• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NEW EVENT-Buffalo County Rally-Wisconsin

ZG/ZN Kim

I just wanted to bring to your attention a new Wisconsin rally on August 27and 28 in Waumandee, Wisconsin.
I realize that it is 6 months away, and it is hard to plan anything these days. But there are a couple items that needed emphasis:

-This rally will have both tent camping, and cabins on the same site. Tent camping requires no reservations. The owner has reserved 6 cabins until 5/1 for COG, after 5/1 reservations will be based upon availability
-There will be no registration fees, but you absolutely have to register. Limited to 25 members.
-This is a members only rally. Non-members can only attend being a guest of a member.

The camping/cabin combination at this event was something that was sought after the past few years. Jeff Hoff(Hudson,WI) can be thanked for finding this venue.
Please refer to the COG event calendar for more info: https://concours.org/event-4143571

Last edited:
Hey Kim, I’m guessing the Rally starts on Friday 8/27 not the 26th.
Thank you for setting this up!
Registered.

Kim, Thanks so much for all the time and effort involved in setting this up. I can only guess that it could be a little bit of a pita. Appreciate it.

I'm in. This is the further in advance that I've planned anything for the past two years. Sounds too fun to pass up.

Thanks for getting this set up Kim! Really looking forward to it. At the moment, we've got 4 SDians coming in for the fun.

Glad to hear there will be representation from SD, I think it will be worth your trip. I agree with Cookies' comment,"this will be fun". Jeff and I got some work to do to make it both fun and safe.
To all:
If you do register and need to cancel later, make sure you contact Motowojo, top notch fellow who can fix anything.

Last edited:
Just a reminder, the resort cabins are held for COG members until 5/1, after that it will be first come first served. Hard to believe but this event is only 4 months/2 weeks away.
A lot of good events coming up this year in the NC area.

Sorry guys, but I have to cancel. My high school class reunion, a major one( 50!), did not happen last year due to covidphobia. It was rescheduled for 8/28. Since I'm on the committee, I need to be there.

Have fun.

The NC is very busy the next 2 months. Super Bike Races in Brainerd, late July, Camping/Riding @ Back to the Shack, mid-August , The Iconic Spider Ride in September. Plus the Buffalo County Rally in late-August. All will be great events, depending on what you like to do.

Yesterday, I rode up to Buffalo County and did some reconnaissance :

-There currently are 3 of the standard cabins still available. They are not reserved and can be rented out to the general public. So if you want one, better get at it
-There is no gas station in Waumandee. Closest stations are 15 miles+/-, so I would recommend not riding in on fumes
-I will have a couple coolers with ice and water. Beer is available in Waumandee. If you are somewhat of a "beer-snob", you would be well advised to pick some up on the way there.
-Some ride sheets have been written, they are attached. You can create your own GPX file, or I have a very capable friend working on them also, the GPX files should be available in 7-10 days here. I have ridden nearly all the roads this summer, so hopefully I did not miss anything.
-There will also be a couple people familiar with the area, that are willing to lead some rides
-We will have Wisconsin Highway maps, Great River Road maps, and La Crosse Tourist info available
-We will be setting up things mid-day Thursday(8/26). We will either have a very simple supper cooked over the fire, or we will wander up to the "Waumandee House" for pizza. In any case, please feel free to make it on Thursday, and enjoy the evening campfire.
-There currently are 5 spots still available for registration. 25 people is the max we can take this year.

Attachments

• TRI STATE LOOP.jpg
    TRI STATE LOOP.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 149
  • WILDCAT MTN LOOP.jpg
    WILDCAT MTN LOOP.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 166
There is an old school gas station about 2 miles north of Waumandee. I have filled up there a couple times with no troubles, but I am not sure how much fuel they go through. Otherwise Fountain City or Alma are your best bets.

-Some ride sheets have been written, they are attached. You can create your own GPX file, or I have a very capable friend working on them also, the GPX files should be available in 7-10 days here. I have ridden nearly all the roads this summer, so hopefully I did not miss anything.

Tri-State Loop | 309 mi | 6h 36m (ride time) | Download GPX File

Tri-State_Loop.jpg

Last edited:

Wildcat Mtn Loop | 268 mi | 5h 10m (ride time) | Download GPX File

Wildcat_Mtn_Loop.jpg

Last edited:
- The menu is finalized. Better be ready for some "Carb Loading". Northern fare, Menu is attached
-The group also will have a added bonus:
Friday evening, The Vikings vs Buffalo preseason game will be on the radio
Saturday afternoon: Packers vs Chiefs preseason game. I realize most of you will be riding at this time, but I won't be

Please try to download the routes if you travel by GPS, I think you will enjoy them

Attachments

• BUFFALO COUNTY MENU.txt
    913 bytes · Views: 158
Here is another (shorter) loop for the Buffalo County Rally inspired by the "Favorite Ride" article in the July 2021 edition of Rider Magazine.

Black Lightning Loop | 122 mi | 2h 37m (ride time) | Download GPX File

Black_Lightning_Route.png

-Mark, thanks for posting the route. It is a nice area, and it does get some attention from the magazines.
-For the out of staters, 3 days ago the weather was predicted to be awesome, now it looks a bit unsettled. By no means a "wash-out", but there is a chance of rain Thursday-Sunday.

Everyone, ride/drive safe.

Look forward to seeing you and Gail. Yes Waumandee Creek is near by, and will probably rise. Just hope it does not rise too much.

I do recommend for everyone: Rain gear, dry footwear and a couple extra pair of dry socks.

Thanks for all the hard work to get this set up Kim. Thanks Mark for getting the routes built!

The 5 riders from SD will be rolling east later this afternoon. Probably laying up for the night in Austin. Then plan to make the dash into Waumandee tomorrow morning. Hope to unpack, get acclimated and then may try that Black Lightning Loop.....weather may change our plans but good to be optimistic. :)

See you all soon!

I want to thank every hardy soul who attended. We all know how challenging the weather was on Thursday/Friday. But we were able to get a campfire in each evening.
I also want to thank everyone who helped pack up and clean up the camping area
"If" the event is held next year, there will be changes. I am going to come up with a quick questionnaire and send to those who attended. Feedback whether negative or positive would be appreciated.
I have attached the photo, that guy with the drone took

Attachments

• DRONE PHOTO1.jpg
    DRONE PHOTO1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 147
Thanks Kim and all those that pitched in for this event. It was an absolutely amazing time. As noted, the weather was a little damp at times but hanging out with all the great people, the amazing food, and the fun around the campfires quickly and easily overcame the sogginess. Mike took a lot of great photo's and I will do my best to load them. Couple of things to note....you will notice that in many of the group shots....Kim is a blur.....he was working like a mad-man so everyone else could enjoy the rally....again, huge thank you!

OK, here are the pictures Mike took to document this amazing trip;

Attachments

• BCR.jpg
    BCR.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 143
  • BCR1.jpg
    BCR1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 153
  • BCR2.jpg
    BCR2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 138
  • BCR3.jpg
    BCR3.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 145
  • BCR4.jpg
    BCR4.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 132
Set 2....

Attachments

• BCR5.jpg
    BCR5.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 135
  • BCR9.jpg
    BCR9.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 148
  • BCR8.jpg
    BCR8.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 139
  • BCR7.jpg
    BCR7.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 130
  • BCR6.jpg
    BCR6.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 153
Set 3;

Attachments

• BCR10.jpg
    BCR10.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 148
  • BCR12.jpg
    BCR12.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 152
  • BCR13.jpg
    BCR13.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 140
  • BCR14.jpg
    BCR14.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 138
  • BCR15.jpg
    BCR15.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 143
Set 4;

Attachments

• BCR16.jpg
    BCR16.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 139
  • BCR18.jpg
    BCR18.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 131
  • BCR17.jpg
    BCR17.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 136
  • BCR19.jpg
    BCR19.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 142
  • BCR20.jpg
    BCR20.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 144
Set 5;

Attachments

• BCR21.jpg
    BCR21.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 154
  • BCR23.jpg
    BCR23.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 145
  • BCR24.jpg
    BCR24.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 139
  • BCR26.jpg
    BCR26.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 147
  • BCR25.jpg
    BCR25.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 146
Set 6;

Attachments

• BCR27.jpg
    BCR27.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 144
  • BCR28.jpg
    BCR28.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 131
  • BCR29.jpg
    BCR29.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 145
  • BCR30.jpg
    BCR30.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 145
  • BCR31.jpg
    BCR31.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 149
Set 7;

Attachments

• BCR34.jpg
    BCR34.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 138
  • BCR33.jpg
    BCR33.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 139
  • BCR32.jpg
    BCR32.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 133
  • BCR35.jpg
    BCR35.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 139
  • BCR36.jpg
    BCR36.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 144
Set 8;

Attachments

• BCR37.jpg
    BCR37.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 131
  • BCR38.jpg
    BCR38.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 128
  • BCR41.jpg
    BCR41.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 121
  • BCR40.jpg
    BCR40.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 122
  • BCR39.jpg
    BCR39.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 115
Set 8;

Attachments

• BCR42.jpg
    BCR42.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 109
  • BCR43.jpg
    BCR43.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 115
  • BCR44.jpg
    BCR44.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 109
  • BCR45.jpg
    BCR45.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 112
  • BCR46.jpg
    BCR46.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 103
Set 9;

Attachments

• BCR48.jpg
    BCR48.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 115
  • BCR47.jpg
    BCR47.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 113
  • BCR46.jpg
    BCR46.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 115
  • BCR49.jpg
    BCR49.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 110
  • bcr50.jpg
    bcr50.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 107
And the last set. Thanks again for the great pictures Mike!

Oh and I think I can speak on behalf of the SD crew.....we plan to join for the next Buffalo County Rally!

Attachments

• BCR51.jpg
    BCR51.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 109
  • BCR52.jpg
    BCR52.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 119
  • BCR53.jpg
    BCR53.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 116
  • BCR58.jpg
    BCR58.jpg