• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Concours owner and Delkevic exhaust review

trcraig11

Hello all, I finally grew up and sold my ZX-10R to make room for a 2019 Concours 14. I don't need to tell you how great of an all arounder it is - my commute is 60 miles round trip so it made sense, and makes me want to ride every day. I'm still getting used to the weight in the corners, but acceleration and braking performance hasn't disappointed me - a tall order coming from the 10R! I have put about 3k miles on it so far and the only thing modification I felt was immediately necessary was getting rid of the massive stock muffler. I did research on this forum, and even though I was a little nervous because I wasn't familiar with the company I purchased the 13" Delkevic stainless slip on. So far the quality has impressed especially for the price point. I installed it myself without problem and I am far from mechanically inclined, fit and finish very nice. Happy to report that if you angle the midpipe correctly there is ample clearance below the hard case, and I haven't had any heat issues even on 90+ degree days. Since I kept the factory header, the pipe is not too loud, it's just right! Under acceleration it makes itself known, but at steady cruise you can barely hear it over wind noise. Plus it was a cheap way to get rid of 15lbs. I have been riding for 17 years and am spoiled to have this amazing do it all machine under me - safe riding all!

Craig

P.S. was going to add a couple photos but wasn't clear to me how to do this from file on my computer.

I hope you have removed the DBkiller... it should be named HP killer. I have dynoe'd several bikes with the HP killer in then out, there is a LOSS of appx 10 hp over STOCK with the HP killer installed.
Steve

I thought it would effect the hp... No idea you could gain 10 hp, that's some serious easy to grab extra ponies!

Funny, first thing I noticed on my new to me 2012 C14 was the previous owner had the DB killer still in place? I asked him if it was removable and he said he never even noticed it was there. First thing I did when I got home was remove it and was very happy with the improved sound, now I'm even more thrilled to find out I added some free horsepower! Thanks Steve!

Well it's not so much that removing the HPkiller added HP... it didn't. Here's the math, based on what I've seen on the dyno

Add Delkevic slip on with NO HP killer = +3 HP over stock

HPKILLER takes away 13 HP.

Delkevic muffler with HPKILLER is now 10 HP LESS than stock.

Supported by dyno runs.

Steve

If you just measure the diameters of the exhaust and calculate the cross-sectional areas with and without the butt-plug...it's kinda obvious the Delk with the plug is gonna have worse flow than stock.

Congrats on the bike. I have had delkevic exhausts on my last three. Like them a lot vs price point. Each has a different volume When removing the db killer, I'll suggest going to Ace and getting the appropriate metric acorn nut. I leave them in that little hole to avoid whistling.

Btw for my Connie and legs, I bought a chrome shield for the mid pipe off amazon for like $12. Kept my pants from burning a second time.

Have you been running your bike with the HPKILLER IN?

I bought my bike with the delvekic already installed, how would I know if the dbkiller has been removed without out taking things apart? I want to utilize maximum hp but not really looking for the bike to be any louder than what it is.
I'm guessing I need to pull the muffler apart. Grr

I bought my bike with the delvekic already installed, how would I know if the dbkiller has been removed without out taking things apart? I want to utilize maximum hp but not really looking for the bike to be any louder than what it is.
I'm guessing I need to pull the muffler apart. Grr

Just look in the back of the muffler. if you see a second pipe inside the 2" outlet, the KPKILLER is still installed. it's removed by removing that cap screw right at the bottom of the outlet and pulling the HPKILLER out.
Steve

So. Looks like I need to remove mine also. Steve you did the ECU flashing for me. Will re flashing be necessary?

I hope you have removed the DBkiller... it should be named HP killer. I have dynoe'd several bikes with the HP killer in then out, there is a LOSS of appx 10 hp over STOCK with the HP killer installed.
Steve
Hi Steve, so I have a vance and Hines C-zone can on my 2015 C14 which I bought with bike. Will the DBkiller be seen if its there looking in tail pipe? Jim

I d
Hi Steve, so I have a vance and Hines C-zone can on my 2015 C14 which I bought with bike. Will the DBkiller be seen if its there looking in tail pipe? Jim
on't know if the cs1 had a hpkiller, I've never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Anything that restricts the 2" outlet would be considered a hpkiller.