• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Guy from North Georgia...Shopping

thereal_od

Hi! I’m currently without a motorcycle. Sold my KTM 1190 Adventure S back in September with the intention of buying a true sport tourer. I had dreams of taking the big KTM on all sorts of off road and BDR adventures. As it turns out most of my rides are all day rides throughout North GA, East TN, and Western NC. I never got real comfortable in the twisties on the Kato. Due to unforeseen circumstances I couldn’t buy another bike immediately.
Fast forward to this week, I rented a 2016 Concours for two days of riding with my 19 year old son. He rides a Tracer. I felt like I immediately meshed with the big Connie! The power was so effortless, and both my son and I were amazed at how it handled the twisties. I’m a tech type guy and like all the latest greatest gadgets on bikes, but it really seems the C14 doesn’t need them. With the exception of cruise control. Not for comfort but for the sake of my license. Every time I looked at the speedo it seemed I was going 90! Anyway, I plan to rent an FJR soon for comparison. But I don’t see me meshing with anything like I did with the Connie!

Not trying to talk you into wanting an immediate upgrade, but as good as the stock bike is, you'd be surprised what an ECU flash can do for the Connie. I've ridden C14's with Ivan's flash and Shoodaben's flash. Never side-by-side, but I can say the engine is even more impressive with either... better low-end power, better fuel economy, smoother shifts.

The FJR is a great bike also. To me, it's more of an all-around "gentleman" while the C14 has the potential to be an angry MMA fighter when you want to spend some time in the octagon. As for cruise control, you can put on a Rostra for a few hundred bucks all the way to the very slick MCCruise for around a grand. Given that a new Connie runs about $2400 less than the FJR, you could spring for the cruise control, do an ECU flash, and dump the potato launcher muffler for a new slip on and match the FJR's price. In the end, all things being equal, I personally can't get enough of the C14 engine.

Keep us posted on your comparison. There are a lot of COG members that currently ride FJR's as well, so someone else here will be happy to answer questions on either bike after you've checked out the FJR. Good luck!

Good to see another potential C14 rider in N Ga. I’m quite pleased with my 2014.
Welcome!
Ron

Thanks for the warm welcome! And yes, I already have a growing list of mods I'd like to do! I'll be buying used, there seems to be some pretty good deals on late model/low mile bikes in the southeast. So, that leaves more funds for mods.
Quick question from those more experienced with the C14. The clutch pull on the 2016 I rented seemed really stiff, especially for a hydraulic clutch. When I returned the bike I sat on another 2016 and the clutch pull seemed much lighter, but it's hard to say without riding them back to back. The fluid was full and clear on the rental. I know this is subjective, but does this sound normal? Or was there possibly something going on with the rental bike?

Posted an RTE to Center, AL last night for 2/27/2021 if the weather cooperates. It'll show up on the SE Events calendar soon.

Come on out, bike or not.
Ron