42459; COG #9246

Katt-daddi - I will post for the next ride. Not this weekend, too busy and too hot, but hopefully soon. And Nick, glad someone stopped to help, but it wasn't me. If I would have seen you, I would've stopped though.............

There are lots of members in the area just looking for suggestions for rides and someone to say lets go.

I'm going on a pie run to Hutto tomorrow, so I won't be at the Blue Hanger.  But here's a map.

http://tinyurl.com/3f8vu59

Just around the corner from Dove Creek.  :)

Congrats on the new bike  :beerchug:  I bought a 2010 a little over a year ago and absolutely crazy about this bike.  I've already went on a few longer trips of which my favorite so far is Mountain View, AR.  I have already racked up a few miles....11,200 fun miles currently  ;D  I'd be game to ride some...especially will be wanting to do some longer rides this fall.  The C-14 is an awesome bike!!

Well let's make sure to get ya out on a ride.  :)  We're starting to get a nice little core of Connie guys up here on the north end of the metro area.

Sounds great...I will start riding a lot more as it cools off  a Little.  It doesn't have to be cold, just not 105  :-\

Dalroo said he'd be there about 8.  The joint opens at about 7.  Guys on motorcycles start showing up before they open.  I got there at 7:15 last week.  I intend on being as early as possible this week again.

Pulled up this old post as it needs an update. Jagman, SJ, and I live fairly close together and decided to get out for breakfast and a short ride today. Well, the best laid plans........after a chilly start, the temps kept going up and up (70), and we kept getting further and further. I ended up just a shade over 300 miles.

Thanks SJ for the invite, and great riding with you guys. Great roads as well. What a great way to end 2011. Let's watch the weather and try to kick off 2012 in a similar fashion!

Dalroo said:
Pulled up this old post as it needs an update. Jagman, SJ, and I live fairly close together and decided to get out for breakfast and a short ride today. Well, the best laid plans........after a chilly start, the temps kept going up and up (70), and we kept getting further and further. I ended up just a shade over 300 miles.

Thanks SJ for the invite, and great riding with you guys. Great roads as well. What a great way to end 2011. Let's watch the weather and try to kick off 2012 in a similar fashion!

Sounds like a great time. Isn't it awesome the way COG works?  This is just one great reason to join and support the club.

Dalroo, saw your tread again.
Wanted to renew the invite to you ( and others) for Big Bend and Wildflower rides with other COGgers in the Spring.
Big Bend is March 23-25. (Alpine Texas, Davis Mountains, and Big Bend Nat'l Park area)
Wildflower (Kerrville, Hunt Texas) is in mid April. (April 14 and 15).

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted! I am looking at Big Bend, but need to firm up my work schedule to see if it works. Unfortunately, I know the Wildflower is out for me due to a conflict with a volunteer charity event. Either way, I hope to get to ride with the group more in the future.

Great!
As soon as you know, make reservations for a room.
I arranged 15 rooms at the Maverick Inn, in Alpine.
We have to release any rooms that are not booked by March 5.
I know we have time till then, as they need to fill the Motel if possible.

There is another discussion going about the Big Bend Ride with info on Motels etc....
I'll try to attach it to this note later.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,31023.0.html

Ride safe, Ted